R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Brushless Systems

How is this new Novak GTB Racing Brushless System? I've looked at the specs on Novak's site but I want to hear other people's comments and opinions. Is it fast? Faster than the 5800? Does it come factory wired? With a factory fan installed?

And what other systems out there would be good to run in a XXX-T? Hacker, Schulze? Anything else?

Please give me links and info if possible.

B-Mur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:03 AM   #2
Tech Adept

The GTB system is faster than the 5800. The 5800 is a 8.5 turn, and the GTB are 6.5 and 5.5 turn systems, depending on the model. The system combos come soldered. Keep in mind, if you plan on running any kind of stock racing with your brushless, there is no stock setting on the GTB systems. Only on the Super Sport systems. You would have to run a brushed motor. The club level might not care about brushed or brushless in stock, but ROAR events would require a brushed stock motor for stock racing.

I have the 5800 system and it's pretty fast. I haven't come up against anyone running anything else yet, not even the LRP. I know the LRP is out in limited quantities, so not many people are running it yet.

I don't know of that many other brushless systems beyond the ones you mentioned, the Novak and LRP systems. I'm sure there are others, but they might not be proven for 10th scale racing.

Good luck in your search.
briansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #3
Tech Master
Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

The GTB hasn't been released yet so finding info will be hard.

The New Novak BL motors come in two variations, 5.5 and 6.5 but Novak uses a different method to calculate the number of turns their motors have. From what i've heard so far the 5.5 is comparable to an 8x1-3 and the 6.5 to a 9x1-3 which sounds about right as the SS5800 (8.5) is equivalent to a good 12-13t motor.

Looks like the GTB will come with a preassembled fan but i wonder how well this ESC will fit under a 1/10 2WD buggy body.

Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Novak GTB Has been released in the U.S. It's available on eBay and at a number of LHS as well as Online Stores. As for the specs... everything that has been mentioned so far seems to be quite accurate.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was talking to a few guys (George and Pat) yesterday at Speed Racer's (in Dallas) who were running LRP Sphere/Vectors. Here's what I learned:

George said it was more power than he could manage. It was on a somewhat slick track, running in the sphere in "regular" mode (as opposed to low-grip mode). He though he might go back to using his Novak 5800 setup.

Pat said he had his first Sphere go bad on him the last time he raced, and the new one quit on him during this race. Made me wonder about the quality...

Neither one had any experience with the Low-grip mode on the Sphere... or the sportsman mode. Bummer, because these seem to be the only things the Sphere has that the GTB does not.

As a result of all this, I ended up cancelling my Sphere order. I'd still like to give brushless a try in my B4... so I think I'll wait a month or so until more people have tried out the Sphere and the GTB. Unless there are bad reviews of the GTB, I'll probably buy one of those with the Novak SS5800 motor for use in the buggy... and I'll look for a SS4300 motor to try to use should I ever want to race against stock racers at the club level.

Does anyone else but me wish that LRP and Novak would drop the whole "brushed and brushless" thing? Once I go brushless, I won't likely run brushed again... and if the ESC is more costly/complicated/etc due to the support of brushed motors, I'd just as soon save everyone the hassle and have the companies produce brushless-only ESCs.
Bob Nilsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I see great benfits to the casual and club level racer for using brushless/brushed speed controls. I don't go to many ROAR events. In fact, since I've gotten back into racing, I haven't been to one. I plan on attending one or two local ROAR events next year, though. All of my racing is done at the club level and I race only once or twice a month. I use only brushless during these times.

I switched to the brushless to keep my motor maintenance down, such as comm cutting, brush replacements, oiling bushings, rebuilding, etc. I only have to worry about a few components on the brushless and od my normal club racing routine.

For the ROAR events I won't have to keep an extra speedo around. I can just swap the motor out and run in my stock class. I'm sure most people run at least a few ROAR events a year. The question to ask yourself at that point is it worth paying $400 or more for a brushless combo and brushed speedo and motor. Just about all radios now have multiple profile setups, so programming it and switching over wouldn't be that difficult, but then you have to look at how to secure the speedo. Velcro or servo tape? Servo tape takes a while to clean and peel off. Velcro doesn't completely secure it.

I understand your thoughts about keeping brushless as brushless, but it makes sense to me to have them capable of both brushed and brushless. There's a lot of hassle, in my opinion, to switching out speedos for different events.
briansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
Tech Master

Bob- mate i dont think you have to doubt the quality of the LRP, them make supurb probucts. im not being biased here, having both novak and lrp in my collection. the i have spolen to a couple of guys about the low grip profile and have been told it is very liner, they said they wouldnt no the difference between the brushless and brushed systems. apprently thats what lrp tried to do when it design the brushless syystem, make it very liner , that awesome for the offroad boys
Anthony Campbell

Ryper Hobbies l AKA l Sworkz
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote