Wiki Posts
Search

Stampede motor help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Stampede motor help

Heyas. My 5yo has a 2x4 gravedigger. He wanted to go a little faster so i switched from the 12t brushed titan and xl5 to a sidewinder and 4800kv brushless i had taken out of one of my cars... the thing is now stupid fast and wheelies even approaching top speed if full throttled. the pinion is fairly big compared to stock also.
i realise the pinion is also making a huge difference and i should probably try that pinion on the titan but my question is what turns or kv compares to the 12t brushed. i have a 17.5t brushless i got with a parts lot but figured that would be slower. Still fairly new back to the hobby and don't really have my head around turns kv and the difference between brushed and brushless. i.e is 12 turns brushed = 12 turns brushless etc.

My son tells me he loves it but its really undrivable and extremely sensitive to any throttle input. Would loves some opinions as to what i should try next. Atm im thinking of going back to the original setup and trying some different pinions.
Cheers
Cheers
Old 09-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Initiate

any help out there for an old fart be much appreciated
Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would suggest using a castle link to dial the thing down to about 50% and see if that is about right. Kind of a training mode to take the top end off it. It should also have a punch control to help with the wheel standing.

You can also dial the throttle EPA down to 50% on the radio.

A smaller pinion will also slow it down, but will get more torque to the wheels, not a car I know the recommended pinion sizes for but I know that you do not want to just undergear it as that can cause heat by running the motor wide open more often.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree. I would either change the motor out for something a little milder like a 3800 or less, or dial down the esc/radio.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Didn't think of dialing the esc back a bit. will play around with that while i educate myself a little more to make a proper decision. Fun as it is the car is just going to bust left the way it is.
Thanks guys.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
I agree. I would either change the motor out for something a little milder like a 3800 or less, or dial down the esc/radio.
Got bored once some time ago when my daughter had a slash 2wd... put a 3800 castle motor in it. Still pretty crazy, a lot of torque for a 2wd, with that motor you would have to dial down the punch.

But looking at the positive side of this question.. he dials the car down with the radio EPA or the settings in the ESC that leaves room to grow as driving skills improve without major upgrade expenses.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:05 AM
Tech Initiate

ha! room to grow.... i recon im a decent driver for an old fart and i find it hard to drive... rides the wheelie bar with all 4 wheels off the ground at any speed with anything more than the slightest squeeze of the trigger. still havnt got around to changing it we have been busy crawling instead
Old 10-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The 3800 is not "dialing down" haha. While the kv rating is lower, the torque is quite a bit higher because it's a longer can. Crazy power for a 2wd.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That's why I am a fan of the Traxxas VXL system. It has a training mode you can use until you feel you're ready for more power. It's a really nice system, I have a few of them.