R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Uprades for XXXT RTR

What are the main uprades i should do before i attempt to race this truck and what is likely to break?

What equipment will i need ie spares, tools etc to take to the track for a race day.

Any info much appreciated.

syconate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dynamite makes decent quality and fairly inexpensive tools. You're looking for standard, not metric for the Losi's.

Arms are always a good thing to have. A set of fronts and rears, and some hubs and spindle carriers. Rear hubs and front spindle carriers are what I have seen break the most. Also having some spare ball cups would be good. They tend to pop off after a few hard hit's.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Tech Adept

My fist upgrade was titanium tie rods. That was everyone's suggestion to me. If you go with the lunsford tie rods, dump the losi ball cups and get the rpm ball cups. The losi cups strip very easily. A-arms would be a close second. Kind of a toss up for me. If you're hitting walls or pipes often, or lading the jumps pretty hard, get the titanium tie rods. It'll save them from getting bent. The stock steel ones bend somewhat easily. Get the a-arms after your driving gets a little better. Hitting walls and pipes and such are bad for graphite parts. They are stiff anf therefore break a little easier that the plastic parts. The plastic gives some and won't break as easy. After upgrading those parts, it's up to you. I've upgraded everything to graphite except the shock towers. Becareful if you upgrade the chassis. It becomes a different truck at that point. The flex is gone and it will handle completely different. You'll almost have to learn how to drive it all over again. Just speaking from experience.

Hobbico and Dynamite have great tools for the price.

Spare parts depends on the track. If your track offers a well stocked hobby shop, then there's no real need to have a bunch of spare parts. If not, then stock up on what Socttmisifts recommended. Make sure you also get some extra screws or just buy a kit from RC Screwz. I also have see the plastic shock ends with the pivot balls break. Might want to get a set of those. Also, e-clips.

I hope you enjoy your truck. I know I've enjoyed mine. I've had it for almost two years now and it's still highly competive. Even against the MF2's and T4's of the class.

Good luck,
briansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 AM   #4
Tech Initiate
Default Good advice

Thanks guys for your advice. It is hard to get good advice from hobby shops because unless you are after top line gear and serious racing they kinda fob you off or if you look like a sucker they load you up with things you don't need.
syconate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to basementLOSI
Default Practice is more important than equipment.

What you will find out over time is that practicing and being a better driver are far more successful than having the best equipment out there.

I have had my XXX-T RTR for 2 1/2 years now, and have begun to master it. I only have a number of upgrades, and I am one of the top forces at the track.

Your main goal before racing will be to strenghten weak parts and to accumulate spare parts. Some of the most important upgrades, spares, and other products you can have are listed below:
  • Titanium tie-rods (Lunsford is the company)
  • RPM Ball Cups (they hold better than the stock ones)
  • Spare front A-arms (normally the number one part to break)
  • Hex drivers (Hudy puts out a great product, but there are others such as Integy, Trinity, and Dynamite to name a few)
  • Nut drivers (numerous companies exist, but agian, Hudy puts out a stellar product)
  • Mediocre batteries (atleast); you can get some GP3300s in varying voltages and runtimes
  • A motor and a spare (I would suggest staring with a 27 turn stock); if you decide, I can go into detail on motors
basementLOSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:54 PM   #6
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syconate
What are the main uprades i should do before i attempt to race this truck and what is likely to break?

What equipment will i need ie spares, tools etc to take to the track for a race day.

Any info much appreciated.

The XXXT RTR is really a very good truck and doesn't really need any upgrades.The most important things to get are a motor that is appropriate for the class that is being run at your track,and a set of the tires that work at your track.Get the tires first.Later on you may want to put a better servo in it.The Lunsford turnbuckles are bling-bling but really don't make any difference,esp for the money.The RTR II truck comes with bigger dia.steel ones that are stronger.The RPM ballcups aren't really any better than the Losi ones,they're just different-either is fine.If you do get them make sure and get the right ones-the "normal" ones won't work with the stock RTR II turnbuckles-you need the ones for the oversize tie-rods for T-Maxx's and such(threads are larger diameter).

Why spend $35 on tie rods,and $40 on threaded shock bodies or something when you can buy perfectly good used MF1's for $100 that have all that and more? Spend smart.

Spares to take with you-
set of arms
couple hingepins & clips
shock ends
some screws and wheel nuts

Essential toolbox items-
very small flathead screwdriver
needle nose pliers
a little scrap if fine sandpaper
old tooth brush
Q-tips(cotton swabs)
light oil(3-in-1,WD40,Marvel Mystery Oil,ect)
small brush for cleaning tires
a small rag and a big one,or a towel
something to set the car on-a block of wood,coffee can,ect.
a good set of drivers is really nice but allen wrenches will get the job done
the first tool I would spend any real money on is a cheap temp gun(they're about $30 here) It will pay for itself with the first motor you DON'T burn up.

Remember the best upgrade you can have are PRACTICE and LEARNING.They are cheap,and fit every car. And don't forget to have fun!
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote