Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 E Truggy Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 E Truggy Help.

I'm obviously new here and relatively new to the hobby. I searched for this question and couldn't find the specific answer to my specific question. That being said, I know this stuff is annoying so mods delete if needed. Anyways, I have a slash 4x4 and I went to a track in garland tx and saw some 1/8 truggies and I have to have one. I'm trying to keep it under $500. I've been looking at the Ofna SSTe, Basher Sabertooth, Caster F8T-1.5 rtr, HPI Trophy Truggy. I want a rtr mostly but I will consider an almost rtr. I want something durable. I live on 10 acres so I would be mostly just bashing but not insane. I would go to the track just for casual driving. Any help with this would be appreciated. Delete if needed.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Whatzittoya
I'm obviously new here and relatively new to the hobby. I searched for this question and couldn't find the specific answer to my specific question. That being said, I know this stuff is annoying so mods delete if needed. Anyways, I have a slash 4x4 and I went to a track in garland tx and saw some 1/8 truggies and I have to have one. I'm trying to keep it under $500. I've been looking at the Ofna SSTe, Basher Sabertooth, Caster F8T-1.5 rtr, HPI Trophy Truggy. I want a rtr mostly but I will consider an almost rtr. I want something durable. I live on 10 acres so I would be mostly just bashing but not insane. I would go to the track just for casual driving. Any help with this would be appreciated. Delete if needed.
You probably have more luck for advise on this at ultimaterc.com. More of a racer crowd here.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dr_T
You probably have more luck for advise on this at ultimaterc.com. More of a racer crowd here.
Way to scare off the new guy .... hes just lookin for help and opinions ! have to start somewhere !
Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 AM
Tech Master

First of all.. welcome . URC. is more of a basher crowd . but if you own RCs your going to bash them around at some point in time . regardless of that theres usefull information on RC Tech as well as URC
Old 10-29-2014, 02:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have not been in the bashing world for a while but when I was I had all the popular basher at one point. The best basher I had was the thunder tiger st4 g3. It's RTR, a truggy and very durable. I know there is a forum dedicated to thunder tiger with any info on it you can imagine. I believe it's called wonder tiger.

http://www.activepowersports.com/thu...FYxDMgodJzoAJA
Old 10-29-2014, 02:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bob.less
First of all.. welcome . URC. is more of a basher crowd . but if you own RCs your going to bash them around at some point in time . regardless of that theres usefull information on RC Tech as well as URC
Your looking to spend approx. 500.00 on a RTR truggy. thats just the initial investment of the vehical itself, Its a fun expensive hobby !!! Theres parts ...Batteries .. chargers ... ect..ect.. ect... Im not trying to scare you off. do your research .. consider parts support... and talk to your LHS .... Most of all ... have fun
Old 10-29-2014, 03:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My bro in law has a thunder tiger mt4 G3 converted over to truggy and it's a beast... Very tough... Probably in your price range. It's also fast as hell. Would recommend in your target price range. I own a much more expensive truggy and they are a fucking blast to drive
Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bob.less
Way to scare off the new guy .... hes just lookin for help and opinions ! have to start somewhere !
Take it easy, I did help him.

Sorry I forgot to say welcome... not a morning person .

Edit.
Just showing my intentions were good:
Good luck!

Last edited by Dr_T; 10-29-2014 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Because racecar
Old 10-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

if you want to get a decent race truggy put together you are looking at easily over 1500 dollars. skip over the rtr options if you want to drive on a track. The initial cost is lower but you will spend so much more in the end upgrading everything to better equiptment.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would also say to look at a used truggy.

You do have to be careful what you buy - but I picked up a used ARTR (minus rx/tx) D8T w/ RC Monster conversion here for under $500. It even came with a spare set of tires/wheels and a battery.

Everyone has opinions...but I think the D8T is a great truggy. Very durable truggy that can hold it's own in races as well.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Look out for a used roller.I picked up a near mint 2.0 losi truggy for 180 shipped here.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

i got a Losi 8ight 2.0 off rcTech for $250 and i was able to get every thing else for it for about $300. it was an electric converted truggy so thats an option and its race level and great part support. all for $550.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just sent you a pm. I am one of the truggy racers at indy rc world.

part support is a big thing. indy supports mugen, xray, and tekno and associated.

they have most parts that break onsite. that being said if you choose the cheaper RTR (ready to run) option you will need to keep some parts in your toolbox to get you through some breakage.

I like the mugen truggy but the tekno is very nice as well. it is all personal choice for brand. all are good trucks

the caster is a nice quality truggy and well built. just have to order the parts for it. keep arms and drive cups in toolbox. have not had experience with the others.

nothing wrong with going with what you can afford. also look in the classified section here to see if there are any you like. also indy has used items that they sell.

electric or nitro is the big choice. keep that in mind that fuel cost vs battery cost.

shoot me a pm with a number and we can chat about it. also if you want to drive a truggy I would be glad to let you drive mine....

Last edited by corn_bread; 10-29-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by corn_bread
I just sent you a pm. I am one of the truggy racers at indy rc world.

part support is a big thing. indy supports mugen, xray, and tekno and associated.

they have most parts that break onsite. that being said if you choose the cheaper RTR (ready to run) option you will need to keep some parts in your toolbox to get you through some breakage.

I like the mugen truggy but the tekno is very nice as well. it is all personal choice for brand. all are good trucks

good kit will be close to 600.00 bucks. you can run cheaper motor and esc like the hobby wing stuff or castle to get you going.
The castle systems are great i run one now but i am saving up to get a tekin rx8.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Here is a great deal to get you going it's here in Texas so it's semi local. These are the forums everyone in Texas uses
http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40380

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.