Search
Like Tree11Likes

Carpet/Astro tracks in the US

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gokarter64
4wd front rims for the wide staggers. They fit right on with no trimming. From what i have heard is that noone runs front foams on astro
Originally Posted by JsK
For the wide staggers on a 4wd wheel you will run an open cell insert cut down to taste.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:45 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mark how much does your setup change between NE and RC PLUS ?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
Mark how much does your setup change between NE and RC PLUS ?
It doesn't anymore. If NW were smoother, aka the dirt under the turf gets chucked out the backdoor, I'd run the car a little lower there because it's a bit higher speed and grippier but otherwise, right now, I race twice a week at two different tracks and rarely even take my stuff out of my trunk.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:25 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ok ,my KF was a little pushy at NW and I was gonna run some at RC PLUS tomorrow. Our turf is in the warehouse just waiting for the weekend so we can get started.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Carpet, astro...bleck! We started on carpet, but it just isn't "natural". No potholes, undulations or uneven jump faces to challenge the "crew chief" to compensate on setup. It's like a model railroad layout built on plywood vs. cookie-cutter benchwork. Everything is "at grade" or "above grade". Nothing drops down "below grade". And tuning for Ohio clay vs. PA clay is all part of the experience. Europe must be all loam lol.

Last edited by bubbaslash; 05-19-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Only carpet track in southern california. SCVRC in Santa Clarita, CA.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
Carpet, astro...bleck! We started on carpet, but it just isn't "natural". No potholes, undulations or uneven jump faces to challenge the "crew chief" to compensate on setup. It's like a model railroad layout built on plywood vs. cookie-cutter benchwork. Everything is "at grade" or "above grade". Nothing drops down "below grade". And tuning for Ohio clay vs. PA clay is all part of the experience. Europe must be all loam lol.
Nope, not loam. that would mean decent weather once in a while. Try mud, mud and a bit more mud. That's why they race astro or carpet.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Aaron P
I agree. Another racer had some Schuy's and I found them to be faster than the Pro-Line by 1-2 tenths, but I can't buy Schuy local, and I don't/won't buy things via the internet.
Have a listen to the Big Blue Tent podcast, they are deep into how long a tyre lasts on astro and it's getting to be a bone of contention.

The Schumachers are great (Darts) but are good for a couple of runs only at qualifying pace. Proline pinpoints were tried (podcast #18) and they (stu)claimed that they lasted ages. I'll be getting some.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldernoob
Have a listen to the Big Blue Tent podcast, they are deep into how long a tyre lasts on astro and it's getting to be a bone of contention.

The Schumachers are great (Darts) but are good for a couple of runs only at qualifying pace. Proline pinpoints were tried (podcast #18) and they (stu)claimed that they lasted ages. I'll be getting some.
BBT guys were some of my good friends from living in the UK, me and Gupz used to carpool to races, and had some good battles. Listen to them when it comes to Astro stuff, that is all they race.

Darts are awesome if they are brand new and the track is bone dry, if there is any moisture whatsoever on the astro its like driving on ice.

Fun trivia, I was supposed to be on podcost #5 or #6 but was in the middle of moving back to the US at the time
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phillip F
Only carpet track in southern california. SCVRC in Santa Clarita, CA.
Your forgetting Ricochet in El Centro , CA
Old 09-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Questions?? Astroturf

Are there any Astroturf tracks in Central Florida?
charvel74 likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
If you think you don't need to tune for carpet, then you have no experience on carpet. I see dirt guys come to our carpet tracks and leave with there tails between there legs. Driving on carpet and being competitive is a lot different then dirt and does require skill. Come out to Las Vegas in November and watch the IIC races. Or put your car down and show us how its done! LOL
Old 09-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fivepointnine
BBT guys were some of my good friends from living in the UK, me and Gupz used to carpool to races, and had some good battles. Listen to them when it comes to Astro stuff, that is all they race.

Darts are awesome if they are brand new and the track is bone dry, if there is any moisture whatsoever on the astro its like driving on ice.

Fun trivia, I was supposed to be on podcost #5 or #6 but was in the middle of moving back to the US at the time
Still waiting for some #BBT stickers for my car...lol!.

Did you hear/see about the catus Tyre from Schumacher? they are getting good wear compared to Darts. Hoping to get to Beachline Raceway in a couple of weeks, so a switch from carpet to astro setup needed!

They just had Jamie Booth on - awesome to hear him talk about back in t'day!

Last edited by oldernoob; 09-12-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Johnn27
Are there any Astroturf tracks in Central Florida?
Beachline raceway at Cocoa Beach? is that classed as 'central' Florida? IDK
Johnn27 likes this.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldernoob
Still waiting for some #BBT stickers for my car...lol!.

Did you hear/see about the catus Tyre from Schumacher? they are getting good wear compared to Darts. Hoping to get to Beachline Raceway in a couple of weeks, so a switch from carpet to astro setup needed!

They just had Jamie Booth on - awesome to hear him talk about back in t'day!
Yeah my friends are starting to test them as they become available. I like BB white mini spikes when it is super grippy, they take out some side-bite, yellows for most conditions and darts depending (although it makes me sad on their wear rate).

I need to make the trek down there one weekend, maybe for a big race when its worth it to stay the night, its a little bit of a haul down from Savannah to Beachline.

I normally do not change a lot of things for going between carpet and astro, maybe adjust oils and spring rates just a little depending on grip levels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.