Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
What car?
Mugen Mbx7 Eco
Italo2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #828
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Did you do a "run in" period with the diff tight? Often when it feels to tight it is that the gears need to wear a tad to mesh we'll together. Try running it for a little bit. If it still feels too tight stop. Running it too loose though is certainly a way to chew up gears.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #829
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Did you do a "run in" period with the diff tight? Often when it feels to tight it is that the gears need to wear a tad to mesh we'll together. Try running it for a little bit. If it still feels too tight stop. Running it too loose though is certainly a way to chew up gears.
Thanks I will try that
Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 AM   #830
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham11 View Post
Damn wish I didn't just cancel my SMC order then haha. Trinity is going to replace my d8 but I wanted to try the SMC.

On another note my Eco is two races old and today i opened the diff cases and found significant rusting on the 44t gear and around the bearings, then I checked my nitro buggy which is 1 week old and same thing. I've had a bunch of brands and never once have had anything rust. What's up?
That's weird. I don't know what to tell you. I have a little bit of rust i need to scotch brite off but that's because i yanked the electronics and thru it in the dish washer
Dont Hack Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #831
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Diff shims

A lot of confusion on here about diff gear shimming. It's almost the same as setting the motor pinion to the center diff gear. You want just a small amount of lash once everything to tightened up. Hold the pinion gear on the outside of the diff case by grabbing the center driveshaft. Looking at the bottom of the diff use your other finger and check lash. Shim appropriate to have just a small amount of lash. Then grease and install on chassis. The gears wear so check this lash on every rebuild. Hope this helps.
criss2115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #832
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by criss2115 View Post
A lot of confusion on here about diff gear shimming. It's almost the same as setting the motor pinion to the center diff gear. You want just a small amount of lash once everything to tightened up. Hold the pinion gear on the outside of the diff case by grabbing the center drive shaft. Looking at the bottom of the diff use your other finger and check lash. Shim appropriate to have just a small amount of lash. Then grease and install on chassis. The gears wear so check this lash on every rebuild. Hope this helps.
I have tried what you said, the problem is that whit one shim feels good till I tighten up all the screws then when I try to turn the gear it is definitely too tight as if it is grinding.
If I do the same without shims its too loose and feel no grip.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #833
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the underdrive rear diff gears or have any input on them? I only have a few packs on the car so I'm still trying to find that real sweet spot but haven't really read or heard much about the underdrives. Just curious to hear some input on them.
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #834
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Gear mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italo2275 View Post
I have tried what you said, the problem is that whit one shim feels good till I tighten up all the screws then when I try to turn the gear it is definitely too tight as if it is grinding.
If I do the same without shims its too loose and feel no grip.
The 6 used spiral cut gears and usually the washer went on the gear side to tighten up everything. Ever since the 7 came out my washer has always been on the case side. I have also bought Kyosho washers as they are thinner for when you need just a little.
Try putting the washer on the diff cup side and tighten everything up.
criss2115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #835
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnickj View Post
Has anyone tried the underdrive rear diff gears or have any input on them? I only have a few packs on the car so I'm still trying to find that real sweet spot but haven't really read or heard much about the underdrives. Just curious to hear some input on them.
They help me on small technical tracks. I have an extra set ring and pinion for sale if you want to try them.
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #836
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I just got my build done and spent a longtime on freeing up the drivetrain, I set the car down to take a pic and it rolled off, smoothest car I have ever owned and I have been doing this since "84
Old 06-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #837
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfnaJoe View Post
I just got my build done and spent a longtime on freeing up the drivetrain, I set the car down to take a pic and it rolled off, smoothest car I have ever owned and I have been doing this since "84
what ofna cars did you own that you can compair with the mugen ?
werner sline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #838
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I owned Hyper 7, 8 and 9s and Jammin X1 and X2, but none compared to the Mugens I have owned, MBX5, MBX5T, MBX6, MBX6R, MBX6T, MBX6TR, MBX6 ECO, MBX7, MBX7T, MBX7 ECO and now the MBX7 R Eco,
Old 06-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #839
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfnaJoe View Post
I owned Hyper 7, 8 and 9s and Jammin X1 and X2, but none compared to the Mugens I have owned, MBX5, MBX5T, MBX6, MBX6R, MBX6T, MBX6TR, MBX6 ECO, MBX7, MBX7T, MBX7 ECO and now the MBX7 R Eco,
great ! 1 special detail : on the mbx7, how does the front cvd ( the one from the center diff to the front gearbox ) wear ? my hyper 9e/hyperstar e wears those too fast !
what about the mugen front arms said to be fragile ? compaired to the hyper 9e ?
werner sline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #840
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Newbie to this buggy

Hey guys, hoping to get some enlightenment from those who know. Making my way back to 1/8th electric off road and chose this vehicle as my platform. My local track is a frenzy of Tekno vehicles but I drove a Mugen several years ago and it seemed to fit me better. Since you guys are up on the vehicle what spares should I obtain on my first order. And then spares to obtain on my secondary order.

No Apologies Racing, don't believe me, try me!!!!!
spurcheck is offline   Reply With Quote