Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Any guidelines for setting up a GT for a tight track? >

Any guidelines for setting up a GT for a tight track?

Any guidelines for setting up a GT for a tight track?

Old 08-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Any guidelines for setting up a GT for a tight track?

I got a really short, loose and tight track around here, with no major jumps, and in stock form, the RC10GT has huge amounts of steering push on power - it just doesn't steer, but understeers badly.

What can I do to overcome this? Is shortening the suspension a common step for GT racers? They seem way too long considering the smooth nature of the track, just allowing excessive roll and pitch, inducing weight transfers.

I've currently shortened both ends using internal spaces so the a-arms are almost parallel to the ground, and installed stiffer rear springs (gold) along with 30wt oil. I run silver ones in the front. Haven't tested this setup yet, though.

Any insight would be nice!

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

A good starting point would be softer springs, lighter oil and more angled shocks up front and vice versa for the rear.

Here is a site containing different setups for the RC10GT.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_setup.htm

Sean
Old 08-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The track I run alot sounds like yours. It's common for people to limit the downtravel of the suspension. I tend to like two of the little white plastic spacers that come in a shock rebuild kit in the front shocks. Used to limit the rear, but seem to like it better without the rear limiting. I've been running 40 wt oil in the front with blue springs, and 2 piston. 35 oil in rear with silver springs and 1 piston. You can play with the front and rear camber links also, maybe shorten the rears and lengthen the fronts. What servo are you running? They make a huge difference just by putting in a good one. I also find losi red directionals up front work better than the pro line blades. I sent you a PM too.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Jeff

I forgot which does which, but changing the lenth of the rear wheels you can get more steering cant you??
Old 08-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D Mac
Jeff

changing the lenth of the rear wheels
...now THAT is an interesting concept. Someone please enlighten me.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D Mac
Jeff

I forgot which does which, but changing the lenth of the rear wheels you can get more steering cant you??
You mean shortening or lengthening the wheelbase right? Ya, if you run the short wheelbase it'll give more rear traction, so longer wheelbase should take away some rear traction and aid the front. I'm finding more and more though tires are the name of the game, and being able to just slide the rear tires a bit around the corner. Hard to do though. I've been learning alot this summer by just watching the real fast elec guys.