Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How many cars to race is too much? >

How many cars to race is too much?

How many cars to race is too much?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Ok call me crazy... I have from the beginning ran 3 classes Gas Truck , Nitro Buggy and Nitro Truggy. Started to dabble with electric 1/10 scale and slowly converted over to ONLY electric. Now I'm the guy running 5 even 6 classes. Yep this is my outlook. The toy cars I build bring me pleasure. Stimulating me in way's of old. Like when I raced flat track in PA or Road raced Motorcycles In South America ( Brazil) or here in USA > Daytona , Road Atlanta.. etc. The tuning the Tires, shocks , setups, the electronics, just tinkering on them is so therapeutic when doing so you forget all the worries and just concentrate on the task at hand . I run TLR cars because I find them well made and the local support is great at the Hobbyshop. So I'm a TLR guy for life, they just are super durable good handling racing machines. So at the track all cars have a LiPo or two I can keep charged. Fast /power full chargers keep charging times down to a Min. Usually able to turn marshal after my race put car on charge then get another and go out. If I miss a marshal duty I fill in where needed. I always even volunteer to marshal . I have fun ,make the A Main a lot of times.. yes not with them all. But I have a good time.
I contribute financially to better the track and club with my entry fees.
But most of all keep the classes full and most important keep the slower less run classes alive.
So enjoy yourself if you have the financial ability to run more than a few classes .... do it lets keep this awesome sport/hobby thriving and always help one another.
Lets race ... and never say he races so many classes to not marshal, that's the farthest from the truth.
On top of all this, you are one of the nicest people most folks will ever meet. A gentleman and a scholar and you are so awesome with my curious chatty kids!! They love you, always asking when are we going to the track so we can hang out with Glenn? Lol

I usually run 2 but can handle 3 easily at our local track because we have large turnouts every race week with about 8 classes most days. Sadly though Stadium Truck is dying a slow death but I bought a new 2WD buggy and gave my 4.2 to my youngest son to run on practice days and pulled the electronics out the the truck and out it I to that car.

As much as I didn't like 4wd SCT, it's grown on me a bit and is the truck class that's most appealing to me because of the competitiveness of the class every time out. I might be doing 2wd sct if the new brand I switched to releases that one first but they are working on a 4wd buggy that I will definitely be moving to.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I used to do the 3 classes, but just can't anymore. It goes from fun to stressful. Club races, I run a single class. Keep in mind our club races have less then 10 heats, and sometimes as few are 5, unless we go outdoor and it might be as high as 15. For series and bigger races, I tend to run 2, as with the number of heats, there is too much time sitting around otherwise.

I ran 2 at AMS (ebuggy and etruggy), and it was a good balance. I was rushed on Thursday practice due to the 1-2 hour lines to get on the driver's stand, and having 2 cars to get on the track, that was plenty. On Friday during qualifiers, I probably could have run a 3rd as there was a fair bit of downtime. Having some other friends there to pit for (nitro) or just put their cars down and help wrench filled the time inbetween working on my own. Mains on Saturday, due to bumping in ebuggy, and helping some friends, it was more hectic.

We have a couple of friends that go to races together, and it's not just our own heats, but we are there for each others, helping with marshalling, or even just turning their cars on and setting them down at the beginning, and picking them up at the end to take back to the trailer while they go marshall and getting batteries on charge. Obviously for the nitro, there is more involved. Between running, marshalling, and helping friends, 3 rounds with 20 heats will fly by. Main's get easier due to the longer run times.