R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree30Likes

Old 03-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #2851
Tech Regular

Could be a good way to build up the class outside of the US. It looks like the Yokomo guys are running T5Ms at the Cactus this weekend too.
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #2852
Tech Adept

Hey all,
Just installed the new truck white springs (White (4.10lbs) #91636 White (2.40lbs) #91640) and installed the +5 offset cups.
I have backed the collar all the way up to the shock caps and can't get it under 25mm ride height. I'm trying to set up for off-road carpet racing and would like to lower the truck as much as possible. My concern is that if I use the 0 offset cups, the springs will be too weak on the truck? I'm running 37.5F, 32.5R shock oil. I'm willing to give the +5 offsets a try, but I feel this will make my center of gravity too high? Then again the pros are running 26/25 ride height on high grip clay so going lower than that may be wasted effort?
Anyone have any good tips?
BruceR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #2853
Tech Regular

Changing spring cups has nothing to do with the rate of the spring. All you're doing is allowing for a lower ride height with the same height spring. But you should watch out to make sure you don't lower it too much to the point the spring unseats during down travel, or add limiters inside the shock.
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #2854
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceR. View Post
Hey all,
Just installed the new truck white springs (White (4.10lbs) #91636 White (2.40lbs) #91640) and installed the +5 offset cups.
I have backed the collar all the way up to the shock caps and can't get it under 25mm ride height. I'm trying to set up for off-road carpet racing and would like to lower the truck as much as possible. My concern is that if I use the 0 offset cups, the springs will be too weak on the truck? I'm running 37.5F, 32.5R shock oil. I'm willing to give the +5 offsets a try, but I feel this will make my center of gravity too high? Then again the pros are running 26/25 ride height on high grip clay so going lower than that may be wasted effort?
Use lower offset spring cups. The 5mm cups were for the buggy springs. I would go down to the "middle" offset cups or the flat ones.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:42 AM   #2855
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey all,
Zero offset cups work fine
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated T5M Discussion-img_0013.jpg  

Last edited by Flip boy; 03-15-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Flip boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #2856
Tech Adept

boucher- I was thinking more along the lines of it changing the preload on the springs. I'd probably need to add limiters.

thecman26- Starting point in the manual is 9mm offset, so I've dropped to the 5mm with the new springs.

Flip Boy- good to know. We'll see if I need to use them or not.

I'm going to run it as is to see how she handles. I have a long practice day on Saturday that I can fiddle with settings. My hope is the new springs and heavier oil will keep it from rolling so much.

Last edited by BruceR.; 03-15-2016 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Added a response
Old 03-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #2857
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anybody know if Cavaleri had any new tricks on his setup at the Cactus?
Losi 8TE Castle
Losi 8T Nitro
jsteve5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #2858
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteve5050 View Post
Does anybody know if Cavaleri had any new tricks on his setup at the Cactus?
Laydown transmission for sure.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #2859
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
boucher- I was thinking more along the lines of it changing the preload on the springs. I'd probably need to add limiters.

thecman26- Starting point in the manual is 9mm offset, so I've dropped to the 5mm with the new springs.

Flip Boy- good to know. We'll see if I need to use them or not.

I'm going to run it as is to see how she handles. I have a long practice day on Saturday that I can fiddle with settings. My hope is the new springs and heavier oil will keep it from rolling so much.
Which offset cups you use does not matter. It has the same exact effect as adjusting the threaded collars. It's just a tool to use for different springs and different applications to attain proper ride height.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #2860
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been running a 10.5t lrp x20 motor with a mamba max pro esc. It runs well but the motor runs in the 170 degree range and it's still a bit slow down the long stretch. I'm thinking of going to a 8.5 or 7.5t. Which one would you recommend?
Jimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #2861
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
I've been running a 10.5t lrp x20 motor with a mamba max pro esc. It runs well but the motor runs in the 170 degree range and it's still a bit slow down the long stretch. I'm thinking of going to a 8.5 or 7.5t. Which one would you recommend?
What's your gearing? You could be undergeared.
The LRP motors tend to run a bit warm. What is your timing on the can set?
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #2862
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
Keep your 10.5. Drop a couple teeth off of your pinion, turn down the timing on the motor can and program some boost into your esc.
afm223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #2863
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher View Post
Changing spring cups has nothing to do with the rate of the spring. All you're doing is allowing for a lower ride height with the same height spring. But you should watch out to make sure you don't lower it too much to the point the spring unseats during down travel, or add limiters inside the shock.
Drove it today with the new springs and thicker oil- seemed to work a lot better. I'd like to add limiters, but I can't really find any info on that, other than set up sheets where guys say they used 3 in the front, etc. Are they talking about just adding another spacer (part # 91491)? Is so, do I add spacer, then o-ring too? Or just spacers. For instance, the manual shows o-ring, spacer, o-ring. Would I do o-ring, spacer spacer spacer, o-ring to get 3 limiters? Sorry if this has been answered in the previous 190 pages!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #2864
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Quote:
Drove it today with the new springs and thicker oil- seemed to work a lot better. I'd like to add limiters, but I can't really find any info on that, other than set up sheets where guys say they used 3 in the front, etc. Are they talking about just adding another spacer (part # 91491)? Is so, do I add spacer, then o-ring too? Or just spacers. For instance, the manual shows o-ring, spacer, o-ring. Would I do o-ring, spacer spacer spacer, o-ring to get 3 limiters? Sorry if this has been answered in the previous 190 pages!
The shock limiters go on the shock shaft before you instert the shaft and piston into the body then screw on the shock eyelet....limits the down travel
chris c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:52 AM   #2865
Tech Adept

So just add 'X' number of spacers between the O-rings and I'm good? Anybody have pictures? I'm a visual kinda guy

Thanks for all the good info so far!