Search
Like Tree29Likes

Mugen MBX7R Eco thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Hi guys,

The Proline phantom body for the mbx7r is the same as for the older mbx7 right?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Also, what life and lipo receiver packs are you all using? Especially life... Wondering how much mah I need!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Also, what life and lipo receiver packs are you all using? Especially life... Wondering how much mah I need!
This the Eco thread not the Nitro
Old 04-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Yeah sorry!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I decided to do what some of you guys did, and filed the diff case where the ackerman hits it. Doesn't look very nice, but it's definitely done the job. Completely no binding now!
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MBX7R Eco thread!-diff-case-filed.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Hello everyone
I just ordered a MBX7R ECO (Tower Hobbies has awesome coupon codes until month end-saved $60 bucks!!!!)

I have raced nitro buggy for years but have limited experience with lipos/e-buggies
That being said...is this Orion motor/esc below any good??? (given the price point of course but please chime in with better suggestions)

TEAM ORION VORTEX, 2000KV, 4 POLE, BRUSHLESS MOTOR
TEAM ORION VORTEX R8 ESC

Nearby track is small but I would like to run two 2S packs and get at least 10 minutes of run time. Can anyone recommend some lipos????
Seems like SPC, Promatch, and Thunder Power are good places to start but what "C" and "mah" rating should I be looking for?

Thanks

Last edited by DNF2005; 04-28-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DNF2005
Hello everyone
I just ordered a MBX7R ECO (Tower Hobbies has awesome coupon codes until month end-saved $60 bucks!!!!)

I have raced nitro buggy for years but have limited experience with lipos/e-buggies
That being said...is this Orion motor/esc below any good??? (given the price point of course but please chime in with better suggestions)

TEAM ORION VORTEX R8 ESC

Nearby track is small but I would like to run two 2S packs and get at least 10 minutes of run time. Can anyone recommend some lipos????
Seems like SPC, Promatch, and Thunder Power are good places to start but what "C" and "mah" rating should I be looking for?

Thanks
SMC is a great place to start for batteries and look at their 1900kv 1/8th buggy motor too. Great motor for the money. As far as battery size most seem to run 5-6000 mah batteries and get the run time needed. Your C discharge rating is not as important when you go to a 4s bl setup. Have heard some go with as low as 30c with no issues. I have SMC 5000 50c's, and SMC 7200 60 OR 70c batteries for my new 7r eco. I grabbed a pair of nanotech 5600 mah 50c packs to try out too.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Running a Trackstar 1900 in one and an SMC 1900 in the other. More than pleased with both motors so far.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

Hello everyone

TEAM ORION VORTEX R8 ESC

Thanks
For just starting into electric I would go the less expensive route myself. The hobbywing SCTpro is a great esc. Ive ran it for 2 years. I dont run them anymore, the reason had nothing to do with performance. The only bad thing about it, if you wanna call it that. Is it is only 6.v, you dont get the adjustable bec 7.4v. It's half the price of a RX8, Team Orion, LRP. I also run the SMC 1900. bought it on a whim and really liked it. Almost half the price of a Tekin, Team Orion, Lrp motor. Like it so much I bought another one as a backup. It does run a tad bit hotter then my T8. I'll swap to ceramic bearing in a little but its not out of control temps.

Batteries. Thats shooters choice. I run 6500 60C SMC batteries (for you it would be 2x 7200). They are on par and more importantly, affordable. I picked up turnigy 5000 25c for 25$ a battery. Now I can tell a difference, But i dont run them. They are for the new guys that could only afford or have 1 battery, its a loaner. They work, Ive won with it before. It was really hard tho. They do not have the punch of a 70c lol. When my SMC batteries die i'll try promatch, Ive heard good things about them. My one buddy loves his. I like the weight of the 6500, compared to 5000. You cant get 10 minutes out of a 5000, but not a whole lot more. I like the punch of the 60c+ but I can't use it on every turn. So the 35c might be a better option for you to go with until you find what you want. Electric has more low end then nitro, might feel a little more like home for you
Old 04-29-2015, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ESC wise I'm running the Hobbywing 1/8th Xerum 150amp and a Trackstar 1/8th 150Amp, no issues with either. I run the 6500 SMC batteries as well, very happy with them although please note that in order to fit under the body I run them on their side and they just barely fit!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Tech Initiate

I really appreciate all the advice thus far!!!!!

Dont Hack Me: You mentioned hobbywing SCTpro is 6v
I am guessing you mean the voltage it puts out to the receiver and servo? This is fine with me as I think all my servos are 6v rated anyway. All my radio gear is Spektrum DX3r era so I have a bunch of SR3100 DSM2 receivers.

I actually have two MP777 SP2's that might get converted to brushless as well so saving some extra coin is fine by me.

I have a ton of parts for them and may set them up for my niece and nephew assuming they want to do some 1/8 buggy racing.

Here are the specs on the R8 esc
I was simply going to buy a couple of these from Flea Bay since they are about 75 bucks each (pulled from new RTR buggies)
If you guys feel the Hobbywing stuff gives more bang for the buck I will go that route as I will most likely need three of them

Orion Vortex R8 ESC

•Team Orion Vortex R8 Sensorless ESC (Part # ORI65104)
◦Built in High Flow Cooling Fan
◦Large Heat Sink
◦Adjustable Customized Software Parameters
◦High Power Connectors
◦Functions: Forward/Brake, Forward/Brake/Reverse, Forward/Reverse (For Rock Crawlers)
◦LED and Audio Tone for Status Control
◦Low Resistance Automatic Battery Cut Off System
◦Specifications:
◾Constant/Peak Amps: 130A/760A
◾Resistance: 0.0004
◾BEC: 6V/3A
◾Weight: 79g
◾Size: 53.5 x.36 x 36mm

I am really looking forward to my new MBX7R ECO
C'mon brown truck

Last edited by DNF2005; 04-29-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 04-30-2015, 01:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Could someone recommend starting setup for very low grip and bumpy track?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:14 AM
Tech Regular

I really appreciate all the advice thus far!!!!!

Dont Hack Me: You mentioned hobbywing SCTpro is 6v
I am guessing you mean the voltage it puts out to the receiver and servo? This is fine with me as I think all my servos are 6v rated anyway. All my radio gear is Spektrum DX3r era so I have a bunch of SR3100 DSM2 receivers.

I actually have two MP777 SP2's that might get converted to brushless as well so saving some extra coin is fine by me.

I have a ton of parts for them and may set them up for my niece and nephew assuming they want to do some 1/8 buggy racing.

Here are the specs on the R8 esc
I was simply going to buy a couple of these from Flea Bay since they are about 75 bucks each (pulled from new RTR buggies)
If you guys feel the Hobbywing stuff gives more bang for the buck I will go that route as I will most likely need three of them

Orion Vortex R8 ESC

•Team Orion Vortex R8 Sensorless ESC (Part # ORI65104)
◦Built in High Flow Cooling Fan
◦Large Heat Sink
◦Adjustable Customized Software Parameters
◦High Power Connectors
◦Functions: Forward/Brake, Forward/Brake/Reverse, Forward/Reverse (For Rock Crawlers)
◦LED and Audio Tone for Status Control
◦Low Resistance Automatic Battery Cut Off System
◦Specifications:
◾Constant/Peak Amps: 130A/760A
◾Resistance: 0.0004
◾BEC: 6V/3A
◾Weight: 79g
◾Size: 53.5 x.36 x 36mm

I am really looking forward to my new MBX7R ECO
C'mon brown truck
Thats about the same specs as the HW. My 6v was to the BEC. Only difference is sensorless. I like sensored, most all of my friends that race with me like sensored. It will be a smooth transition from stop to start, up to a certain speed. no cogging. Cogging is like a stutter start.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I see Drake runs some sort of clutch on his Eco anyone know how to do this? Or exactly what it is ?
Old 05-02-2015, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

In my experience with several esc's I have used I found the novak Activ8 and the tekin rx8 gen2 to be the best 2 esc's I would use. The novak Activ8 was the smoothest and had the the best brakes. The adjustability can be a pain but once you do it a few times it becomes easy. The power delivery is well on par with any other high end esc on the market. The down side is its a HUGE esc and hard the fit in some buggies.

The tekin rx8 gen2 is what I use now and it's very good. The adjustability of it is second to none. It is not as smooth or as good of brakes as the novak but can handle every bit of power you can throw at it. It is much smaller then the novak and easy to fit in tight places.

I have used hobbywing, orion, castle, speed passion and lrp. Out of all of them I found the tekin rx8 gen2 and novak Activ8 to have a much better driving experience then the others. The others always had something they were lacking it such as power, brakes, smoothness ect.........

In my opinion if you have the money buy something high end. There is a different between say a 150amp hobbywing vs. A Tekin rx8. A lot of people will say there is not but my driving experience says there is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.