1983 The Frog

Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Wow, I agree shelf queens are worthless. But this things as old as me! Id imagine the plastics brittle as its decades old. If you wanna run a buggy, I would rebuild, clean and resell to collector and buy something a bit more up to date. Or I would probably just keep it brushed and vintage and run it easily in the driveway or street. Its yours so ultimatly you can do whatever you want! But great find!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm rebuilding one of these at the moment.

Waiting on a few parts, but will be rebuilt as vintage correct and then off loaded.

Such a simple car, they are a hoot to drive.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Whelp, so now I'll definitely need to replace the receiver...
I fixed the steering issue, then after playing around with it for a little while, I set my radio down for a second on what I thought was a secure, flat surface.
Turn out it wasn't. my radio slid off, and fell onto the face, smashing in the right stick. I opened it up to try to fix it, and a bunch of broken plastic fell out
Old 05-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just get a Flysky GT3B. It's only $35. I use it with my vintage cars. It's far and away better than any older system.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dynikus
I think it's a bit sad to have a car as a shelf queen
Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Wow, I agree shelf queens are worthless.

My 1988 JRX2 doesn't think so! It looks gorgeous sitting on the shelf! (used for the cover of vintagelosi). I have a lot of pride owning a mint condition piece of RC history. Maybe if you could only own ONE rc car, yeah... you would certainly run it. But I can own as many as I want. There is nothing wrong with shelf queening one, and running another.

http://vintagelosi.com/Main.html

If I wanted to actually RUN a JRX2 in a vintage class, I would buy a used car, and build it up for the track, and keep the mint/never run one on the shelf. The originals will do nothing but get more and more scarce as people run and wear them.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand people that would shelf a vintage rc car, and that's totally fine. I'm just not the kind of guy that has an interest in doing so.
If anyone wants to trade a newer buggy for it, I would gladly do so. I haven't done anything to it yet other than order a set of tires, and the new cvd. I just want to have some fun in the dirt instead of on road like I'm used to.

Edit: Oh, and there's the radio.
But after looking at it better I might be able to fix it still. I'll find out after work
Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

whelp, the radio is definitely a write off, unfortunately :/
I'm not going to do anything too crazy with the frog, so I just ordered the tires, CVD, bearings, esc, servo, and spare receiver for my fs gt2, and I'm going to use my brushed m05 kit motor in it.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Great price and find. I remember as a kid drooling over these Tamiya buggies The Fox, Frog, Grasshopper, Subaru Brat, Sand Scorcher etc. of course I could not afford any of them. I have a few of these originals now and they are shelf queens in mint condition.