Wiki Posts
Search

Panther Slick Tire Foams

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Questions?? Panther Slick Tire Foams

I am a buggy newb. I bought the Panther Slick tires for the front and rear of my B5M in the clay compound. The included white, open-cell foams are huge. The front foams are about as wide as the rear tires and the rear foams are even wider. The foams barely fit inside the tires and it does not seem like this will allow them be glued properly without severely compressing the foams. Do the foams need to be cut or should I squeeze them into the tires when gluing and allow the foams to form to the tire?

I'm considering getting the Panther orange molded foams because they fit so well in the slicks on my SC10, but the softer white foams seem better suited for the sticky, but bumpy clay track I'm going to race on.

Thank you.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
I am a buggy newb. I bought the Panther Slick tires for the front and rear of my B5M in the clay compound. The included white, open-cell foams are huge. The front foams are about as wide as the rear tires and the rear foams are even wider. The foams barely fit inside the tires and it does not seem like this will allow them be glued properly without severely compressing the foams. Do the foams need to be cut or should I squeeze them into the tires when gluing and allow the foams to form to the tire?

I'm considering getting the Panther orange molded foams because they fit so well in the slicks on my SC10, but the softer white foams seem better suited for the sticky, but bumpy clay track I'm going to race on.

Thank you.
If you are considering running slick tires, you will certainly want to run the closed cell type foam and the panther closed cell is very good.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

The panther front slicks are just too tall and will give you way too much steering. I would make a set of front slicks out of some other front tire. The rear slicks are amazing, but for sure use closed cell foams in them. I like the aka red myself.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info. I decided to order Panther's orange, closed-cell foams.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The front panther slicks are too wide for 2wd rims they are actually the right width for 4wd rims. No matter what foams you use they will be tall and rounded.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Are the Sweep slicks shorter?

I'm also getting two sets of treaded tires so I'll have other options for the front tires.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Are the Sweep slicks shorter?

I'm also getting two sets of treaded tires so I'll have other options for the front tires.
Just looked at their website and the only slicks I see are for on road.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcgod
Just looked at their website and the only slicks I see are for on road.
http://www.sweepracingusa.com/110-of...set_p_490.html
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Since those are for 4wd buggy they will probably be the same as the panthers although I've never ran the Sweep tires. The problem isn't the panthers are too tall they are too wide for 2wd rims so the sidewalls are squeezed closer and the tire gets tall and rounded.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Team Tekin

Dual Stage foams work good in the rear tires and the front tires are the same for 4WD/2WD. I'd sand some 2WD fronts down to slicks and run CC foam in them.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I run panther slicks on all my cars, AKA foams seem to work great! There is a pretty large difference in how much steering you get from ground down tires and panther tires. The panthers are alot more aggressive and give you a ton of steering, if I ever have to dial it down a bit I run panthers on the rear and proline slicks on the front. It pushes more that way but sometime it just works better.