Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Spur gear for XXXT >

Spur gear for XXXT

Spur gear for XXXT

Old 08-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Spur gear for XXXT

Hey guys.

After stripping my standard plastic spur gear i was wondering how the kevlar spur gears hold up.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

I have not run one before, but since it is kevlar, i.e. bullet proof, I would think that it would last much longer and hold up to harsh conditions much better than the typical plastic one. It had better, I think the kevlar gear is about $14 USD. I believe many of the nitro trucks use kevlar spur gears in thier kits. Their needs are a little more demanding than an electric motor.

If you strip your spur gear often enough it might be worth the investment. If not, I would just buy a few plastic ones and go that way. 3 plastic spurs should be cheaper than 1 kevlar spur. I strip about 2 or maybe three a year. It's not worth it for me to use one.

Maybe someone with some kevlar experience will give you some more information.

Hope this helps.
Brian
Old 08-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

if you are paying 14 dollars a gear for the kevlar ones,then someone is ripping you off.they go for $4.00 at the shop i work at.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

I remember looking at kevlar gears about 2 years ago and didn't buy it because it was noticeably more expensive than the plastic ones. Now they're $4, right about the same price as the plastic ones. Maybe there wasn't a demand for it then, or maybe someone was trying rip me off.

If there's that little of a difference in price, then buy one. It's only .50 more.

Sorry about the misinformation.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

they kevlar gears make more noise for me,
and they didn't seem to last long for me,
i switched back to the plastic gears on the bk and mf and i'm happy with them.
in my xxx4g i still have the kevlar gear that came with the kit, you don't notice the extra noise since the the drivetrain makes enough noise already
Old 08-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think you need to find the cause of the spur failure. is it the mesh? no matter what spur you use you will still strip it if the mesh is wrong. if foreign objects enter, well it happens... but have a look at what is causeing it and let us no