R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree16Likes

Old 08-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #1096
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombes View Post
So has any one went from a Tekno eb48.3 to the mugen MBX7r eco and glad they made the move or regret it
I had the EB48.2 and I'm glad I made the switch.
Being in San Diego there's a lot of Tekno guys here and most of their sponsored drivers haven't even made the switch to the new car yet. I think it's still a little too new to call haha
JJG690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #1097
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG690 View Post
One thing I did notice that I forgot to mention in my previous post was some up and down play in my steering rack, specifically at the Ackerman plate.

Anyone seen or heard of this issue? Maybe some shims will do the trick
Yep, I used clutch shims between rack.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #1098
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro2be View Post
Yep, I used clutch shims between rack.
Where did you put them? Underneath the Ackerman?
JJG690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #1099
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG690 View Post
Where did you put them? Underneath the Ackerman?
Yes
Old 08-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #1100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cpt_RedBeard

Quote:
So has any one went from a Tekno eb48.3 to the mugen MBX7r eco and glad they made the move or regret it
I ran the .3 for a little over 2 months with some random testing sessions before that. As of right now, yes I regret the switch. I'm still working on the Mugen setup and the car is coming around nicely. The .3 has some strong points and some quirks just like any other car. The EB is going to get much better in the coming months as the team is replacing more of their prototype kits with production kits and finding their way with the setup.

I will say, the Mugen quality of metals is better than the Tekno and the over all stability (on the ground) is greater. It just seems to generate grip out of no where which is pretty awesome. The Mugen just doesn't land or handle rough track like the Tekno, but honestly who could expect other cars to when its rocking truggy shocks and copious amounts of droop.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 AM   #1101
Tech Adept

Quote:
I missed my 7R when I ran the .3 the first time whilst waiting for the lower a-arm of my 7R to arrive. The 7R could really turn on a dime, and it could glide through the chicanes with ease while the .3 would struggle. Performance-wise, the .3 only shines on its ability to absorb bumps with ease, and with its monstrous shocks its no surprise.

The only thing that I wished the Mugen could improve is in terms of durability...Heck Teknos are built like tanks
blackshark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #1102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Does anyone use a fan on their motor? And if yes which type/brand? Connect directly to the battery or to the RX? I noticed a few photos of guys in Europe using a fan to help cool the motor. I'm using a new Tekin speed control and Tekin 1900kv motor. Thanks for the tip!
Carl Giordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #1103
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
Does anyone use a fan on their motor? And if yes which type/brand? Connect directly to the battery or to the RX? I noticed a few photos of guys in Europe using a fan to help cool the motor. I'm using a new Tekin speed control and Tekin 1900kv motor. Thanks for the tip!
At first I used a 40mm fan. I tried mounting it on a one sided clamp type mount on the motor, around 2 runs the fan would be ruined. Then I used some rubber servo grommets to mount the fan on the clamp, that gives a bit more life to the fan, around 5 runs then the fan would be ruined. The fans either broke on the frame and then the blades got stuck. Then I even tried to stick the fan on the chassis with double sided tape, but after a few runs the fan would came loose. Went through almost 10 fans and got tired of replacing fans. I then found and switched to a Yeah Racing 1/8 motor cooling fin with double 26mm fan, and after replacing the original fans with TDX ones then fans remain running after over 20 runs.

And yes I connect the fans to the receiver, with a Y-wire
blackshark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #1104
Tech Master

yes, smaller fan ( 35mm ) seems to last longer. don't forget a small metallic grid to avoid/minimize the small rocks to get in
werner sline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #1105
Tech Rookie

Quote:
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/bittyde...11wavr/p265646

Thank you, I did have to raise front body mount 1mm to make a good fit for the 6500. Please look at my front nose. I did have to cut a lot to make work. If your cool with that it's a good body and price.

Do you know if the "Fighter" will fit also?
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/bittyde...11gruo/p265684
or
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/bittyde...11wavy/p265687
yaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #1106
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaki View Post
I don't know. Sides look lower to me
Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 AM   #1107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
I have a lrp fan that's made for their motors but I never used it.. I have seen others use it, seems to last tho
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MBX7R Eco thread!-image.jpg  

Last edited by hairymuffin; 08-26-2015 at 02:23 AM.
hairymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #1108
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
I have a lrp fan that's made for their motors but I never used it.. I have seen others use it, seems to last tho
Hi steve, I ran 774 last night at Rev and very smooth and great for traction and cornering. Couple questions for you, I run 6 hole 1.3 pistons and run 35 30. Seems really good but what would you run for shock oil with those pistons and Kyosho blue springs. I'm thinking going up just little to 37.5 and 32.5. I'm also gonna need that fan, no matter what I do I'm 185 to 190. My buddy same set up and gets 175. Don't know.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #1109
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_RedBeard View Post
The Mugen just doesn't land or handle rough track like the Tekno, but honestly who could expect other cars to when its rocking truggy shocks and copious amounts of droop.
I wonder if the Tekno wouldn't do better on the ground if they'd take away some of that droop. Interesting thing about the Mugens, I can't recall seeing one run in the rough as well as my old MBX5r did with 13mm shocks. It's like we never got the piston package right after that..

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #1110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi steve, I ran 774 last night at Rev and very smooth and great for traction and cornering. Couple questions for you, I run 6 hole 1.3 pistons and run 35 30. Seems really good but what would you run for shock oil with those pistons and Kyosho blue springs. I'm thinking going up just little to 37.5 and 32.5. I'm also gonna need that fan, no matter what I do I'm 185 to 190. My buddy same set up and gets 175. Don't know.
Does it bottom out on hard landings? Especially the front? Are you running no rebound? We always build with no rebound..we are at 45/40wt with stock 8h pistons emulsion bladders,heavy springs compared to kit springs...is there any timing on the motor can? Is it a new motor with good bearings? Weird how the temps are not going down? We gonna be there tomorrow...
hairymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote