R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default A new spin on mounting tires?

O.K. .. YES, I did use the search function before posting another thread about mounting tires.

I've had reasonable luck with my tire mounting skills but I came across something new at my local track which may be old news but it's new to me. I was commenting on the fact that my buddy's pink tapers on his truck were a bit smaller diameter than mine (still truck tires, not buggy) He had just mounted them up but I didn't get to see his procedure. In looking closer it appears he cut the bead completely off the new tire before mounting it up.

Is this a common practice? It made for a good lower profile tire. His glue job was impecable but I'm curious if anyone does this and the reason for it as well as any problems with them coming apart.

Thanks for any help.. Figured I'd toss this out there before I start hacking away at a new set of pink Pins.
eri3f0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
Tech Addict

That has been a common tire setup for years. Especially for indoor high bite smooth tracks. It worked very well. It lowered the center of gravity and gave less tire deflection while cornering and because of the smaller diameter it gave a little better acceleration. They were a big advantage to the select few that could mount them properly. Recently most tracks have not allowed them anymore, I know this to be true for 1/8 buggies but I am not sure about 1/10 truck. I think the reason was that most racers that were new to the hobby or racers that showed up to a new track and did not have them in there pit box were at a disadvantage, that and the fact that once you did this to your tires they were pretty much only good for one particular track. So for some it was a money issue.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote