R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Drivers Etiquette, How to teach your fellow racers without knocking their teeth out

Any ideas? I have this problem at one local track I run at. Mod class is no problem at all(experienced drivers). Stock class is a hack fest, always! Now I know stock is supposed to be an entry level class(not really, thats what novice is for), but come on. The track owner/race director feels he shouldn't reprimand anybody for heavy driving. He has tried in the past and ticked people off so he just doesn't say anything about it. I am at the point where I want to smack sense into these guys that drive like this. Complete whiskey throttle. Obviously these fools have never participated in any type of vehicle racing before. Growing up racing motorcycles I understand the etiquette part.Unfortunately these guys don't and it negatively affects my driving when running in second place and knuckleheads can't control their cars and fly across the pipes head on into me causing me to go from 2nd to 9th. I don't mind losing races, I just hate it when it is not my fault. Given, a couple of these guys can have better lap times than I do, but are extremely inconsistent. I take pride in driving a slower smooth style rather than a pin it till the car goes crazy. I pulled off last night due to frustration when I even called out a few on the drivers stand for this behavior. I don't want to always race at the other track close to my work because the location of this one is a couple miles from home and work is 45 miles away.

So again, please give me some appropriate ideas on teaching these guys proper race behavior before I light one up on the stand or in the parking lot. I don't like to think this way but I feel it is a waste of my time and money when this happens at least half the time. I also like to run both classes to fill the nights a little better, however I am considering only running Mod there now or changing up the nights I race to hit the work location track instead where the drivers seem to give a crap about the others there too.
bambambennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 108 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambambennett View Post
Any ideas? I have this problem at one local track I run at. Mod class is no problem at all(experienced drivers). Stock class is a hack fest, always! Now I know stock is supposed to be an entry level class(not really, thats what novice is for), but come on. The track owner/race director feels he shouldn't reprimand anybody for heavy driving. He has tried in the past and ticked people off so he just doesn't say anything about it. I am at the point where I want to smack sense into these guys that drive like this. Complete whiskey throttle. Obviously these fools have never participated in any type of vehicle racing before. Growing up racing motorcycles I understand the etiquette part.Unfortunately these guys don't and it negatively affects my driving when running in second place and knuckleheads can't control their cars and fly across the pipes head on into me causing me to go from 2nd to 9th. I don't mind losing races, I just hate it when it is not my fault. Given, a couple of these guys can have better lap times than I do, but are extremely inconsistent. I take pride in driving a slower smooth style rather than a pin it till the car goes crazy. I pulled off last night due to frustration when I even called out a few on the drivers stand for this behavior. I don't want to always race at the other track close to my work because the location of this one is a couple miles from home and work is 45 miles away.

So again, please give me some appropriate ideas on teaching these guys proper race behavior before I light one up on the stand or in the parking lot. I don't like to think this way but I feel it is a waste of my time and money when this happens at least half the time. I also like to run both classes to fill the nights a little better, however I am considering only running Mod there now or changing up the nights I race to hit the work location track instead where the drivers seem to give a crap about the others there too.
Just follow them the newer drivers always make a mistake. Take your time with passing them. That or fake them out act like your going one way and dont and then pass them on the other side while their over on the opposite.
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
Just follow them the newer drivers always make a mistake. Take your time with passing them. That or fake them out act like your going one way and dont and then pass them on the other side while their over on the opposite.
Passing is not the issue. The issue is them running thru you in turns(not slowing then accelerating thru the turns) or flying wildly off jumps and crossing the pipes only to come head on into you.
bambambennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For the ones who can't seem to keep it in the right lane, the RD should take care of that, period. For the ones who just crash a lot, drive by em, avoid em, go out of your way to stay out of their way, tell them "sorry you kept hittin me man, I'll try to stay out of your way next time". For some it takes a bit more pointed message, I got hacked by some hotshot factory dude when a bunch of them seattle boys showed up in burlington. After the hack (more than one) I simply drove across the track and took him out. Nothing was said and the rest of the day was cool.
edit: I drove across several lanes of traffic, not recommended and my low point in driving ettiquite.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It's the primary duty of the race director to call people out when there bad/overly aggressive driving is causing problems for other drivers. If your race director refuses to do so, you need a new race director.

Hers---Serpent SRX-2 RM

--ARCR Member--
LaserPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
For the ones who can't seem to keep it in the right lane, the RD should take care of that, period. For the ones who just crash a lot, drive by em, avoid em, go out of your way to stay out of their way, tell them "sorry you kept hittin me man, I'll try to stay out of your way next time". For some it takes a bit more pointed message, I got hacked by some hotshot factory dude when a bunch of them seattle boys showed up in burlington. After the hack (more than one) I simply drove across the track and took him out. Nothing was said and the rest of the day was cool.
edit: I drove across several lanes of traffic, not recommended and my low point in driving ettiquite.

BOO !

You only achieve more bad then what ever they did to you.SMH

Best ?

Just Calm Down
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1evo RRR Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambambennett View Post

(1) GET OUT OF STOCK!
(2) TALK TO THE DIRECTOR, ITS HIS FAULT
(3) See if he would be willing to run resorts after 1st round of quals! that usually seperates the consistent from the rest!
(4) These are tow cars, not worth dying over! fight for your family, not a 5min race in the dirt!
(5) GET OUT OF STOCK!!!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Sounds like a few of the lanes and jumps are too close together if cars are jumping into your path... Probably not much you can do about the layout deficiencies, which appear to be the underlying cause of a lot of your frustration... The only way around that problem would be racing with better racers...

The "drive thru" maneuver is common in all forms of R/C racing - your only defense is to put yourself in better positions that allow you to drive around the offenders, or allow them to remove themselves from the equation before they hit you.

You'll find that as you gain more experience, it'll be easier to avoid these situations, and they'll bother you less. I'm to the point that my overall finishing position on a given night doesn't matter a whole lot; the only thing that truly matters is whether or not my driving and/or my equipment made progress over the course of the day.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Talk it up with the race director. If nothing is fixed in a couple of weeks. I would set aside the stock buggy for a while. It would only cost you money in the long run. From everyone running into each other.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

You cant really teach somebody that its learned over time . Remember club racing is a mixed level of drivers we all started somehow and learned.

Stock class is always going to be mostly new guys or exprienced mod is mostly exprience so its not as bad hacking wise.

As for race directers trying to cut it down or a black flag to somebody it depends on the person directing the racing some dont care some dont catch it . So really just follow the person racing on the track intill they make a mistake .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Also ive seen guys who are even exprience like me sometimes not line up to a jump right and go into the straightaway and have a head on crashs . Its never really on purpose of course .

I always notice that some drivers just wont let of the thorttle enough to line up to a jump right or hit the brake to get the truck or buggy lined up better to the jump. But they learn overtime.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 AM   #12
Tech Champion

be super friendly with them without even talking about their bad driving and do what you can so that they know which car you are driving (mine are flo pink, so it makes it easier )

it works, trust me
Old 05-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Alot of people in this hobby have the "rubbing is racing attitude" but with open wheel cars it's really not, if you rub there is a good chance you will be on your lid waiting to be marshaled, unfortunately there is no convincing the nascar fan-base otherwise...
rcdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Most of what I would say has been said, but something a little out of the box:

Maybe organise a "Driving Tips" session or "Intermediate Tutorial" (call it beginner, no one will show, people tend not to want to call themselves beginners.

Talk a bit about everything, but focus on etiquette; try show that the best drivers go with the "faster is slower" way of thinking, and try impressing on them the importance of not impacting other drivers.

Get a few guys you are well known around the track to do it, people who are recognised and admired, and that the new drivers will listen to; ultimately, they wouldnt be racing unless they wanted to be better drivers, so sell it is a way of making you a faster driver.

Jsut remember it's almost certainly not intentional, so try be patient.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This happens to me a lot in Stock. The only consolation I have to tell myself is "It's the same for everyone" No matter how much hacking in going on, the fast, consistent guys stay fast and consistent.

It's helped me in ways to develop my mindset, peripherals and strategy and try to be more calculating in the heat of a race.

It really does suck tho when they'd rather crash you both than concede the position. Especially if you've just pulled a fair, clean move