R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree26Likes

Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #1276
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Two of us showed up at our indoor track with the T5M yesterday. Both of us broke our stock servo horns within 2 minutes of dropping the trucks on the track. He broke his before completing one lap. I made two full laps before breaking mine.

But neither of us broke another one all day. Who knows. I'll be ordering an aluminum horn this week though.

I thought my setup with stiff springs and fairly thick oil worked pretty well but setting my ride height as low as I want it is causing me a problem. At full droop my springs are too short to fill the space between the perch and the collar. There's about a 5mm gap on the rear shocks and 10mm up front. So when I jump the springs are randomly coming off the perches and sometimes getting hung at odd angles, whacking out my suspension in one corner.

I'm going to replace the two internal spacers with a couple orange o-rings to limit my droop a bit more but that won't solve the problem.

Any suggestions? Should I be looking for some taller springs that will still allow me to get the ride height down low? Or should I try anchoring the springs to the perches with tie straps or even shoe goo?

Thanks,
Chris
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #1277
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Spanky View Post
You wouldn't buy TLR????? So I guess Dustin Evans sweeping every class with his 22s at Motorama, Mayfield putting on a clinic with his Losi at Reedy Nationals and Losi also winning the Cactus Classic was..... luck maybe? Hahahahaha.
This is where you insert your foot in your mouth. Hey well to each there own I guess.... not everybody wants to be a winner
First of all, none of the top tier AE drivers went to Motoroma. They were all at cactus. The TM5 is also brand new and the 22t 2.0 is just a revision of the truck.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #1278
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Try the different offset cups? what ride height are you looking for?

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #1279
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
First of all, none of the top tier AE drivers went to Motoroma. They were all at cactus. The TM5 is also brand new and the 22t 2.0 is just a revision of the truck.
That wasn't Cactus weekend...I think it was Nitro Challenge that the majority of AE guys were at.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #1280
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Two of us showed up at our indoor track with the T5M yesterday. Both of us broke our stock servo horns within 2 minutes of dropping the trucks on the track. He broke his before completing one lap. I made two full laps before breaking mine.

But neither of us broke another one all day. Who knows. I'll be ordering an aluminum horn this week though.

I thought my setup with stiff springs and fairly thick oil worked pretty well but setting my ride height as low as I want it is causing me a problem. At full droop my springs are too short to fill the space between the perch and the collar. There's about a 5mm gap on the rear shocks and 10mm up front. So when I jump the springs are randomly coming off the perches and sometimes getting hung at odd angles, whacking out my suspension in one corner.

I'm going to replace the two internal spacers with a couple orange o-rings to limit my droop a bit more but that won't solve the problem.

Any suggestions? Should I be looking for some taller springs that will still allow me to get the ride height down low? Or should I try anchoring the springs to the perches with tie straps or even shoe goo?

Thanks,
Chris
Are you using the tall spring cups?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #1281
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default spring collar

I use the 9mm spring collars front and rear to keep the springs on the shocks. I just drove my t5m on the track yesterday and broke my servo horn in a couple minutes too. What aluminum horn fits the best?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 AM   #1282
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

The tlr horn works best.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #1283
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iterator View Post
I caught some video of Tacoma RC Raceway local Harley Yoshii and his new T5M, the new kits look awesome!
Harley Yoshii - Team Associated T5M
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Those were some good laps. I would not have the patience for such a tight track. But I bet people there develop good timing/reaction habits.

I loved the rear wheel touch & go on the step down section.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #1284
ISH
Tech Adept

Got my kit on Saturday ran a few packs through it yesterday it is a lot of fun. i was fighting new tires on a indoor clay track. so the rear kept stepping out on me. i built the truck with the 3 gear and running a 7.0T. i keep hearing conflicting thoughts on the 3 gear vs 4 gear. stock/mod anyone have a little more insight on this?
T5M
Team Orion, Nova Rossi, SMC, MIP, Airtronics, KO-PROPO.
ISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #1285
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISH View Post
Got my kit on Saturday ran a few packs through it yesterday it is a lot of fun. i was fighting new tires on a indoor clay track. so the rear kept stepping out on me. i built the truck with the 3 gear and running a 7.0T. i keep hearing conflicting thoughts on the 3 gear vs 4 gear. stock/mod anyone have a little more insight on this?
Pretty easy here. Try both and stick with the one you like. In modified you should be more worried about feel and setup than transmission drag. It sounds lIke tires are more of an issue to you than the transmission, I would recommend figuring that out first.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #1286
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Medium bite, damp (green JC/m4 PL).....indoor...tight.....shorty or squared? Im guessing shorty will do the trick....then I can share packs in my 2 wheelers....that would be ideal.
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #1287
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
Try the different offset cups? what ride height are you looking for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Are you using the tall spring cups?
I built it with the 5mm offset perches right from the start. Unless I'm thinking about it wrong, I don't think I could get down to the ride height I want with the 9mm and the stiffer springs I'm running. My rear collars are already adjusted all the way to the top.

After driving it on our track yesterday, I'm looking for about 21-22mm ride height.

-Chris
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #1288
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
4 Gear will be the standard to use in most situations and when the track is high grip, 3 gear would be an option. 3 gear takes away some mechanical grip and makes the car jump flatter. go back to a 4 gear and setup from there. Maybe go to a 8.5 motor, reduce power a bit.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #1289
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Quote:
Personally switched from 4 gear to 3 gear running 17.5 at OCRC, substantially improved the acceleration. Of course with a 7.5 probably not necessary for this reason. No significant difference in grip noticed for me. Tires are always the first thing to check, at the track I ended up starting with some worn out (slicks) barcodes while the track was wet and slick, changed to normal worn in barcodes once it dried out. New tires always do kill everyone on clay, sounds like what you were experiencing was tire related. I always do the asphalt grand prix with new tires just to take the edge off, seems to help.
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #1290
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseRC View Post
I use the 9mm spring collars front and rear to keep the springs on the shocks. I just drove my t5m on the track yesterday and broke my servo horn in a couple minutes too. What aluminum horn fits the best?
Use the Losi 22 one, it fits perfect just need to tap the hole for the larger ballstud. I broke one one my b5m a couple weeks ago before the main (doh) and immediately changed them all over.
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote