R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

Print Wikipost

Like Tree74Likes

Old 01-15-2016, 03:35 AM   #1816
Tech Initiate

I saw someone using the stock yz-2 body on the 22 3.0.
Anyone tried the JC s2 for tlr 3.0 on the yz-2?
matterooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:41 AM   #1817
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodopsine View Post
Race and drift Japan looks like they have both in stock.

http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...36_137_181_185
http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...b8bnu4unlm5lu6

Martin Paradis
Thanks Martin.

Sent in my order. I get a little skeptical ordering from overseas like that in lieu of Amain/Tower type places so we will have to see. Seems to have good stock and good prices.
Crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #1818
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
Thanks Martin.

Sent in my order. I get a little skeptical ordering from overseas like that in lieu of Amain/Tower type places so we will have to see. Seems to have good stock and good prices.
Don't worry about this shop. I've ordered from them many time (far too many for the good of my bank account!) and never had any problems. Fast shipping, everything is well packaged. Also, when you have a question or concern, Tim is very quick to answer, given the time zone difference.

Martin
rhodopsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #1819
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hi guys. I am wanting to buy a yz2 and maybe a yz4. But I was just wondering if these yz's are made specifically for carpet tracks and high traction clay or if they also do good on low to med bite clay. I also would want to run it on my outdoor dirt track in summer. And what is this ymax conversion? Is it a bunch of parts you buy individually or is there a kit that comes with everything needed and what is the conversion for? And how much does the conversion cost? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #1820
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
Hi guys. I am wanting to buy a yz2 and maybe a yz4. But I was just wondering if these yz's are made specifically for carpet tracks and high traction clay or if they also do good on low to med bite clay. I also would want to run it on my outdoor dirt track in summer. And what is this ymax conversion? Is it a bunch of parts you buy individually or is there a kit that comes with everything needed and what is the conversion for? And how much does the conversion cost? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...ftc042/p465631 . Ymax conversion will run you about $150 after you buy all the separate parts . The conversion is for moving the motor and battery about an inch rearward to get the 36/64 front/rear weight bias that is magical on low bite dirt. It also raises the center of gravity .
Old 01-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #1821
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetburner View Post
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...ftc042/p465631 . Ymax conversion will run you about $150 after you buy all the separate parts . The conversion is for moving the motor and battery about an inch rearward to get the 36/64 front/rear weight bias that is magical on low bite dirt. It also raises the center of gravity .
So it in the part you linked it lists all the other parts to complete. One being bmax gear box. Do you use all the yz gears and just swap them into the bmax gear box or do you still need to get a bmax transmission too? I really like the look of the yz2 but would it be better for me to just buy a bmax2 instead? Or are there other upgrades on the yz2 that make it worth buying the yz and then doing the conversion?
Old 01-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #1822
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
So it in the part you linked it lists all the other parts to complete. One being bmax gear box. Do you use all the yz gears and just swap them into the bmax gear box or do you still need to get a bmax transmission too? I really like the look of the yz2 but would it be better for me to just buy a bmax2 instead? Or are there other upgrades on the yz2 that make it worth buying the yz and then doing the conversion?

You can just buy the Bmax 2 ball diff and its a direct fit to your yz2 tranny case. One thing I learned the hard way is that the ball diff gear where you put the 3/32nds balls, the balls only go in from one side not from both. Thought my balls weren't the right size and took me a while to figure out that I had to flip the gear over and the balls fit fine.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #1823
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
The gears x 2 http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...2-503i/p242405 idler shaft x2 http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...2-303i/p242492 and gear cover http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...-304gc/p242436 . Your better off converting the yz-2 as the suspension and steering geometry is better . It fits my driving style so I am gonna stick with it on dirt this summer.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #1824
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not all the parts linked on the amain site exist (or are available any more) - I found options for just about everything by digging through the bmax manual or searching. If you get new gears and bearings and everything it'll run closer to $250, though part of that is the ball-diff which you're probably getting anyway. Note that the factory-rc site has more parts listed than amain.

For the wing mount (throws a '404' from their linked list) use B2-001WB; it will require a 3x25 screw to mount to the transmission (assuming it lines up when mounted to the YZ shock tower - perhaps it doesn't, which is why this isn't listed anywhere.)

The waterfall support mount they link comes up NLA but another turns up with the part number search: B2-118MR

If you fully stuff the transmission, you'll need 6 5x10x4 bearings and 2 10x15x4 bearings in addition to the noted idler shafts, idler gears, diff, and top shaft. That would cut down on the time to switch, but that may not be something you really care about doing where time is that much of an issue.

The screw set is currently on back-order (along with the ball diff and the waterfall mount set so it really doesn't matter) but it requires 3 3x35 cap head screws; 1 3x8 set screw; 1 2x12 self tapping cap head.

Assuming I'm looking at the appropriate manual the relevant steps are 10, 13, 14, and 15, 17.

I'd link all the relevant bits but I can't yet - not enough posts. I'm going to give the hobby a try again after 15 years hiatus (oldest car in my collection is from '88...) with the YZ-2. Should be interesting. I'm hoping this hobby is a little less expensive than racing full-size cars (even just Autocross is pricey...)

C
ccjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #1825
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Does anyone know where you get the alloy castor blocks for the YZ-2? I have seen them in pictures on the petit-rc setup sheet for the YZ-2 under the INDOOR listings under Carson Werimont's Nurburgring EOS setup.

Are these available somewhere or is this a one-off team driver thing?
freakshow__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #1826
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

deleted

Last edited by KrAcOn; 01-19-2016 at 09:56 AM.
KrAcOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #1827
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow__ View Post
Does anyone know where you get the alloy castor blocks for the YZ-2? I have seen them in pictures on the petit-rc setup sheet for the YZ-2 under the INDOOR listings under Carson Werimont's Nurburgring EOS setup.

Are these available somewhere or is this a one-off team driver thing?
http://www.mibosport.com/aluminum-fr...ng-hub-carrier
Old 01-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #1828

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Or: http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...oducts_id=6018 but not imported by Amain yet that I'm aware of.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #1829
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to cclifton

I was wondering if someone could help me with setup on my yz2 with the ymax conversion. We will be running on high bite dry clay with slicks. Im just looking for a starting point for this bigger race I will be going to in march. Any help will be appreciated as I usually run on quite a low bite track. This will be in 17.5 class.

Thanks
Chris
Grants Pass, OR
cclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #1830
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

For those running the YMAX conversion on the yz2 what body are you running.
Serpent 988, OS speed shimo edition, Serpent 977 35th anniversary. OS speed shimo edition Serpent 977 evo2, Novarossi Mito WC35 2017, Shepherd Velox, O.S Speed r2102, Motonica p81rs2, REDS Racing M7 WCS V3.0, , CM 1/8 INFINITY O.S Speed 2103.
HSV427 is offline   Reply With Quote