R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree16Likes

Old 08-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #1051
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bortzilla View Post
Hi, new MBX7r eco owner here. I was wondering what size pinions I should have on hand for it. I use a Tekin 2050kv gen 2 motor and I run on medium to large outdoor tracks. Thanks!
Most of us that run a 1900kv use a 16 tooth pinion. I think the kit included 14 tooth would be under geared quite a bit. Even with a 2050kv i would think a 16 tooth pinion is the right starting point.
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #1052
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG690 View Post
Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Tower has some pretty ridiculous promotions running at the moment. Got 80 off plus 60 back in "e cash" plus an additional 25 dollar gift card. Just thought I'd pass the info along....with that said can anyone give me a starting point for oil and springs for smooth indoor med/high bite clay?
Nobody has any setup help for smooth med/high bite clay? Just looking for piston, spring, and oil combos
JJG690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #1053
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I started with 17th on 2050 large out door and was at 218. Ouch. Dropped to 15 and was 177temp and driving at night.i punched large hole in windshield and trimmed body a lot. Running tonight and hoping to be down to 165 and I'll be happy.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:54 AM   #1054
Tech Addict

Just got back from running at revelation raceway. I'm still cooking this motor with a 15t at night and diffs at 5k 50k 2k and body with more cut outs than needed. Lowest was 188 and high of 220. I run it hard, tires ballon, heavy throttle heavy break. I have stock out of box settings for esc and 2050kv. Any suggestions besides a fan that will just break. Help!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #1055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro2be View Post
Just got back from running at revelation raceway. I'm still cooking this motor with a 15t at night and diffs at 5k 50k 2k and body with more cut outs than needed. Lowest was 188 and high of 220. I run it hard, tires ballon, heavy throttle heavy break. I have stock out of box settings for esc and 2050kv. Any suggestions besides a fan that will just break. Help!
First of all, why in the hell are you running 50k in the center???? Does the esc have any timing at all or turbo boost??? Is your motor a tekin? Dude 774 on the diffs!!! Most important tho, make sure you have no timing on the esc...get rid of that 50k..ebuggy needs no help with going fast,that 50k is putting way more power to the ground Han needed...also, you could be over driving it,rev can be loose if you driving out of the groove, wich equals way more wheel spin
hairymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #1056
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG690 View Post
Nobody has any setup help for smooth med/high bite clay? Just looking for piston, spring, and oil combos
Stock setup, just run the car lower like 24mm..stock 8h pistons and springs,heavier oil, tlr 45f/40r..if you need it to rotate faster, remove the sway bars,helps with more steering and rear traction....
Old 08-19-2015, 03:41 AM   #1057
Tech Regular

Quote:
Is all 4 tires ballooning ?, is it one tire in a turn (diff out)?, just the front? I tune my diffs for the available grip of the track, but balance them out against the ballooning of the tires. You could turn your current limited down (punch)and go thicker front and rear. With 50 in your center. Front and rear are getting power. You could try to smooth it out. Ballooning the tires is just breaking traction and working that motor at max RPM. You could try to gear up so your not always spinning her at max. With of watching your buggy run, these are just things to look at. No binding in the drive line or motor? Do you have the SMC 1900 by chance?
Dont Hack Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #1058
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
Stock setup, just run the car lower like 24mm..stock 8h pistons and springs,heavier oil, tlr 45f/40r..if you need it to rotate faster, remove the sway bars,helps with more steering and rear traction....
Is that 24mm front and rear or just 24mm in the back?
JJG690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #1059
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
First of all, why in the hell are you running 50k in the center???? Does the esc have any timing at all or turbo boost??? Is your motor a tekin? Dude 774 on the diffs!!! Most important tho, make sure you have no timing on the esc...get rid of that 50k..ebuggy needs no help with going fast,that 50k is putting way more power to the ground Han needed...also, you could be over driving it,rev can be loose if you driving out of the groove, wich equals way more wheel spin
I run 100k in my d413 and thought I'd try the 50k to see if I like it and I do but I'll go back down 774. Yes it's tekin and it's stock set up but I'll reset it to make sure. I am over driving it but in the groove 80% of the track. Last night track real dusty.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #1060
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Hack Me View Post
Is all 4 tires ballooning ?, is it one tire in a turn (diff out)?, just the front? I tune my diffs for the available grip of the track, but balance them out against the ballooning of the tires. You could turn your current limited down (punch)and go thicker front and rear. With 50 in your center. Front and rear are getting power. You could try to smooth it out. Ballooning the tires is just breaking traction and working that motor at max RPM. You could try to gear up so your not always spinning her at max. With of watching your buggy run, these are just things to look at. No binding in the drive line or motor? Do you have the SMC 1900 by chance?
just the fronts Balloon I think it's because of the under drive the rear that it's just front. No binding at all, mesh pefect, and car in perfect condition. It's a tekin 2050kv. Tekin esc. I can Balloon the fronts on demand or not . There's the spot on the throttle when it just happens. 75 to 80 percentage full they Balloon. I wanna run as fast as I want with out cooking my motor. Also when I ran the 17t gear the front tires balloon more and wheel spun was worse. 15t car was easier to drive less wheel spin and balloon. Go stock 14t?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #1061
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What about dropping down to a 13 or 14 tooth pinion?
dmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #1062
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
just the fronts Balloon I think it's because of the under drive the rear that it's just front. No binding at all, mesh pefect, and car in perfect condition. It's a tekin 2050kv. Tekin esc. I can Balloon the fronts on demand or not . There's the spot on the throttle when it just happens. 75 to 80 percentage full they Balloon. I wanna run as fast as I want with out cooking my motor. Also when I ran the 17t gear the front tires balloon more and wheel spun was worse. 15t car was easier to drive less wheel spin and balloon. Go stock 14t?
Imo running the underdrive and 50k in the center is putting the drivetrain in constant bind. Like the guys said go to 7/7/5 or 7/10/5. I run a 15 or 16 pinion with a 1900 smc and it's plenty fast with the 16. For a 2050 I would try a 14 pinion.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #1063
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Try backing down your ESC's current limiter. You'll be surprised at how far you can dial it back without noticing a performance change. I've run mine as low as 65%. Helps with the amperage spikes that can drive motor heat. Same with brakes..

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #1064
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Try backing down your ESC's current limiter. You'll be surprised at how far you can dial it back without noticing a performance change. I've run mine as low as 65%. Helps with the amperage spikes that can drive motor heat. Same with brakes..
All those ideas are great. I'll back down to 7 in center, 14t gear and turn esc down just before I notice a loss. I gotta say that 50k center is fun. You can be at a face of jump just rolling for double and just a blip and it's launching. I'm really thinking it's all about traction and no wheel spin. Investing more time and money in tires.
Also my Temps were higher when I was driving to Metallica, does Metallica cause higher temps?
Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #1065
Tech Elite

Quote:
All those ideas are great. I'll back down to 7 in center, 14t gear and turn esc down just before I notice a loss. I gotta say that 50k center is fun. You can be at a face of jump just rolling for double and just a blip and it's launching. I'm really thinking it's all about traction and no wheel spin. Investing more time and money in tires.
Also my Temps were higher when I was driving to Metallica, does Metallica cause higher temps?
Just think of this,when Drew moller ran for mugen, he ran 5k in the center.. There is a method to running ebuggy fast, and that's toning everything down.. We don't run anything over 7k in the center. We use to run 10k, but drew's dad said it makes ebuggy too erratic,and it was true,it toned down my sons driving and made him way faster..my son runs smc 1900 and speed passion esc..next Thursday we will be at rev breaking in a motor... Come talk to us, ask for Steve Harris mugen team guys..