R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #376
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Tmann, even when i used the stock shocks i ordered the soft springs for it and set it up with i think 35f and 32.5r and it worked pretty good, a lot of it is using throttle control off the jumps, are indoor track is kinda like a supercross track so right before a jump i would just blip the throttle and the front end stays level but it takes practice and time to get it down, but since i went to the hb shocks it works like a dream.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #377
Tech Initiate

Ok thanks, I will have to play with it and see what's going to be best for me.
TMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #378
Tech Initiate

I updated the list of alternative parts with a few more and some tips on page 25, post #370

I should be getting my cutback back together after Christmas lol, I've just been so busy.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #379
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default replacement body, non OEM

Other than the original Cutback body on Tower, can anyone recommend a nice, durable, polycarbonate, clear body that would fit on the Cutback?
rhodesengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #380
Tech Apprentice

Default Cutback is back in stock

Just noticed that the Cutback is no longer showing as discontinued on the TH website. It is showing as "in stock". It is also in a catalog that came in the mail last week.

So maybe it is not discontinued after all?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #381
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Other than the original Cutback body on Tower, can anyone recommend a nice, durable, polycarbonate, clear body that would fit on the Cutback?
I would be interested too. Something that stops short of the front bumper too. A lot of damage happens because it covers the front bumper.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #382
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Just noticed that the Cutback is no longer showing as discontinued on the TH website. It is showing as "in stock". It is also in a catalog that came in the mail last week.

I bought the 2017 Rapture body from Proline, its a great thick body.
Attached Thumbnails
Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck-20160305_172037.jpg   Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck-20160305_172042.jpg   Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck-20160305_172053.jpg   Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck-20160305_172059.jpg  
Old 12-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #383
Tech Apprentice

looks great but yikes, $80
Kind of like the way the Flo Tek one looks
https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...458-13/p469032

Was there any trick to locating the holes for the mounting pins with a pre painted body?
Old 12-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #384
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
looks great but yikes, $80
Kind of like the way the Flo Tek one looks
https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...458-13/p469032

Was there any trick to locating the holes for the mounting pins with a pre painted body?

Put shock oil on top of each body post and place body on top of post.it will leave oil residue in the places that you need to ream holes ..might take a couple tries to get the correct position but it has always worked for me..
rannblod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #385
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannblod View Post
Put shock oil on top of each body post and place body on top of post.it will leave oil residue in the places that you need to ream holes ..might take a couple tries to get the correct position but it has always worked for me..
Yeah, nice tip. I might try some white Lithium grease. It would stay put better but same concept.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #386
Tech Initiate

Quote:

I have no idea, I never could get any solid information out of Tower or Hobbico. I had them both on the phone a second time, and they didn't know who was in charge of making the decisions on the cutback.

I'm just assuming since they are running out of parts and kits, in that they have to decide if they want to have china make up a bunch of parts and kits again. Cost and profitability. Time will tell.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #387
Tech Apprentice

Default question about servo saver bearing

So I went to put a new servo in my Cutback. The old one was ok but I just wanted to upgrade.

So I removed the V-shaped support so I could get the servo mount out. When I did that, I noticed the that bearing at the top of the right side servo saver was up inside the plastic V-support leaving the shaft through the servo saver to flop around..

So my question is, what is supposed to hold the bearing down in the servo saver? I looked at the parts exploded diagram and it seems to only show a washer between the V-support and the bearing. Not sure I see how that is supposed to hold the bearing down. Went I took the V-support off, I did npt see the washers shown in the diagram but it is possible they fell out and I didn't notice. Maybe just some Loctite bearing retainer? Not sure how well that would work with the plastic bearing mount.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #388
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My daughter won one of these trucks from Seether's giveaway and I have to say that I am really impressed. After a day at the track practicing, her 1st ever BTW, we put 45 wt in the front and 40 in the rear and 6-6-3 in the diffs. She ran her 1st ever race the following Saturday and the truck really responded to the changes. The rear end was much more planted and not fishtailing halfway down the straights like it was stock. The track doesn't have any big jumps so I can't say if we helped the nose down attitude or not but it did "look" better over the jumps that there are. I hope this helps out some
stoopideric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #389
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just an update on mine, i have now ran about 30 battery packs through it and (knock on wood) still have not broken 1 thing and the dog bones and outdrives are not showing any wear yet, love this truck way more than the Losi SCTE i raced for 4 years. you can't go wrong with this. if your gonna race it, it needs a good set of shocks, i've been running hot bodies ve8 shocks front and rear with the tekno ultralight springs and drilled the pistons from 1.3 to 1.4, running a 5.5t 550 2 pole motor with 54 spur and 13t pinion but our straight away is only about 40ft. long. i.m also using traxxas slash tie rods and upper camber links too for adjustability. this truck uses Losi SCTE wheel offset too. i'm also using a DHK hobby hunter body on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck-p1030348.jpg   Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck-p1030349.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #390
Tech Initiate

Quote:
So I went to put a new servo in my Cutback. The old one was ok but I just wanted to upgrade.

So I removed the V-shaped support so I could get the servo mount out. When I did that, I noticed the that bearing at the top of the right side servo saver was up inside the plastic V-support leaving the shaft through the servo saver to flop around..

So my question is, what is supposed to hold the bearing down in the servo saver? I looked at the parts exploded diagram and it seems to only show a washer between the V-support and the bearing. Not sure I see how that is supposed to hold the bearing down. Went I took the V-support off, I did npt see the washers shown in the diagram but it is possible they fell out and I didn't notice. Maybe just some Loctite bearing retainer? Not sure how well that would work with the plastic bearing mount.
I'm currently assembling my cutback right now, as I just rebuilt all the differentials with new bearings, gears, O-rings, etc.. I noticed the problem you are talking about the space between the mount and bearing. Mine has some coned washers in-between the top bearing and the V-shape support. Only thing is it kind of damaged the top of the round standoff. I would recommend putting some kind of steel or aluminum spacer with a 4mm ID and like a 5 or 6mm OD to fill up the gap. Instead of the washer. I will look into this today and see what I can do.