R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree21Likes

Old 09-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #16
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

any more news on this?

How has durability been in the spur gear department?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

Do you know of a center diff, from another 1/8 scale buggy, that will fit the arrma typhon?
bamajay76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Stanfsu

Just purchased one for bashing and this thing rock!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
Tech Adept

I recently got one of these after being out of the car hobby for 30+ years. I have been running in the backyard(big yard, rough though). Quite a few cartwheels, flips, small tree limbs jammed into the arms, nothing broken yet.

I am planning to hit practice days at the local track and maybe some very casual(last guy over the line timed with a calendar) club racing. I have no idea what I'm doing though. I can drive, but tuning the car is an unknown to me, I'd like to tune out the tail happy action the car has over rough uneven ground, for instance. I think I need to soften the rear but not sure what is the best way.

I have gathered: a couple packs, an SPC and a SMC 4s, support tools, diff oils, shock oils, some parts.

I am adding a better esc and servo that is up to the task, because the stock stuff is okay, it isn't up to what it needs to be for the track.

I will likely post more here when I learn something, or break something.
lolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:15 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Still tinkering with my Typhon. Slowly making it better. I have gathered a few more spare parts. No need to change out the stock 7-10-7 yet because I have had no actual track time to see how that runs.

I have a Savox servo in it now, and just got in a Sanwa MX-V system to get the EPA, subtrims, and expo that are really needed to help set up for track running.

This is next, just got it wired up last night.

Arrma Typhon | TLR SCT 22 2.0

Last edited by lolagt; 03-20-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Default BAD AZZ

Bought one of these a few days ago.

First run on 6S, literally 5 minutes after unboxing, and one of the rear tires exploded into chunks in the parking lot.

No big deal, I bought extra wheels/tires - and Arrma sent me 2 newbies at no cost.

This buggy is legit. I have been running it on my small track at home, (3S, as running on 6 is just too much for me and my track) and it shreds. Sounds really cool for an electric. I've cartwheeled this thing over 30+ feet after a jump gone wrong and nothing wrong....it just keeps on tickin'.

Making not a SINGLE adjustment out of the box, it handles like it's on rails around my track, which consists of a long "driftable" sweeper that is usually really loose, and fairly sticky dirt else where with a number of 180 turns and a "S" curve that usually throws most off their game.

It does tend to nose dive a bit off larger hits, but that may be operator error...

The shocks look like they will hold up well, no flaking on the gears, just a really nice, entry level buggy.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase....
2stroketim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #22
Tech Adept

There are a few pics of shredded tires from people running 6s in these buggies. Proline badlands, expensive street tires.

The tires that come with it are DBoots, which aren't bad.

6s in this car must be brutal, 4s is eye poppingly quick to me. My back yard is a couple city lots(big), and it eats that up in an alarmingly fast couple seconds.

Last edited by lolagt; 03-24-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

6s shredded the stock DBoots - ripped them in half within 3 seconds.

It was actually pretty cool
2stroketim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

What other bodys will fit the buggy anybody know.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #25
Tech Adept

I have read every Typhon thread or discussion on the net, no other body made specifically for it that I recall.

I think the stock body is gorgeous myself, though it isn't as great of a fit as it should be in the steering servo area(rubs).
I would guess the DEX8 body would fit, but one would have to change the body post config at the back. That should be possible since almost everything but the sliding center diff set up is a direct swap(Team Durango is Arrma, both under the Hobbico umbrella). If one likes the forward cab style that is so popular right now. I don't know for sure though, no one has done it and showed it to work that I know of.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Will the durango or mugen rear shock tower work
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Will the durango or mugen rear shock tower work
DEX8 towers, front and rear arms, C hubs, pillow ball hubs, and anti-roll bar sets are a direct swap.

The car(TD and Arrma) front and back seems to be a copy of the Mugen 6-7. Those parts are a direct swap also, reportedly.
It is why the car is so planted out of the box, I guess. No sense trying to change a great design.

------------------------------------------
I am finally all set for practice days at my track. Have the MX-V set up, the rx was too big for the rx box though, had to do some dremel work inside of it, still barely made it. RX8 G2 is in there, it is awesome.

Last edited by lolagt; 03-28-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

New typhon owner here, I've had it a week and I really like it...quick buggy for sure !!
weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #29
Tech Adept

I have been to the track. Race Em RC in Rockford IL. Indoor hard high bite clay.
The track is brutal, concrete highway dividers all around it, long spikes holding down the track barriers. I saw other cars land on those spikes and it usually meant a tear down for arm replacement.
Brand newb to this thing, it is like my first coloring book, staying inside the lines is a challenge, it looked so easy watching others do it, too.

Anyway, many flips and flops, extended cartwheels I thought would never end(I thought my whole car was a spring at times). Landed on those spikes, hit the concrete once but not too bad. Some impacts were loud. I thought it was over several times, but they picked it up and looked it over and dropped her back and off I went.
Nothing broken, my pride was bruised, but I was very happy with the car.
Very quick, I could make the triple with just a few feet to run at it. The car flew beautifully when I did it right. I had several moments of brilliance where I'd hit the triple, hairpin, nailed down the front short into a double then another double, and a single on to the back straight, beautiful! Then while I was mentally screaming and patting myself on the back I'd crash right off after that.

The motor is good, no one was pulling me down the straight and it was spinning those Dboots so much they were squealing(Everyone enjoyed my squealing tires). They were doing a lot of sliding and most of my barrier contact was because the car just wouldn't turn coming out on throttle. I now have some AKA clay type tires for next time along with some sauce(I'm learning), should be better.

My MX-V was much better than I thought it would be(very short wheel lock to lock on the tx).
The RX8G2 was great, the kyosho gel pad holding it down wasn't. I brought my hotwire and laptop, turned off the drag brake, which cut down on the endos a bunch.

I have redone my ESC tray so the ESC won't ever flop again, and rubber mounted the tray itself also.

Anyway, I plan on going back tomorrow.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've only been to my local track once with my typhoon, and when I told the owner what car I was runnin, he sort of shrugged his shoulders and didn't say much. I guess you have to be running the $1000 kits to be one of the cool kids
weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote