Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How long until mid motor takes over. >

How long until mid motor takes over.

How long until mid motor takes over.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Snyder
Chris I agree set up is very driver dependent...But in general I personally find that MM cars seem to have a narrower set up window vs comparable RM cars.
i agree on that, its not like the b4, one setup the rule them all...

mid motor takes setup changes for track changes, mostly so far im still changing oils and ballstud washers depending on the track layout.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only thing I'm worried about is weight... With that said I know carbon fibre will get the weight down because I mainly run stock, just hope they are cheaper than current prices. All I gotta do is get the conversion too.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Snyder
MM is here to stay....but RM vs MM is more of a tuning option or driver preference issue for most club racers in my opinion..

and lets not forget yes Joe Pillars is a team manager.....but the guy is a wheel !!

He was a racer first and is now a team manager.....
I totally took into account how good of a racer JP is when I wrote the article. I have been around and raced with him enough to know when it was JP and when it was the car. A2 was interesting because he was in 2nd after a mistake. You could see where it was a struggle and where it was amazing. The thing is that Joe doesn't get to race very often and he hasn't raced on this track all year, and came out and tq'd over some very good competition running rear motor. It was an eye opener for a lot of us.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

After running MM 22's when nobody else did, now on to RM B5's, I like the RM better. I have driven multiple MMb5's and feel the RM is a better car for stock or super stock.not because of weight, but more about handling manners. MM is a fad and will fade just like short course did. Not to say it will go away(because short course is still generally popular), but won't be as popular as it is now. There are many guys out there that copy and paste setups and since the pros are running MM, that is their choice too. Drivers style plays all the cards. Some drive better RM everywhere, some not. I choose RM for all my cars and trucks now because it is more forgiving when setup is required. There is a reason guys are adding a lot of weight to the rear of a MM car. Pendulum effect isn't all bad.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

While I see your point with rear motor, even the new B5 is getting closer to MM weight bias. Look at where the battery placement is now compared to the b4. A car is all about balance and I think people like rear motor because that is what they have always ran. Change takes time.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I have to say my rm is just as fast on the same conditions as my mm. However it takes a little more driving to get the rm that fast where the mm seems effortless. I dont think its a fad like SC because its not a new class of rc but more of a tuning option for 2wd buggy. I dont have much if any experience with other mm platforms but the one I drive can run on any condition,its a beast. I still break out the rm regularly to keep the set up on point but when the tone sounds its all mm.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My son and I are extremely new to RCs and racing. Less then two years in the hobby, started off with short course trucks used to laugh at the buggies and now would both prefer to run buggies. A couple things that stand out to me about this debate:

1- how fast mid motor took off, 2013 reedy race lots of RM even though the 22 and RB6 were out. 2014 there was what one RM(Ryan Lutz) for 2 rounds.

2- how easy a mm car is to drive, I went from a pretty decent set up B4.2 to a mm RB6 that I didn't even set up, and was not set up for my track and ran my personal best laps the first time out.

On a different note, comparing a B5 to a mm 22 couldn't be more of a apples to oranges comparison. I drove Snyders B5 and that thing almost drove itself, my son had a 22 and we tried everything short of 100 dollars in brass to get it to work. The 22 is most definitely a rm car that can "made" a mm car. Of course it's my opinion but I am really surprised that the TLR drivers do so well with that platform in mm.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

To me the whole mm vs rm is more track relavent than anything. .most of our indoor tracks are mid to high traction smooth clay tracks..this is where a mid motor car has an advantage..
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
To me the whole mm vs rm is more track relavent than anything. .most of our indoor tracks are mid to high traction smooth clay tracks..this is where a mid motor car has an advantage..
Not 100% true anymore. The mm dedicated cars work just as good on low bite tracks too.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

In my opinion it more comes down more to the track layout, than surface condition. Toss in some super tight 180s with tiny run-ups to larger jumps, and the RM cars will produce better lap times. Open the track up with larger more sweeping kind of turns, and the MM cars will produce better lap times. I think the track designers will start tailoring their layouts to fit their racer base.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
In my opinion it more comes down more to the track layout, than surface condition. Toss in some super tight 180s with tiny run-ups to larger jumps, and the RM cars will produce better lap times. Open the track up with larger more sweeping kind of turns, and the MM cars will produce better lap times. I think the track designers will start tailoring their layouts to fit their racer base.
One of our better racers was experiencing this last Friday night. He has been running a B5 and just switched over to a B5m, he was me tio if that he was having trouble making a certain jump. We have a modified dragon back jump that shoots you right into a short landing, 90* left into a double and he was having trouble making the double, I shouldn't say trouble but mentioned that his car wasn't making it the same as his B5, in this particular section a rm makes that area a little easier.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

maybe it's a dumb question but do you think MM is as profitable in SCT? I mean even in loose/dusty conditions ?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Absolutely. We had a small indoor, medium traction track with several hairpins and difficult jumps right after where RM was just as fast, if not faster, than any MM car. At our local outdoor tracks it's just up to driver preference.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

That im not sure but the same day someone with a mid motor stadium truck tq'd over a whole bunch or rear motor and all the drivers are the same skill set. I think we are just scratching the surface on what a mid motor can do.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

This is a good topic. From my point of view, an expert driver doing well with MM doesn't translate to the end of RM. Experts can usually drive everything well. When I see the average Joe racer do better with MM, then you really have my attention. I have yet to try it out, but I'm very curious. I have a 22 2.0 and I just might convert it to MM and give it a shot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.