R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What's a good clutch for a MP777?

I just got a used MP777 and need a suggestion on what clutch setup I should buy. So far I've seen clutch setups by Fioroni, Werks, Racers Edge, the stock Ofna clutches, and of course the stock Kyosho MP777 clutch. Don't know what clutch is the best for the money. I'm on a budget, too, so I don't need the best that money can buy. I'll also need a clutch bell. What's a good tooth number to start with?

Let me know what you all think! Thanks!
SeattleRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

werks racing power clutch is pretty good, but that set up will run you $70.

I would run mugen black shoes (carbon) with .9mm springs. I would pick up other springs too, 1mm and 1.1mm to tailor the clutch to your driving style and the engines powerband.

Stick with a 13t clutchbell, this will work on every track you encounter.

You could run the white shoes if you want the clutch to engage harder, but stick with the black shoe though, they will give you the best wear, play with the springs.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Thanks for the advice ospower! Can you suggest a cheaper alternative to the Werks Power Clutch?

Anyone else want to give some advice??
Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I use a set of duratrax carbon shoes on my K3 with mugen 1.0 springs. It works great and is readily available and cheap enough. The duratrax shoes you have to dremel the slot in the middle so it's not off to one side. And the mugen springs you have to dremel like 1/16 off the length of the straight leg. Takes about ten minutes to do all the work.

It hooked up great for me. I was using all aluminum shoes but got tired of the maintenance that goes with them. You need to take em off and clean the flashing after every day. And the middle groove needs filed on the edges so the flashing doesn't bind up the spring.

I didn't liket he 1.1 springs, but that was with my aluminum shoes which were near worn out. Had to give way to much throttle before they would engage. They would probably be ok with new shoes that had more mass to them as they'd open up sooner.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRCer
Thanks for the advice ospower! Can you suggest a cheaper alternative to the Werks Power Clutch?

Anyone else want to give some advice??
What I meant was to use the stock 3 shoe flywheel, with the mugen springs and shoes.

The power clutch comes with everything and uses a unique flywheel and clutch assembly. check it out werksracing.com
Old 08-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Anyone know about the super cheap Racers Edge clutch??

Check it out here:
http://www.racers-edge.com/store/cus...cat=445&page=1

I'm also thinking about buying a used Fioroni Turbo Sliding Clutch. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't see the need for any of the fancy expensive clutches. The one you linked to would be good if they were carbon shoes. If aluminum still be good but more maintenance. Those springs probably give you some trouble as the leg on the K car clutches come more straight down. The angled ones are a pain to put on and I think probably add more tension when you get them bent where they need to be.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

Use the Kyosho flywheel, Kyosho Carbon shoes, Kyosho 1.0 springs, and Kyosho Clutch bell. It will outlast any aluminum setup and the engagement is very good. You can trimm 1-2mm off the tips of the shoes if you need the clutch to hit harder.

The Mugen black shoes slip. I would avoid them. They also will not fit the Kyosho flywheel quite right.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc
Use the Kyosho flywheel, Kyosho Carbon shoes, Kyosho 1.0 springs, and Kyosho Clutch bell. It will outlast any aluminum setup and the engagement is very good. You can trimm 1-2mm off the tips of the shoes if you need the clutch to hit harder.

The Mugen black shoes slip. I would avoid them. They also will not fit the Kyosho flywheel quite right.

best advice you could get, probably coming from a fellow kyosho driver. I agree that the aluminum shoes aren't worth the hassle.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
Tech Addict

IMO you can not beat the Fioroni Turbo Sliding Clutch. You can buy the whole setup for just over 50.00. It is buy far the easiest clutch to work on. I have put as much as 5 gallons on a single set of shoes. It is also very easy to tune and they offer carbon & teflon shoes. My first clutch was the Fioroni sliding clutch. After that I have tried just about every clutch setup that is out their and found my self back with the newer Fioroni Turbo Sliding Clutch.

Bump
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Thanks again for everyone's input! If I do get the standard 3-shoe clutch (as opposed to the Fioroni or Werks which are totally different), is it worthwhile spending $10 for one of those nifty clutch tools that supposedly make the clutch so much easier to work on?

Anyone have a used clutch setup in great condition they might want to sell?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
Tech Addict

I was looking on eBay and a new Kyosho 777 clutch setup cost $50 or $60 + shipping! If I were to buy new, it seems like I might as well get a Werks clutch for the same price. I'd rather spend quite a bit less and just get a good condition used setup. I saw a few used ones for sell on eBay as well, but I thought I'd see if you guys had anything you're looking to sell.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Thanks SpeedBump57. I was hoping for some input on the Fioroni clutch because I'm thinking about buying a used one that someone has up for sale. Anyone else have thoughts on the Fioroni clutch vs. Kyosho clutch if I can get the Fioroni for a good price?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
Tech Addict

I have tried the Werks clutch as well. I felt the clutch was a great idea and worked very well. But I had a problem with it. No matter how I fastened the adj nut I could not for the life of me keep it where I set it and beilive me I tried everything! I must have gotten a bad one because I know some that don't have this problem but I also know some that do. I think if I could have keeped the nut in it's place it would have been one of the better clutch setups I have used and like the sliding clutch very bearing freindly.

Bump
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

So your used 777 did not come with a flywheel or any clutch parts?
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote