Wiki Posts
Search

Origins of the term "zero-offset" for SCT wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Origins of the term "zero-offset" for SCT wheels

saw a post mentioning the following that got me curious on where the origins of what we consider zero offset originates from with SCT wheels:

Originally Posted by Eric0424
None of our short course truck actually run 0 off-set, not sure who started that rumor, but it's another falsehood that's been running a while. As far as I know all the SC wheels run a positive off-set to some degree or another. The closest thing I have to true zero is a pair Pro-Line Renegades for the rear of the Slash (and F/R Slash 4x4) at 4.11mm positive off-set. A zero off-set means the mount face of the wheel is dead center with the width of the wheel and the Slash comes close. The +3 wheels add 1.5mm to each side of the truck they are designed for, whether it's the Slash, SC10, Losi etc., and a +3 rear Slash wheel would be pretty close to zero at 2.61mm.

At one point some people thought "zero off-set" meant stock 2wd Slash off-set, despite the fact the Slash has two different wheels on the 2wd.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

From full scale cars/trucks, 0 offset means that the mounting surface (vertical face) of the wheel/rim in in the center of the wheel (equal distance from the inside edge of the tire to the mounting surface as from the mounting surface to the outer edge of the wheel). This places no "additional load" on the inside or outside of the wheel.

From what I have seen RC traditionally places the mounting surface on the outside edge of the wheel (slightly inboard of the outside edge of the wheel). I assume that on SCT the "outset" is the amount the mounting surface (the vertical face) is moved inboard from this standard location.

Tim