Need help!!!!!

Old 08-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Need help!!!!!

Hello all

I’ve been taking my 7 year old son racing for the last couple of years. We don’t get a lot of racing in each year but he is showing improvement. The problem that I’m running into is, (from my advice, so that he won’t crash into the lane divider) that is drives slow around the track (off road). He does get up to racing speed from time to time, but for the most part he crawl around the track. What this is causing is that he over heats motors (smoking them) with his driving style. He us running a Losi Spec XXX-T with a Novak GT7 speed control and a mid to high end motors.

Does anybody have any advice to what I can do, different speed control, motor that will stand up to his driving style ect. ect.

Thanks for any input sent my way

Rich
Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Try an O'Donnel Checkpoint motor. They are supposed to have long life. You can also get a heatsink to clip over your motor to help dissipate the heat. The speed control should be fine, I wouldn't worry about replacing it. The best thing to do is to get your son running faster laps. Try giving him a slow motor so he can use more throttle. Give him a P2K2 and let him loose on the track. No need to go high end when he won't use the whole motor. The P2K2 will get you good torque and longevity. To increase the life of the brushes, go for some Trinity XXX brushes. The only issue with these is they tend to be a little bit harder on the comm.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

Team R.

What Platinum Racing has told you is good advice. To add to that what spur & pinoin gear are you running with his setup. It might just be it is geared to tall for the way he is driving.

Bump
Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

good point speedbump, gearing is the first thing you should check if your motors are overheating, your pinion might be to big. I'll second that on checkpoint motors, I have had mine for 3 months now and have finally cut the comm after running it 30 or so times, not to mention I am on only my second pair of brushes.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes you first must crawl befor you walk, it sounds as if he has a mild mod motor, definatley goa stock motor, in aust. we still have johnson 540 class for rookies and this year was the first not to have the class at the nationals. it is great for the younger racers to learn from
Old 08-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Oh my God we must have about 6 or 7 of those old Johnsons here. Those things are awsome. We slapped one in our Box-Stock Rustler when the Stinger burnt up (It's the only thing we could run in Box-Stock other than a Mabuchi or Stinger) and got 150 laps from a GP 3300 matched battery. It was insane. Slow, but insane. I actually prefer the Johnsons to the Mabuchi's. They give better torque and battery life, plus the name sounds better.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Initiate

My son was running a 19/88 pinion and spur gear.

I will look into one of the P2K2 motors for my son. I was also thinking about seting up a simple road course in a park lot in town some place where he can work on his driving skills.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Assuming your running stock on a typical offroad track i would stay about a 16-17 pinion your a couple teeth overgeared i think. For the way he is driving i would probably go 14-15 pinion but this will give the truck more punch making it spin easier.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Yep 19-88 is too tall for the way he is driving. 15-16 88 was about all I ever used, it was just right for the way I drove.