R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree24Likes

Old 09-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #3256
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Like i said go to a heavier oil.... The rear of the chassis is most likely sapping the take off sending the nose down.
DustinEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #3257
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
What reasons do folks go to kyosho or other brand springs, are they longer?
I went with the AE truck springs (SC5M springs). They are longer. You might need to go to 0 offset spring cups to get the proper ride height.
BruceR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #3258
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I just cranked the rear spring collars down as far as they'd go, and it was the first time the truck has even thought about jumping level.. Stock setup. Rough, loamy track, not typical for any setups you see today..

What reasons do folks go to kyosho or other brand springs, are they longer?
When I run outdoor rough and loamy I really did not like the new truck springs. I start with the kit(buggy springs) blue front and white rear. The newer truck springs and Kyosho springs are wound different and do not like the rough.

I stay with gray, blue, yellow front and white or green rear springs.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #3259
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/c...er_Thielke.pdf

This is the setup I have on my truck now, jumps perfect.
Everyone else's trucks jump good on your track? If not it could be the jumps are wack.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #3260
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G the Menace View Post
https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/c...er_Thielke.pdf

This is the setup I have on my truck now, jumps perfect.
Everyone else's trucks jump good on your track? If not it could be the jumps are wack.
Jumps are good, I built em I also run my T4 and T5 back to back and T4 is good. I think it's me just not being used to wrenching on the T5 yet, and definitely not enough experience driving it either.

aeRayls - those are the springs that are on it now. I have the tallest spring cups on, I'm just not used to having to screw a shock collar all the way to the bottom to get the ride height I need.

I'm not bagging on the truck at all. Just getting sorted out and curious about others experience. I'm so used to the T4, been running one since they came out and has taken this long to switch. Mainly b/c I know it's a PIA to get cars setup from scratch (kit setup, to the users liking).

The truck itself is fast! I've not had a vehicle with the amount of steering this thing has, and even with a couple little twerks I'm having it still pulls faster hot laps than my T4 after years running it, and it is after ten minute runs, seconds within my T4 runs, even with freaking nose piling endos at least once a run!

Hope you guys don't mind me writing books like this, so late in the ball game of the T5. I could sort it out on my own, but there's nobody to BS about it with around me. Everybody drives losi around here it seems. Get a losi, copy what Dakota P. does. I don't race where he does though. And last time I bought a losi I sold it before the end of the race day! lol This guy just gotta have ae or nothing CRC 1/12 though, those are ok too

Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #3261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Jumps are good, I built em I also run my T4 and T5 back to back and T4 is good. I think it's me just not being used to wrenching on the T5 yet, and definitely not enough experience driving it either.

aeRayls - those are the springs that are on it now. I have the tallest spring cups on, I'm just not used to having to screw a shock collar all the way to the bottom to get the ride height I need.

I'm not bagging on the truck at all. Just getting sorted out and curious about others experience. I'm so used to the T4, been running one since they came out and has taken this long to switch. Mainly b/c I know it's a PIA to get cars setup from scratch (kit setup, to the users liking).

The truck itself is fast! I've not had a vehicle with the amount of steering this thing has, and even with a couple little twerks I'm having it still pulls faster hot laps than my T4 after years running it, and it is after ten minute runs, seconds within my T4 runs, even with freaking nose piling endos at least once a run!

Hope you guys don't mind me writing books like this, so late in the ball game of the T5. I could sort it out on my own, but there's nobody to BS about it with around me. Everybody drives losi around here it seems. Get a losi, copy what Dakota P. does. I don't race where he does though. And last time I bought a losi I sold it before the end of the race day! lol This guy just gotta have ae or nothing CRC 1/12 though, those are ok too

Try staying in the throttle more. The 4 gear will keep the nose up easily. Typically the t5 has too much steering on the loose tracks, which will rob forward bite. I use the off set caster block bushings and space the the steering block down. I also typically start with 3mm under the front camber link.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #3262
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 517 (100%+)

Well, I just got my GT2 transmission mounted on my T5M chassis. Gas truck T5M baby......
wrightcs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #3263
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
Well, I just got my GT2 transmission mounted on my T5M chassis. Gas truck T5M baby......
Coming to Duluth next weekend?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #3264
Tech Master

I took a hiatus from stadium truck for 6 years and the T5M has exceeded my expectations !
Old 09-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #3265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 517 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G the Menace View Post
Coming to Duluth next weekend?
Unfortunately, no. I wish I could.
wrightcs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #3266
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just picked up a T5M in preparation for the upcoming winter carpet season.

As for setup I have a setup sheet from a local and will use that as a starting point. Still looking at the 3vs4 gear, will probably just start out with 4 gear that's in it.

Lastly(for now) are there any spares that would be 'must have' items? Ran B5M last year and am impressed with the durability. I expect the T to be similar and while I don't want to ruin a weekend with a minor breakage I also don't want to have a huge collection of unused spares.

Last edited by Tbone17; 09-13-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Tbone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #3267
Tech Elite

Ran a bunch of laps today and realized something, that is a problem with myself I will have to correct. The truck is fun as well as fast and aggressive. As I'm ticking off laps it keeps making me want to click off hot laps. I know that's not how to go fast, I've spent all summer running 17.5 and 13.5's practicing consistency and control. But this thing keeps making me want to pull a faster lap! I think it's because it has so much steering and feels so smooth. SO back to a 13.5 and no hot laps.

Unused spares.... my rc room looks like a b4/t4 spare parts warehouse! lol But I never left the track with a broken ride. Neither did anybody around me
Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #3268
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

I saw the GT5M on facebook today, have to say it looks sweet!
thecman26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #3269
Tech Elite

Now you all will probably think I'm crazy, but I've been playing with the truck one change at a time, to a ten minute run.

I've now got the truck feeling very comfortable with basically the stock setup, but 1.7 rear pistons with two additional #55 holes drilled in it. And installed 1.7 pistons up front, and the thing feels just like I was looking for.

I know above I was going to go back to the 13.5, but decided to leave the 10.5 I've started with in it and make the truck comfortable to drive. With the same motor, I feel the lap-times dropping are a result of the setup changes, rather than a motor change.

And honestly, it's not that the lap times have dropped, they've just gotten much more consistent because the truck is comfortable to drive, rather than feeling like a pucker moment waiting to happen at any corner or jump.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #3270
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

I just finished building my t5m kit and looking for suggestions on gearing a 8.5 turn motor, stock spur gear 84t.