Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nervous Racer

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Nervous Racer

The two LHS that are near me have tracks one indoor the other outdoors, now the indoor place make you feel so unaccept very unfriendly and very very very clicke group atmosphere when racing, on the other hand the outdoor place make you feel welcomed quick to help you, answer any question you may have, they make you feel welcomed . I like indoor track but hate the feeling that I committed a crime when I walk in so that puts me off from racing and spending my money at that place. and outdoor is no go cause winter is almost here.

My question is how do you guys overcome this feeling and just race, also I go race solo...
Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kick their ass on the track
Old 10-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go race there more often. Race clean and be respectful. Talk to a few people and eventually you will earn your way in.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

try to bring someone else into the hobby, maybe on a practice day. a buddy, a work mate, etc. let them run your RC and get them hooked.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have you actually talked to any of the people. My first couple trips to the track I felt the same way. Everyone seemed to have there little group and I felt kind wierd being the loner. But I just walked up and asked for some help and they were very nice and very helpful. Now years later I try to make sure when I see someone new I go out of my way to welcome them to the track and offer any assistance possible. It's hard being new in this hobby so we should always make an effort to welcome the new people or the hobby will die.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mydudrevo
Have you actually talked to any of the people. My first couple trips to the track I felt the same way. Everyone seemed to have there little group and I felt kind wierd being the loner. But I just walked up and asked for some help and they were very nice and very helpful. Now years later I try to make sure when I see someone new I go out of my way to welcome them to the track and offer any assistance possible. It's hard being new in this hobby so we should always make an effort to welcome the new people or the hobby will die.
+1
I go and talk to as many people as I can when I go somewhere new . It helps make new friends faster, also weeds out the jack asses quicker too lol.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I know exactly what you mean. What has helped me is to keep racing there frequently and eventually people come out more. Eventually people will be more friendly once they notice your there more ofton.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I also have a habbit of talking to others when waiting to go on the stand, you'll eventually join a little circle to hang out with. I also find the top few fast guys tend to be more set in there groups, but everyone else is probably a little more open to help you out. Ironically asking for help is the easiest way to get to know other racers.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
I also have a habbit of talking to others when waiting to go on the stand, you'll eventually join a little circle to hang out with. I also find the top few fast guys tend to be more set in there groups, but everyone else is probably a little more open to help you out. Ironically asking for help is the easiest way to get to know other racers.
Yeha I had a problem I couldn't diagnose so I eventually went to the fast guys for help. I had thought they were offstandish, but turns out they just starting showing up from 3 hours away and didn't know anyone themselves.

They troubleshot my issue within five minutes and I would have gotten in an extra race day had I spoke with them sooner. Just go say hi.

Also, in my case I have a nice, well taken care of car and was half decent to start, so nobody thought I was new.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 137 (98%+)

yup at the end of the day they doing the same thing u r. just dont be a jerk on the track and turn marshal during practice thats the key to my heart.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

i often hear about groups being unfriendly, mine included. Whats funny is if anyone asks me a question i go out of my way to help. What makes people think were "unfriendly" is that we don't go out of our way to initiate the conversation. If someone wants my help or advice i figure they will ask.

So dont let this misconception ruin racing for you.. go.. ask... have fun.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Its tough man, racing RC cars is alot like going back to high school. All you can do is go and be friendly to everyone, tell people good job and race your ass off. Eventually people will take notice and break down those walls. No matter what you will find people to relate to when you go but it all takes time. Bumber I know, but people get asked so many dumb questions like: " how fast does it go", "does it do wheelies" stuff like that so they start to tune people out and it makes them come off like A-holes. Its always good to be educated about what you enjoy doing. It gives you good middle ground to land on with people.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks all for the POSITIVE response!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ANOTHER THOUGHT IF YOU HAVE ALREADY STARTED AT THE OUTDOOR TRACK IS THAT WHEN WINTER COMES ALOT OF THE RACERS THERE ARE STILL GOING TO RACE SOMEWHERE THEY WILL MOST LIKELY MOVE TO THE INDOOR TRACK FOR THE WINTER SO THERE MIGHT BE A NO ISSUE, BUT I ALSO AGREE WITH A LOT OF FOLKS ON HERE IF YOU GO TALK TO THEM IT WILL HELP AND YEAH TURN MARSHALLING IN PRACTICE AINT BAD BUT THE BEST THING TO GET IN WITH THE GUYS IN MY OPINION IS TRACK CHANGE WHEN THERE IS NO RACING AND YOU VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME TO HELP THAT IS WHERE THE TRULY FAST GUYS NORMALLY ARE AND JUST LISTENING AND HELPING YOU WILL LEARN AND THEY GET TO KNOW YOU AS SOMEONE THAT IS THERE HELPING THEM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I find the bigger the track, the more unfriendly it can appear. Name the track. Maybe someone here goes to that track and can help with introductions. Getting to know one person helps a lot. Now it would have been nice for you not to have to do this but it may not be as cold there as you think.

If your perception is correct, I'd just go to the outdoor track. I'm going through something similar myself. The closer track is bigger and often times more challenging but I'm going to a smaller track because I'm just having more fun there. Environment wise. Less complaining and more people having fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.