Wiki Posts
Search

New to the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to the hobby

Hello everyone!

For Christmas I have bought my boys (11 and 7) their first RC vehicles. I purchased the ECX Torment for each. I have seen several places that the slipper clutch is factory set a little too stiff so should be adjusted. Also that the shocks are a little mushy out of the box and that the trucks roll rather easily. I plan on adjusting the slipper clutch and putting dampers on the shocks, also trying to score some Slash Toe, Camber, Turnbuckles to set up for roll over.

I also bought my own Traxxas Rustler for Christmas from my wife I will be putting Aluminum Hexes on the rear and putting an RPM front bumber on this guy.

I plan on performing the water break in on all three trucks (they are all the 2WD brushed systems).

I scored an ECX Circuit and a Helion Dominus 4x4 10SC on Craigslist for a great price as well that are in great shape and have only been run a couple of times. Planning on selling the Dominus and gifting the Circuit to my brother so he can bash with us.

Is there anything I'm missing? Should I be doing something in addition to any of this? I can't wait for Christmas morning and getting out with my boys and running the snot out of these trucks!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

I bought my son an ECX Torment for this birthday a few months ago. It's a perfect truck for him. But you're right, it does have A LOT of roll and can be a handful controlling on a track. I haven't had to adjust the slipper clutch on his truck though. You will want to resolder the wires for the motor and maybe get some better tires. The Traxxas wheels/tires will mount up on the Torment too.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm new as well but one thing I didn't notice u say was ride height. Maybe drop the back end a little more than the front and also drop the front a bit?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. For the wheel/tire swap, do I need to change to aluminum hexes as well on the Torment? and for ride height do I need to do more than add dampers to the shocks?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

I'm just running the plastic hexes that came on his truck. He beats the crap out of the thing and we haven't any problem with the wheel hexes The only thing that broke so far was a front A arm after hitting the corner of the house.

As for ride height, it depends on where you'll be running it at. If you're going to be going through tall grass in the backyard, etc...then I would just leave the ride height a lone, otherwise, I would remove a clip or two to all 4 shocks to lower it a bit. I actually mounted my old traxxas rustler shocks on the Torment but haven't tried it out yet.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Nice! I think I'll have them running at the park nearby to start out. LOTS of grass with some hills and a good amount of cement to learn on. I've seen that a lot of people have put Traxxas big bore shocks on these guys, but I've also seen several people (including Big Squid) say that these shocks are very well made, they just need heavier oil in them.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RPM Bellcrank

I just seen RPM is now making a Servo-Saver Eliminator Bellcrank for the ECX Boost, 2wd Ruckus, 2wd Circuit & 2wd Torment. I seen some people were using the Associated T4/B4 servo saver on their ECX vehicles. RPM has taken of all the guess work out for you if/when the time comes to update the steering.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rustyus
I just seen RPM is now making a Servo-Saver Eliminator Bellcrank for the ECX Boost, 2wd Ruckus, 2wd Circuit & 2wd Torment. I seen some people were using the Associated T4/B4 servo saver on their ECX vehicles. RPM has taken of all the guess work out for you if/when the time comes to update the steering.
Good to know. Thanks! RPM always comes to the rescue