Community
Wiki Posts
Search

xxx-nt vs xxxt

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Rookie

xxx-nt vs xxxt

I'm just getting back into the R /c scene again and I haven't really decided on electric or nitro. I used to run electric stadium trucks so I really don't have the experience or knowlege to run nitro trucks. I have decided to purchase a team losi stadium truck xxx-nt or xxxt but I'm not sure on which one to go with, any info regards to reliability, upgradable and durability would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jay
Old 09-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For just bashing around and ease of use, the XXXT will be better than the NT. They're both about the same for durability. They use some of the same parts and they handle about the same for someone to just run around with. Either one would be good. It, more than anything, becomes a cost thing. Buying a decent charger and a couple of batteries vs. buying the fuel.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Rookie

xxx-nt vs xxxt

thanks for the info, one more question what is needed to fully operate a nitro truck besides fuel?
Thanks, Jay
Old 09-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

spare glowplugs, if youre racing, a .12 size engine, a starter box (only after engine change), glow ignitor, reciever pack battery, batter charger.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

All he needs right off the bad is a fuel bottle (not a gallon jug, but rather a refillable sqeezie bottle), a glow starter, 12 "AA" batteries, some spare glow plugs, a bottle of Simple Green (to keep the car clean), 3N'1 (for the clutch bearings) and some after run oil. That will get him up and running, but a 5 cell NiMH reciever pack is reccomended.

EDIT: Is this better? I should have read it through before I posted it.

Last edited by Platinum_Racing; 09-20-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Edited for coherancy. Did I spell that right?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

A bit of subject but does any one know where I could get up graded parts for a Raptor 27 Truck.
Online Please.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
All he needs right off the bad is a fuel bottle (not a gallon jug, but rather a refillable sqeezie bottle), a glow starter, 12 "AA" batteries, some spare glow plugs, a bottle of Simple Green, 3N'1 (for the clutch bearings) and some after run oil. That will get him up and running, but a 5 cell NiMH reciever pack is reccomended.
Just reading thro, Simple Green???? Where do U use that? On the Clutch Bearings but where are they?? This is making me sound thick as FCUK!!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Well, first of all you can try any of the banners here on RcTech for suppliers of R/C parts online. I've personally clicked on just about everyone, but RcTech is the only place I allow myself because I get a bit tweaked by spyware and pup ups.

Second of all, the Simple Green is basicly a substitute for Nitro Cleaner. Normally, nitro cleaner is just simple green with WD-40. You spray down your nitro car and dirt and sand will have a harder time sticking. I use WD-40 on some cars to keep them looking shiney and new, but the best stuff for getting rid of grease is either dish soap or Simple Green. Great stuff, and safe for rc use too.

Third of all, the clutch bearings are located in the clutchbell at the point where the crank and bell contact. This is so that the clutch may spin freely of the engine. During use, these bearings become dirty and worn, and may explode (Trust me they do, and it's a pain in the...) causing the engine to die when idling, and messing with the gear mesh. The 3N'1 (Or after run oil) is thin enough to keep the bearings lubricated and clean. Once every day or two is good, but if your racing once every couple runs is probably better. I outfittem my clutchbell with 3 bearing instead of two by milling out the hole to fit in a bearing in between the 2 stock ones. I also had to grind it down a bit to fit my HPI flywheel and clutch shoes onto my GV chassis with an O.S. engine.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Don't use Simple Green! It has water in it...and water is bad. Use WD-40 to clean your whole car..there's nothing Simple Green will clean that WD-40 can't, and WD-40 won't leave any chance for rust.

Start up costs..nitro will be more expensive, but you'll get longer run-times with less down-time and longer lasting performance from even budget-level equipment. Granted...you'll have to learn the basics of keeping your car tuned and maintained, but it's not hard at all.

Unless you're looking for quick, easy, learning-curve-free fun, nitro seems to be the way to go.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up xxx-nt vs xxxt

I just wanted to say thanks to everbody for the feedback and then some.

Thanks, Jay
Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

I love both. You can't go wrong with either. I would get what is most popular at your local track.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

XXX-T kit with the go fast bits and pieces.

Sean