Glue foams to the rim?? >

Glue foams to the rim??

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GregH

Glue foams to the rim??

Old 08-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default Glue foams to the rim??

Wondering if any of you guys glue your foams to your rims and why would you??

thanks
dave mac
Old 08-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I have done it on some high bite tracks. Gluing the foam to the rim increases the side to side stiffness of the foam as it is not allowed to shift on the rim anymore. IT works pretty good when using soft tires on a high traction surface. Use Super 77 or some other type of spray adhesive to do this. Contact cement would also work well but be a little messier.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

I will admit 110% that it does work pretty darn good, but prolly wouldnt recomend it if it's your local track, because you can always cut the tire and then put new insert in it, i would much rather use some servo tape/double sided tape, that also works..... maybe its just me but i do that because of where i race its easy on tires and can reuse them if you just open up tire and put new insert in them..... but if you do decide to reopen them open them up from the backside of rim(the side of rim facing the chassis) hope this helps...

LaTa JoSh
Old 08-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

more bench racing=no fun
no bench racing=tons of fun

get out there and race, screw this new fandango glue the foams to the rims crap and drive the damn car! thats the only way you will become faster!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by o.s. power
more bench racing=no fun
no bench racing=tons of fun

get out there and race, screw this new fandango glue the foams to the rims crap and drive the damn car! thats the only way you will become faster!
I've been gluing the foams to the wheels for years for the exact reason Casper has stated.
XLosiguy likes this.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Cool

Thanks Casper, and all the replies.

AS for you OS power, I guarantee you I race more then you do, I race between two and four times a week, so please keep your comments on the subjuect!!!!
Old 08-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have a track in my back yard, I run everyday and race at least twice a week, sometimes three during the winter.

As for the glue part, what scale do you do this on, stricly 1/10 or 1/8, on road or off road, or anything that uses rubber tires?

what type of surface does it work best, casper said it works best on high traction surfaces, so do you get any benefits on a loamy surface? traction isn't a problem, the surface is just not hard like clay.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

I was referring to 1/10 scale, and Im sure casper was to.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

I do it on 8th scale buggy tires. They weight more and cause more tire/sidewall deflection. When this happens, the foam will slide from one side to the other. It makes the car feel squirrely.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

For what it is worth I believe Adam Drake does this with all his tires. I have only tried it with super soft tires on blue groove. I have yet to try this in other applications but I did feel it had a postive effect on traction of the tire.