R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree24Likes

Old 12-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #3466
Tech Adept

I'm thinking about a laydown transmission as well. But there's 2 different possibilities. ! is from TND designs, designated B5M 3 Gear Laydown. The other from AC RC Gear, labelled for LCG (B6 Motor Plate). I'm leaning towards the one that uses the B6 motor plate but.....I guess these have run Anders Lind, WWHD, etc. out of business.
BruceR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #3467
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to keepitmovin504

Would anybody happen to have setup tips for a medium grip somewhat dusty track? I'm currently running the kit setup with green springs in the rear, brass C block, aluminum D block, brass weight under a shorty lipo, and 30wt oil all around. Would going to 27.5 oil in the rear help with rear grip? I'm finding that I'm losing a lot of time fighting to keep the rear end pointed the right way.

I've tried using broken in super soft electrons and dirt webs with tire sauce but still the same results.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #3468
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Does the front end steer well enough? Your setup may not be balanced, meaning your front end is overpowering your. I notice that is a common problem. What size track are you running on? Is it a flowing track or tight and technical.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:32 AM   #3469
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
Does the front end steer well enough? Your setup may not be balanced, meaning your front end is overpowering your. I notice that is a common problem. What size track are you running on? Is it a flowing track or tight and technical.
The front end steers well enough in my opinion in fact, I had to turn the steering down a bit in my radio as I had way too much at first. My track is medium sized with only one main technical part. I had one of the faster guys at my track drive the truck and he also commented on the somewhat loose rear. I'll check the balance next.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #3470
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Moving the front shocks in on the tower really tamed my truck. Now that I got it to push I am gonna slowly start moving the shock out on the tower little by little. I would imagine your running the battery pack as far back as possible. But I had a similar problem with my trucks rear end wanting to come around real easily and moving the front shocks around really fixed the loose rear. I've got some great help on this thread so somebody will get your truck straightened out.
racingnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:44 AM   #3471
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Battery all the way back rear hubs all the way forward
eper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:26 AM   #3472
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingnewb View Post
Moving the front shocks in on the tower really tamed my truck. Now that I got it to push I am gonna slowly start moving the shock out on the tower little by little. I would imagine your running the battery pack as far back as possible. But I had a similar problem with my trucks rear end wanting to come around real easily and moving the front shocks around really fixed the loose rear. I've got some great help on this thread so somebody will get your truck straightened out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eper View Post
Battery all the way back rear hubs all the way forward
Made these changes and shaved a full second off of my lap times! The rear end no longer wants to rotate around and the truck is MUCH more stable.

Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to clean up my driving and get more consistent
Old 12-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #3473
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jabroni racing

I run stock set-up, battery middle but i run -1.5camber all the way around, track i run is pretty high bite,run taper pin tires on rear at times with the old school blade style front tires or directional's & never had my truck feel twitchy, but tires are also a lot of the equation
Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #3474
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What is the performance advantage/disadvantage of running the 3mm trailing axle inserts?
"Trail" is something I've never understood. I've seen a few of Brent Thielke's setups and he has run 3mm trail at times. What does it do? Why would you change from the stock 4mm setting?

Thanks
BK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #3475
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71schaeffer View Post
Guys i have a quick question, with this truck if it need some sidebite going through a shicane what do i do? If i add a ballstud shim to the rear i have found that the car acts a little lazy. Im basically using kit setup besides a yellow buggy spring in front and white kit buggy spring in rear. Also i engineered a b6d battery strap to work because why not lol
Any pics of the how you got the B6 battery stap in the T5M. I suspect it wouldn't be all that difficult and there are some B6 aftermarket battery straps that I really like and allow you to really move it around.

Also all is it true that the B6 laydown tranny is a bolt in mod for the T5?????
Turtle Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #3476
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rear hubs all the way forward and front suspension all the way inboard did help settle the rear of the car down and make it much more manageable fwiw.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:11 AM   #3477
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Speed View Post
Any pics of the how you got the B6 battery stap in the T5M. I suspect it wouldn't be all that difficult and there are some B6 aftermarket battery straps that I really like and allow you to really move it around.

Also all is it true that the B6 laydown tranny is a bolt in mod for the T5?????
B5M and T5M use the same tranny. If the B6 won't fit the B5M, it won't fit the t5m either....
blankenj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:25 AM   #3478
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitmovin504 View Post
Made these changes and shaved a full second off of my lap times! The rear end no longer wants to rotate around and the truck is MUCH more stable.

Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to clean up my driving and get more consistent
Really glad I could help u out. Keep having fun. Any other questions I'll be happy to help out if I can.
eper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #3479
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are most people running squares or shorties in this car?
MikeGassRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #3480
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Generally shorties. Then adding weight. I run a shorty and the brass plates under it. I also recently installed the tnd laydown transmission with a yz-2 carpet motor plate. Bolted up just fine without binding. Going tomorrow to try it out on the track.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote