Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Unable to resolve a diff problem (video) >

Unable to resolve a diff problem (video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to resolve a diff problem (video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Unable to resolve a diff problem (video)

I have a problem with my ST4 G3.

This is what happened on a track:

http://youtu.be/bFehbwfTJqc

I checked all 3 diffs - dismounted, checked every single part for any wear, used fresh oil, mounted again, they feel like new in hands. Checked front and rear diff pinions for any damage. All like new. Changed all the bearings. The cvds dont have any movement, the screws are tight and good. Diffs are shimmed like they should be. Pinion/spur meshing is perfect. I have no idea what is going on here.
The truck runs but looses power and that grinding happens when I pull the trigger hard. It's like slipper cluch was too loose, if there was one

This is how it looks now:

http://youtu.be/8tXl0EuPA0U

Maybe you can tell what is wrong by watching that video? Which diff do you think causes the problem? Or maybe it's something else?

I plan to run a few packs this weekend, push really hard, and just wait for the broken part to crash. But still I would prefer to know what is going on...

Last edited by stanson; 08-14-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The ring/pinion gears in there might be blown or improperly shimmed.

Last edited by lbenton; 08-14-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ring and pinion stripped, probably the rear (its always the first one to go out on my scte)
Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Thank for the tips. Problem solved, proper shimming was needed. The cause was rear diff housing which stripped on the left side. This affected diff moving when under stress. I tottaly missed it. Replaced and runs perfect.
Still need to replace pinion and spur because moving diff caused a bit of strip of some teeth. Doesn't look like it affects anything as these parts are damn strong but if there's a wear I prefer to replace.
I will race it on Sunday as there is going to be rainy and I want to spare my RC8.2e