Search
Like Tree108Likes

Team Associated T5M Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turtle Speed
Currently running a 7.5 in my ST and it is good with I think a 20 tooth or 19 tooth pinion. However, that is with an 84 tooth spur! When I was running the 78 tooth spur the motor was getting WAAAAAY to hot because I didn't realize the trucks use the bigger spur unlike the buggy which uses a 78 for mod. I think that you need the bigger spur for the 8.5 but you are possibly right on the border and might be ok! As for the tranny, I think the rear holes line up and you may have to drill the 4 front holes. As for the gearing I would start with a smaller pinion like maybe an 17 tooth and work your way up temping after maybe 10 to 15 laps to see where the temp is and go up or down accordingly. Only saying to start smaller because I had temp issues running the 78!
With 48pitch gears, 1 tooth on the pinion equals 3 teeth on the spur. When going from the 84 to 78, just go 2 teeth smaller on the pinion and you'll have the exact same gear ratio.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls
With 48pitch gears, 1 tooth on the pinion equals 3 teeth on the spur. When going from the 84 to 78, just go 2 teeth smaller on the pinion and you'll have the exact same gear ratio.
Ok, thanks for the the tip! I will have to remember that. Although the ratio is the same, is it the same type of drivetrain response or is one of them better than the other? I would think that it should be!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turtle Speed
Ok, thanks for the the tip! I will have to remember that. Although the ratio is the same, is it the same type of drivetrain response or is one of them better than the other? I would think that it should be!
Same.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

I've moved to a larger outdoor track, hard packed dusty surface running proline calibers front and rear. I do have good steering response but I'm looking for suggestions how I can get better rear traction.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Hey gents,
I've been hearing a lot about running B6 caster blocks, steering blocks, and steering block arms on the T5M. But does anyone know what the preferred steering hat bushing and caster block insert settings? I run the truck mainly on carpet so I'm thinking maybe mimic the B6D kit setting? What do you think?
Also- if I add a lay down transmission, will a square battery pack still fit? I think the truck handles better with a square pack.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BruceR.
Hey gents,
I've been hearing a lot about running B6 caster blocks, steering blocks, and steering block arms on the T5M. But does anyone know what the preferred steering hat bushing and caster block insert settings? I run the truck mainly on carpet so I'm thinking maybe mimic the B6D kit setting? What do you think?
Also- if I add a lay down transmission, will a square battery pack still fit? I think the truck handles better with a square pack.
The problem with using the B6 caster blocks and steering knuckles is that the T5 axle doesn't work correctly. It needs a custom front axle.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

The problem with using the B6 caster blocks and steering knuckles is that the T5 axle doesn't work correctly. It needs a custom front axle.
Wouldn't the B6 axle work? Or would the width of the front be out of spec?
Old 04-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Wouldn't the B6 axle work? Or would the width of the front be out of spec?
Several MM too narrow
Old 04-24-2017, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. You might have just talked me out of some unnecessary spending. I'll just replace the stock steering parts. I'm trying to get rid of some slop in the steering. While I'm at it the rear hubs can stand an upgrade too.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Several MM too narrow
I have the B6 Stuff on my T6 and it works just fine! Yes the B6 steering knuckles/blocks are wider but it is only 2mm. All you need to get is a spacer that is able to make up the difference and serpent sells one that works perfectly in this case and they drop right in with no issues. Schelle makes ackerman plates that are designed to work with the B6 knuckles for the T5 if that makes sense! Shim size needed is 3x5x2 mm by Serpent. The B6 knuckles are basically 2mm wider that the B5/T5! Obviously the shim goes on the inside and you will need a longer screw than that normally used to secure the axle. I think I used a 3x8mm and that seemed to work nicely!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Thanks for the info. You might have just talked me out of some unnecessary spending. I'll just replace the stock steering parts. I'm trying to get rid of some slop in the steering. While I'm at it the rear hubs can stand an upgrade too.
You should try installing the set screws in the suspension blocks first. It really tightens things up.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jon Carlson
You should try installing the set screws in the suspension blocks first. It really tightens things up.
Well I'm going to refresh the caster blocks and hubs to begin with. I haven't done that since I bought the truck and it's time. I plan on putting some CA glue on the inserts and using the set screws too. I have a few more goodies to get; lay down transmission and possibly a square battery pack. Transmission first and then we'll see if the battery is needed. But last night I tried a square pack and thought it helped settle the truck some. Maybe I'll get the chassis weights instead of the square pack. I don't know yet.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I run shorties. That way u can move battery around. I'd rather add weight and move battery then ti be stuck with a square pack. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hellfire
I run shorties. That way u can move battery around. I'd rather add weight and move battery then ti be stuck with a square pack. Just my thoughts.
I run shorties too. Just tried something different. So yeah I might add the chassis weights. Not decided yet. It's a work in progress.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a t5m also the front end had a lot of slop but mine was in new ball cups so my dad got the idea to use the little red shock o rings to tighten them up took away a bunch of the slop front end slop is a lot less and have not had any issues with them being to tight or anything been in the top 3 fastest at our home track week in and week out. Only issue i have had is keeping the front wheels on the ground on the high bite tracks. I had a losi but i could keep it down but never the fast laps like the associated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.