Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mugen MBX7R Eco thread! >

Mugen MBX7R Eco thread!

Like Tree29Likes

Mugen MBX7R Eco thread!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Considering pulling the trigger on one of these...I only run indoor and I currently own a Tekno EB48.2. I'm looking for a little bit more stable platform that can still be aggressive. Has anyone owned both of these or at least driven both of these that can weigh in??
Old 08-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JJG690
Considering pulling the trigger on one of these...I only run indoor and I currently own a Tekno EB48.2. I'm looking for a little bit more stable platform that can still be aggressive. Has anyone owned both of these or at least driven both of these that can weigh in??
check out the tekno thread, somebody gave his thoughs recently
Old 08-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by werner sline
check out the tekno thread, somebody gave his thoughs recently
You wouldn't happen to know which page number would you? I did a quick search and didn't see anything...I stay pretty current with the EB48 thread
Old 08-14-2015, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

You wouldn't happen to know which page number would you? I did a quick search and didn't see anything...I stay pretty current with the EB48 thread
sorry I made a mistake : it was mbx7r eco VS dex8 : http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post14118480

I don't saw much about mbx7r VS tekno. But check out Jason's vid about the mugen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBCsZiU3d44

I dont own any of those 1/8 but I compaired both before choosing and ordering a mugen.
I think the tekno has too much weight on the front. I think it was really made to slide the rear end in sharp turns. Mugen went the same way but not so extremely
Old 08-14-2015, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have owned the tekno, and currently run the mugen. I can honestly say the tekno is a great car, but I was never able to push it as hard as I do the mugen and make it stick, it just inspires you to just keep going in harder and it gives you a real confidence boost
Old 08-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by goldy
I have owned the tekno, and currently run the mugen. I can honestly say the tekno is a great car, but I was never able to push it as hard as I do the mugen and make it stick, it just inspires you to just keep going in harder and it gives you a real confidence boost
This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I like my tekno but it always feels like I'm on the edge
Old 08-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Both are good cars,I don't own the Tekno but I know guys on the factory team.. I will say this about the Tekno,it's a probably the only car ever made that was designed for electric 1/8 racing..the other cars are great but the Tekno is setup for a clutch system and also manual brakes..the metal parts on the Tekno will break before the plastic parts..I don't like the design of the front shock tower and have seen a few break..

On the mugen, you can adapt the clutch system,drake runs it it....I honestly can't find one thing to complain about the mugen except the stock body is way too thin..everything else is rock solid!! Handling wise and durability..
Old 08-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I like my tekno but it always feels like I'm on the edge
My first ebuggy is the Tekno 48.2, then change to MBX7Re, then got a 48.3 to replace the 48.2.

My feeling is that the Teknos are quite "aggressive feeling". Changing from the .2 to the MBX, I immediately like the feeling of the MBX, out of the box its got tons of steering, especially on turn-in. Those chicanes and s bend which I had to struggle with the .2, the MBX glides through with ease. The MBX suits my driving style very much. However, my feeling is that the MBX is not as responsive to setup change and tire condition than the .2, and the suspension bottoms out easily. I had to fiddle with the springs of the MBX to try to solve the bottom out problem, but I had a hard time finding Mugen springs here, and they don't have a complete spring rate chart to line up all their spring rates in lb/ft. All they say is medium, medium/hard...not very informative as they have different series of springs...

So happened the A arm of my MBX broke, and the .3 was out. When I was driving with the .3, I still miss the MBX at the chicanes, but the suspension of the .3 absorbs big and small jumps like a suction cup and that's a very good point. The .3 turn better than the .2, not as nervous, but still could not turn like the MBX.

In terms of durability, Tekno win hands down.

My 0.002 cents
Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

I recently went from a 48.2 to the 7r Eco and it does exactly what you are looking for (more stable yet aggressive). I was reluctant at first (been running Tekno stuff for almost 3 years) but couldn't be happier with the switch.

I'm dying for the new Mugen eTruggy to come out.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

nice interview of the drake

http://www.rcnews.net/2015/08/14/int...re/#more-74239
Old 08-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
It's because your new springs are now broken in,my son runs the stock 8h pistons,but runs stiffer springs..I believe 10.0 rears and I forgot what fronts,the fronts are2 heavier than what the stock fronts are and we also run the shock bladders emulsion,shock bladders flipped in the shock cap,and it's plush.. Losi 45 front and 37 rear
Thanks for the feedback hairymuffin. It's nice to know my issue is not exclusive to my experience. I hadn't experienced springs that did that before. I'll look into your suggestions.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcgod
I had the same problem on my car even running heavier than stock springs (kyosho grey). Found out that I didn't have enough play in the pillow ball adjusting nuts. They were free on the bench, but as soon as a little dirt got in there it bound them up and my ride height would be too low. Something to check.
Thanks rcgod. I'll look into the binding of the pillow balls. Interestingly, I did look into that area, thought process was binding, but saw no issue. However, since you are informing me that area is prone to dirt/debris fouling that suspension pivot point, I will make sure to pay extra attention to it.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Default Explanation of spring identification system

I'm a little confused on the system of the tags on the springs and what the numbers mean, clarification please anyone.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Default Servo suggestions based on manufacturer

The car felt "lazy" to me in the turns. Possibly spring change may address that, but maybe my servo could be a contributing factor. Currently using a Futaba S 9451, thoughts guys/gals?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jmkalt
I recently went from a 48.2 to the 7r Eco and it does exactly what you are looking for (more stable yet aggressive). I was reluctant at first (been running Tekno stuff for almost 3 years) but couldn't be happier with the switch.

I'm dying for the new Mugen eTruggy to come out.
I think you guys have made my mind up for me...going to put my Tekno up for sale and pull the trigger on a Mugen ASAP haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.