Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is there a trick to mounting tires on reused rims? >

Is there a trick to mounting tires on reused rims?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a trick to mounting tires on reused rims?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Is there a trick to mounting tires on reused rims?

I have been reusing my old rims by placing the in a bucket and letting the fumes from acetone unglue the tires. Recently, two pairs of new tires on reused rims came un glued badly. I sanded the rims to remove the old glue, cleaned the bead of the tire and rim with alcohol and glued with tire bands. Using the same glue (proline pro bond) and same techniques on new tires and new rims (minus the sanding) I had no issues. Is there a reason the glue wont stick to reused rims as well? Do I need to do something else?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to have some problems with this , and just started leaving the wheels out of the acetone for an extra day and running them through the dishwasher before I glued them up . My theory was the acetone fumes had impregnated some of the plastic and was causing problems. It seems to help.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I was thinking around the same lines. My rims had been sitting out for a while before I glued them.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

i put my old rim on a bolt and then i insert the bolt in a drill. i let the rim spin quiet fast and sand them down with 800 grid sand paper.
aim is to have a nice clean surface
Old 06-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
I used to have some problems with this , and just started leaving the wheels out of the acetone for an extra day and running them through the dishwasher before I glued them up . My theory was the acetone fumes had impregnated some of the plastic and was causing problems. It seems to help.
i've left wheels in acetone for upto a week, but like you, i wash them with warm soap and water after they dry from the acetone bath (probably 1/2 hour max). i don't put them in the dishwasher, i just use warm water, soap, and a toothbrush.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by wittyname
Only problem is not cleaning the rim by rinsing in fresh acetone after the soaking.

You don't even have to rinse if you like to scub with a brush & soap.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Only problem is not cleaning the rim by rinsing in fresh acetone after the soaking.

You don't even have to rinse if you like to scub with a brush & soap.
Exactly. Eventually your acetone can will have a white layer of CA goo floating in it, coating everything in there.

After pulling the tire off, you have to reclean the wheel with clean acetone on a paper towel. I also rough up the bead with a dremel sanding wheel.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Tech Legend

Plus 1 Zero
Have two paint cans ..

One for soak

Other for rinse..

Rinse gets dirty & goes into soak can .
Replace rinse with fresh acetone.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been reusing my rims for many many years...

I cut the tire and leave only the bead on the wheel, then throw them in a container filled with Acetone. The time if takes Acetone to dissolve the CA depends on how long they have been glued, and how easily the Acetone can reach the glue. My standard is to leave them in their at least overnight or longer.. the longer you leave them in there, the less you'll have anything to clean off the rim.

After I take them out of the Acetone, I just let them air out. Acetone evaporates, but I don't usually use the wheels immediately. Maybe a week or longer later.

Water will help to displace any Acetone still left in the plastic too, and speed it up.

The old method was boiling, which left you having to cleaning the glue off the rim before you could use it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd think boiling the rim after its been cleaned with acetone then cooling on a flat surface will get all the acetone out of the plastic and good to go once its dry and cooled down.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I think Cherry is right. I have several containers that I use to acetone off tires and sometimes I just pull the rims out, wipe them down, and then put new tires on. I'm pretty good about keeping the acetone fresh. I use to wire wheel the mounting surface of the rims as well but it didn't seem to make a difference. I know a lot of guys are going to have something to say about this but I use Gorilla super glue from Lowes on my tires and it works great. I use the Gorilla glue because I found that a lot of the conventional tire glues, which tend to be really thin, dry too fast.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is no trick to doing it and ive never had any issues re-gluing tyres.

I'm not sure why people keen opting for the fumes method as it just takes longer and does a poorer job.
I have been putting wheels (tyres cut off until only the bead remains, foams removed) in acetones baths for over a year. Replacing the acetone every 3 months or so when its really dark with off glue.
Put them in, leave them for a day or 2, take them out and wash with some soapy water. If you use a scrubbing brush you are also cleaning the dirt off them too.. Let it dry out and then put a new tyre on.

Never had a wheel go bad or been unable to glue a new tyre onto it.