Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Himoto Tanto 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Himoto Tanto 4wd

I am 100% new to racing. I want to keep it somewhat cheap and I came across a 1/10 Himoto Tanto 4wd brushless car and was wondering if it would be a ok car to start off racing. Any suggestions would be grateful. I also saw a Team C 2wd brushed car around $100.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What is your budget?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

To be honest both of the cars you are talking about won't do it for racing. You are going to need to spend a little bit more.

To get a basic car set up to be competitive on the club level you are looking at at least 500 dollars. Then if you end up with a high spec radio and running gear that can easily be pushed past 1000.

For gentle bashing a 100 dollar car would probably do just fine though.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Initiate

what would be a good starter car?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Youre best bet is to get something with good parts and support. Both the AE B4 or B5, and the Losi 22 are well supported at any track. You will most likely be able to get guys to help you out with your setup, which is what you will need most at first.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

yes i am looking at the b4 and b5 just trying to figure out the difference in them. Does the B5m mean midmotor mount?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Yes, m denotes mid motor. You might want to visit the local track to learn a bit more about racing, different classes, terminology, and little local track secrets before buying anything. Having bought the wrong thing in rc can be expensive.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Yes, m denotes mid motor. You might want to visit the local track to learn a bit more about racing, different classes, terminology, and little local track secrets before buying anything. Having bought the wrong thing in rc can be expensive.
Panda is right you will save money and time if you get the right stuff the first time. find the class you like the most at your track(make sure the class is some what big). then what i would do is buy a used older model of that car(on ebay or on here) you can get roller or take a chance on used rtr most the time you get a better car that way for a lower price. but the funny thing about racing you will find is (driver is #1) (tire is #2) (set-up #3)(chassis is #4) 3 and 4 will flip sometime. so dont need a lot of money to be fast #1and#2 is around 80% of lap times. the best thing you need to do is make sure you can get part for the car you drive vs what car you are driving. Associated is probably the best for new racers... the parts a some what cheap and they have the lowest price new in the box rtr of the big name cars so is hard to go wrong with them.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you guys for the help. I will just head to the track and pick some of their brains. This is a great forum, I must say, for a newb. I have read up on some great conversations. Thanks
Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wward24
Thank you guys for the help. I will just head to the track and pick some of their brains. This is a great forum, I must say, for a newb. I have read up on some great conversations. Thanks
Did you end up getting one of the b5 platforms? I'm always interested in knowing what people have decided on for some strange reason