Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What is the best 1/8th buggy in the market? >

What is the best 1/8th buggy in the market?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best 1/8th buggy in the market?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cesarkeller
@blade329 thanks for your information...

You make a good point that makes sense and that is the driving environment or condition to run the car. And some run different on different surfaces. My favorite track is Smack Track which is indoor clay and the local club where I do most of my driving.

There is another outdoor track called Dirt Burners dedicated to 1/8th which I am wanting to go try out soon.

Also, I have heard a bunch of people say that the Team Associated 1/8th line is not great compared to most all other options. Seeing as how that is the brand I have always stuck with, that is why I started this thread.

So far I am leaning towards trying Losi or Kyosho. But I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were as Durango, Serpent, Tekno etc are all viable options. Thanks!
Some points:

Kyosho is always a safe bet. I also like the Xray and Hotbodies cars better.

But if you're running indoor clay, the Tekno is the car to get. I hate the Tekno shock geometry, but the rest of the car is good.

Mugen needs 16mm bore shocks IMO. Any track setup that really doesn't need tons of rebound speed, the Mugen will be fine on.

Losi and AE wear quickly. Losi seems like a good car though. AE is an old car. Both are designed to sell parts.

Losi and Serpent have the ESC up front, not protected by the wing like a rear mounted ESC.

Serpent is awesomely durable, about as durable as the Xray. Mine tended to wander around the track and fight my inputs. I sold it. Just wasn't consistent with it.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Tech Prophet

I do agree with you on that Zero the Mugen could use 16mm shocks it would handle a rough track much better .
Old 08-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cesarkeller
@Ibenton: You make a really great point about parts and availability. Do you have a local Hobby Shop around you that has parts for Serpent and Durango? Or do you have a favorite online store you order from?
My LHS does not stock on hand for Durango or Serpent, but they can order Durango parts. However it seems that those parts being available is a total crap shoot. Many times items are on backorder and those backordered items will all to often have the expected date pushed back over and over again.

No plan to get rid of either Durango (DEX408 and DEX408T) they suit me very well and I am not having to get parts often. But all the same I want to add the Tekno EB48.2 and ET48 to the fleet. The plastic on the Tekno seems to be as tough as plastic can get, and they do not develop slop as fast as many other options.

As for the Serpent, if I had a local source that would be able to support parts I might have that instead of Durango? I am a big supporter of buying parts local as much as possible. Doing this keeps the shop in business and the track open.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

As an owner of the rc8.2e, I am a little surprised to be reading that car is basically outclassed. I do wonder if the car still makes first place at races. I am also surprised to read the car was "designed to sell parts". I'm ae fanboy but I liked then better before they were bought out as they are no longer an American brand.

Maybe they can make a comeback. The mbx7e would be on my list but I have the rc8.2e. I admit, my rc8be drive cvts war quickly.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just went through this process and ended up picking up a Losi 8ight-e 3.0. The other two I narrowed it down to was a Mugen MBX7 eco and Tekno EB48.2.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 3.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

cheap spares but fast wearing parts? losi, AE

best quality? serpent, xray, mugen, sworkz

best indooors? mbx7, eb48.2, sworkz be1

easiest to drive? mp9e, mbx6 eco, xb9e

good compromise between steering and stability? serpent 2.0, losi 3.0e, xb8e

rc8.2e? it's an average car I would say, but not the best in one specific area

there is no better car, it really depends on your driving style and tracks you're running on

high grip and smooth driving style -> any of the cars I mentioned for indoors

low grip and agressive driving style -> any of the car that is easy to drive
Old 09-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
cheap spares but fast wearing parts? losi, AE

best quality? serpent, xray, mugen, sworkz

best indooors? mbx7, eb48.2, sworkz be1

easiest to drive? mp9e, mbx6 eco, xb9e

good compromise between steering and stability? serpent 2.0, losi 3.0e, xb8e

rc8.2e? it's an average car I would say, but not the best in one specific area

there is no better car, it really depends on your driving style and tracks you're running on

high grip and smooth driving style -> any of the cars I mentioned for indoors

low grip and agressive driving style -> any of the car that is easy to drive
This post contains much wisdom IMO. Good job Pulse.