Wiki Posts
Search

How To: 1/8 wheels on XXX-SCT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default How To: 1/8 wheels on XXX-SCT!

OK so I could not find a direct answer on how to do this, but with a billiondy threads trying to cover this I sort of picked out bits of info on how to do it. I don't even know or care if this truck is popular anymore, I personally really like the Losi XXX platform so I really like the SCT.

Here is how I did it, and I am glad I did. I love using my buggy wheels on the XXX keeps costs down and I don't have to have the SCT wheels which I personally hate.

Here we go...

You will need to buy some stuff. But that is to be expected. You will need a dremel for this to fully work.

At lowes/home depot/any hardware store:
* M5 bolts, they are small. These will be for the rear axles. Get spares.
* #10 Split lock washers. I got a package of stainless ones from lowes for like 2 bucks.

Online or at your hobby shop
* Losa9941 - You need the two plates that go between the bearing in the rear hub and the axle pin. It comes as a pack of spacers and the two plates. I got them on ebay for 7 bucks shipped.

* 3/16x3/8 Bearings. You need 4, I got a pack of 10 for 12.50 shipped on ebay. These will be for the front wheel hubs to ride on the axles. Losi uses a lame 5x10mm front bearing for the wheels, so the axle needs to be swapped.
* Exotek Racing XXX to SC10 axles. http://www.exotekracing.com/xxx-sct-...0-wheel-axles/ I ordered two packs of them so I could have spares, they ended up coming with 3 to a pack. I don't know if that is normal so you should email them if you wanted just one spare and not 4 like I now have LOL
* Hot racing part #SCT117X01 http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...CT117X01;c=461 I got this kit on ebay here http://www.ebay.com/itm/151306464592...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the conversion kit for the SC-10. I guess you can see where I am going with this now.

It really is pretty simple. The SC10 uses the same thickness rear axles as the Losi, but they use a different threading on the nut.

The front axles from Exotek are threaded M4, I am not sure if the front or the rear of the SC10 is M4, but the hot racing kit comes with two different nuts. Two of the four are M4 threaded, so you simply put those exotek axles on your SCT, put the 3/16x3/8 bearings in the hub, slide it onto the axle, and put the nut on with their little wrench they provide. Simple as that.

The rear is a little more complicated, but yet still fairly easy.

Take the little spacer form the losi kit you got, and stick it on the axle with the skinny end of it facing the bearing. Then you take the axle pin that comes in the kit or the pins you already have and slide that in place. The rear hub now goes right on the axle and it fits nice. The more "difficult" part is that you cannot get an M5 bolt into there with a normal socket as there is no room.

So what I did was use two of the #10 crush washers, and then I took an M5 nut and dremeled a slot into it. I then use a bunch of blue loctite on the axle shaft and then just use a larger flat head screw driver and crank the nut on there. You won't be able to get it screwed onto the axle far enough for any of the nylon insert to catch the threads, that is why I use the Loctite. Reason being is you need that slot to be deep enough so your screw driver can get a good enough grip on it to actually put some pressure on there.

The marks on the hub threads are from me doing a 45mph barrel roll down the road and the hubs made a little contact with the street. No harm done, everything works as it should. You can see the slot cut into the nut and how tight it is in there hence not being able to get a socket in there.

That is really all there is to it. I hope this helps someone. Hell, even if one person finds this useful then I am a happy camper. Any questions just ask.

The way I see it, if you total everything up cash wise.. I spent 70 bucks five or take a couple. But I have about 5 sets of buggy tires on hand, and I kept stripping out the hubs on the 12mm hex's with the SCT tires. I only owned one set and once the hex stripped I just converted. I don't want to waste a lot of cash on SCT tires and wheels, and I love having a selection of tires. So this worked for me, it may not be feasible or easily justified for other people.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5571-...ct-width-4pcs/

For next time
Old 06-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wittyname

Those would not have worked for the XXX-SCT.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Been using this setup now for the last couple days, it is rocking.