Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Turnigy Trackstar 150A 1/8 scale brushless esc? >

Turnigy Trackstar 150A 1/8 scale brushless esc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turnigy Trackstar 150A 1/8 scale brushless esc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Turnigy Trackstar 150A 1/8 scale brushless esc?

Has anybody used this esc before, and whats your opinions on it?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Based on posts at RC-monster the internals are a Mamba Monster clone (even though on the outside it looks like a Tekin clone), but it uses lower quality FETs and an older version internal BEC circuit. Patrick, the president of Castle, was not too happy to find that out, for obvious reasons.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Im thinkin of getting one for my E-Maxx. I say $67 beats $170
Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just got one in on Friday. I put it in a D8 that I converted to brushless. I haven't got to mess with it much, but so far it's great. Sounds just like a Mamba when you turn it on. LOL
Old 03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by K-Note72
Im thinkin of getting one for my E-Maxx. I say $67 beats $170
You might not think that if you ever need customer support or warranty service!

I don't have a problem with cheap/generic Chinese ESCs, they have their place in the hobby. But the Trackstar ESC is a stolen design from Castle and because of that I'd never buy one. Castle does a great job and has put a lot of time and hard work into their stuff, and it kind of sucks to see someone clone and profit from their design.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by simplechamp

I don't have a problem with cheap/generic Chinese ESCs, they have their place in the hobby. But the Trackstar ESC is a stolen design from Castle and because of that I'd never buy one. Castle does a great job and has put a lot of time and hard work into their stuff, and it kind of sucks to see someone clone and profit from their design.
While I do agree with you on that, I also admit that I'd rather pay $67 than $170 for something whose materials cost less than $30.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

While I do agree with you on that, I also admit that I'd rather pay $67 than $170 for something whose materials cost less than $30.
LMAO.. So true and I do agree with you.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by simplechamp

Got any evidence, or is this just another internet-bred rumor? I'd like to see somebody crack one open and compare. I'm not trying to call B.S. because I really don't know. I have a Castle MM ESC, and might pick up a track star for another car. If I do, I'll be happy to crack them open. I still have to fix the fan on my MM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TAT76
LMAO.. So true and I do agree with you.
The materials may cost $30 or whatever, but there is also research and development that goes into a product that doesn't have a material cost in the end product.

Think of a writer that writes a book that takes years of research, and then when it finally comes out some other guy copies all the words and then sells his own book for cost of materials + 10% or something. It ain't right.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Got any evidence, or is this just another internet-bred rumor? I'd like to see somebody crack one open and compare. I'm not trying to call B.S. because I really don't know. I have a Castle MM ESC, and might pick up a track star for another car. If I do, I'll be happy to crack them open. I still have to fix the fan on my MM.
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28583

The thread was started about the Toro ESC, but the Trackstar is the same just badged for HK. On page 4 Patrick from Castle chimes in with his $0.02 explaining the cloned design, and lower quality BEC and MOSFETs.

IMO a lot of the value of a Castle product isn't the ESC or motor itself but the warranty and support that come with it. You don't get that with the Trackstar.

Last edited by simplechamp; 03-21-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I think with all HK stuff you have to buy it with the assumption that there is no warranty. I've tried these, the construction feels cheap, and they won't calibrate with a lot of radio's (Deadband issue, on Castle ESC's you can adjust that setting to get it to calibrate, on this one you can't.) But calibration etc is all Castle type, obviously a clone. BEC is fairly weak, struggles with a high load servo. Has a rather large footprint as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I paid $129 for my Monster Max from bishop power products, only a little more than the cheap Trackstar knockoff. I'd rather buy from Castle and have them stay in business and continue making great products. They may not make the motors here in the states, but their ESC's are. To me its an American company, we need definately need more like this.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SC8E
The materials may cost $30 or whatever, but there is also research and development that goes into a product that doesn't have a material cost in the end product.

Think of a writer that writes a book that takes years of research, and then when it finally comes out some other guy copies all the words and then sells his own book for cost of materials + 10% or something. It ain't right.
This is sort of like the debate over the world's fastest streetlegal supercars, the Bugatti Veyron & the SSC Ultimate Aero. The Bugatti, costing over $2.6 million (world's most expensive car too), is acclaimed to be the peak of engineering "brilliance" with its W16 engine and great luxury to boot. Some time ago it was beat by the SSC UA, costing a mere $65Grand, which uses a less-innovative design of standard supercar luxury & powered by a simple GM pushrod V8. Veyron fans HATED the UA & made many negative remarks about it, but many of those remarks are opinion-only or empty accusations, very few based on actual facts (its body style for example). Even being less-innovative, it still achieved the end result that they were both set out to achieve.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hobbipro
I paid $129 for my Monster Max from bishop power products, only a little more than the cheap Trackstar knockoff. I'd rather buy from Castle and have them stay in business and continue making great products. They may not make the motors here in the states, but their ESC's are. To me its an American company, we need definately need more like this.
What all did the $129 cover?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

This is sort of like the debate over the world's fastest streetlegal supercars, the Bugatti Veyron & the SSC Ultimate Aero. The Bugatti, costing over $2.6 million (world's most expensive car too), is acclaimed to be the peak of engineering "brilliance" with its W16 engine and great luxury to boot. Some time ago it was beat by the SSC UA, costing a mere $65Grand, which uses a less-innovative design of standard supercar luxury & powered by a simple GM pushrod V8. Veyron fans HATED the UA & made many negative remarks about it, but many of those remarks are opinion-only or empty accusations, very few based on actual facts (its body style for example). Even being less-innovative, it still achieved the end result that they were both set out to achieve.
That isn't really the same thing.

The SSC company didn't steal/clone the design from Bugatti and market it as their own.

Last edited by simplechamp; 03-21-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.