Wiki Posts
Search

Stock Class reboot

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPKinsella
Why not run the class open and split the classes up by skill level? Novice, Pro, Expert ???
Joe,

I am with you on this one. BUT.. in order to keep the sandbaggers out of the lower classes, you have to name them appropriately. I would recommend:

Novice
Beginner (or "sportsman", or "getting better", or something)
Expert

There wont be any bragging rights for an experienced driver to win the A main in the "beginner class". They will bump up asap! Make all 3 classes open, and vuala, people will sort themselves (and/or with help from the RD). and you're good to go.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My 4yo has a 21.5 in his RC10 and once he is ready to start racing, he will start with a 21.5. I've watched too many novice kids running 17.5 (or whatever KV motor comes with their RTR) and the power is too much for them. Learning the art of race craft is easier to do at a slower speed.

17.5 is fine for stock, but it should be a locked timing motor (like the old days) and the retail price should be under $50.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It'd be best if people stopped seeing stock as a beginners or novice class, it's the most hardcore class you can run. Just leave the class as it is but set up a RTR class like some have previously mentioned. That's a true cheap/novice class. Tracks could give people good deals on say perhaps the b4.2 RTR and that would be your class. They're slow but still a good car to begin with, forcing the newer guys to really focus on throttle control and their lines.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Would "novice" or "beginner" class using 17.5 , no timing , and being limited to a pre determined FDR work at all ? Something that kept them slow. And when they want to bump to "stock" , the gearing is open
Old 09-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

How about we run qualifiers and place the drivers in separate races based on their skill level or qualifying times. We can call these the A, B, C, etc Mains. No one steal my idea here, this is going to catch on.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ColbyRichards
It'd be best if people stopped seeing stock as a beginners or novice class, it's the most hardcore class you can run. Just leave the class as it is but set up a RTR class like some have previously mentioned. That's a true cheap/novice class. Tracks could give people good deals on say perhaps the b4.2 RTR and that would be your class. They're slow but still a good car to begin with, forcing the newer guys to really focus on throttle control and their lines.
The AE 3300kv rtr motor is fast. It is more like a 13.5. Those rtr cars haul butt.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

17.5 is not entry level, big chargers, dumping packs to warm them up, super fresh batteries, motors with strong rotors, timing and gearing dialed in. All of that takes years to get really good at especially if you are doing it without someone helping you.

I feel a class comparable to VTA for offroad is really needed.

run 17.5 motors, anything that is roar legal, all the guys have them in the box, but make it limited on how much gearing you can put on it. limit the batteries to like 40c or 50c make it full length packs. Also we have to spec the tires just like vta, like m3 ribs and holeshots. open cell inserts, no grinding of tires, no cutting of inserts. You have to run them like they come out of the package.

Something along those lines would be awesome, guys could be really competitive with a b4 still, and everyone has 17.5 motor but with the gearing limited you would be suprised to how even the power would get when the motors didn't get over 100 degrees.

Just my .02
Old 09-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default No Way...

Originally Posted by WalterMagnum
How about we run qualifiers and place the drivers in separate races based on their skill level or qualifying times. We can call these the A, B, C, etc Mains. No one steal my idea here, this is going to catch on.
That will never work...
Old 09-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WalterMagnum
What is this nonsense you speak?
Old 09-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This discussion reminds so much of my old softball days with ASA wanting to slow down the speed of batted balls. Everyone just quit playing ASA and went to Utrip or A&V. .
Old 09-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Stock is certainly not a "beginners" class, but the slower speeds alone make it more feasible to run in, than say, mod for a true beginner. Quite a few tracks actually run a novice or beginner class. Essentially run what you brung unless it is like a large nitro or electric. It's great because it helps people assimilate into racing, and then move up to either stock or mod class when they are ready.

I would like to see a class like vta for off-road.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

The word "stock" needs to go away. There needs to be a spec locked timing, and sealed can motor class, ROAR or somebody needs to step up and put some rules in place because the motor companies are going the opposite direction offering outlaw motor parts. They did it to speed controls with the blinky rule, limit the motors KV, limit battery output and get it back to a drivers class.

I think a spec chassis and electronics class would be a blast. Super cheap competent chassis, 17.5 locked motor, spec 40a speed control, 60c or less shorty. Rules define every detail of the chassis, shocks, wheels, tranny etc. All manufactures can build it and go crazy
Old 09-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB
The word "stock" needs to go away. There needs to be a spec locked timing, and sealed can motor class, ROAR or somebody needs to step up and put some rules in place because the motor companies are going the opposite direction offering outlaw motor parts. They did it to speed controls with the blinky rule, limit the motors KV, limit battery output and get it back to a drivers class.

I think a spec chassis and electronics class would be a blast. Super cheap competent chassis, 17.5 locked motor, spec 40a speed control, 60c or less shorty. Rules define every detail of the chassis, shocks, wheels, tranny etc. All manufactures can build it and go crazy
Amen.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Joe,

I am with you on this one. BUT.. in order to keep the sandbaggers out of the lower classes, you have to name them appropriately. I would recommend:

Novice
Beginner (or "sportsman", or "getting better", or something)
Expert

There wont be any bragging rights for an experienced driver to win the A main in the "beginner class". They will bump up asap! Make all 3 classes open, and vuala, people will sort themselves (and/or with help from the RD). and you're good to go.
+1, and change expert stock to a 13.5 and have track owners actually take responsibility and not just our money. If the same guy dominates from week to week in stock. Bump him up to expert 13.5, and no full ride guys in 17.5 unless it is a stock nationals type race. A lot of this would be avoided if track owners priced their shit better.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The answer is more simple than most think, at least in the perennial 2wd classes.
Rookie is just that, and is run what ya brung
Sportsman 2wd REQUIRES 17.5 blinky
Then you have expert 17.5 and expert open at big races, but just expert at club races. 17.5 is perfectly legal in open, and on tracks that aren't huge with big air, are often just as fast due to being easier to drive.

The real problem with all of this is that most rookies come in with an RTR or a 4wd sc that has way more power and speed already, and they don't want to buy something slower to be able to race. That boils down to education or making the slower thing super cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.