R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree33Likes

Old 08-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #2011
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

How are people getting anywhere near the minimum weight? I'm at 1888g with a titanium screws, titanium turnbuckles, slrc lw chassis, battery stop to eliminate foam, justock esc and schuur speed 17.5. Only aluminum is rear c and d pivots. I've seen some pro setup sheets say they are in the high 1700's.
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #2012
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I have never seen anyone break the front of a B5 or T5. That must have been some really hard hits.

Nobody but you can tell you what to get and I would suggest trying to drive someone elses trucks to see what you like better. The TLR is nice because you get a mid or rear option, but to me that is a waste because I dont want a rear motor. IMHO Associated vehicles are easier to drive and tune, as well as easier to drive fast especially if the set up is just a little off. If the set up is a little off on a TLR the car will suck, but if you get it right they are great cars. Everybody I have seen that bought a 22T 2.0 has not been overly thrilled with it.
I've owned both and prefer the t5m but i can tell you my time were almost identical. 22t was better out of the box. The kit setup was near perfect on high bite clay. 22t was about 100g lighter out of the box but again, i was more consistent with the t5m.
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #2013
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for the feed back I'm leaning towards this, but not 100% yet. From looking at pics and instructions, can you use a full size battery in this mounted side ways?
Braxamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #2014
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxamus View Post
Thanks for the feed back I'm leaning towards this, but not 100% yet. From looking at pics and instructions, can you use a full size battery in this mounted side ways?
No, shorty or SQ pack as is.
NeedsHobbyMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #2015
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
How are people getting anywhere near the minimum weight? I'm at 1888g with a titanium screws, titanium turnbuckles, slrc lw chassis, battery stop to eliminate foam, justock esc and schuur speed 17.5. Only aluminum is rear c and d pivots. I've seen some pro setup sheets say they are in the high 1700's.
Battery size has a lot to do with it, 3000mah and less shorty. MIP pucks drop a lot of weight and maybe a lo-profile servo. Schelle slipper is a little lighter than stock. A little here and a little there is all it takes. I've seen people drop a fair bit by moving the speed control behind the battery to shorten the motor wires and run a smaller gauge wire.

Bezerk RC and a few others have a carbon fiber chassis that's nice and lighter than any milled aluminum chassis.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #2016
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im looking to move into stadium truck and considering the 22t 2.0 or the T5m . And will be runing mod only. My question is do you run any extra rear weight on the T5m since it's mm ? Im not the best driver but realy enjoy racing when i get the chance to and just want to get the best truck for me. Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #2017
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtraycer View Post
Im looking to move into stadium truck and considering the 22t 2.0 or the T5m . And will be runing mod only. My question is do you run any extra rear weight on the T5m since it's mm ? Im not the best driver but realy enjoy racing when i get the chance to and just want to get the best truck for me. Thanks in advance
I run the brass C mount but that is all. Plenty of rear traction for mod
JJG690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #2018
Tech Regular

OK going to pull the trigger and buy this today, is there any necessary upgrades I should get not looking for any bling at all just stuff that is absolutely needed, prob. going to be running mod not stock.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #2019
Tech Initiate

If you are leaning toward the T5M, as I have just bought a T5M myself, a couple items I would pick up when you are getting the truck (that didn't come in the team kit I bought anyway):

- Aluminum clamp on hexes - AE created a nice design in the rear CVs, were as the CV pin is retained by the inner bearing in the rear hub. The only drawback is that only thing keeping the stub axle in the hub is outer drive pin, which floats inside the plastic drive hex. While the hex "clips" onto the drive pin, when installing the wheels, it's easy to pop the hex loose, which then drops the pin and allows the stub axle to back out.

Improved Slipper - there is a slipper upgrade that is not too expensive and allows for finer slipper adjustment.

Jake
Freejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #2020
Tech Adept

Quote:
OK going to pull the trigger and buy this today, is there any necessary upgrades I should get not looking for any bling at all just stuff that is absolutely needed, prob. going to be running mod not stock.
As I stated above I would recommend the brass C mount and possibly a schelle or avid slipper. Titanium turnbuckles are always nice as well.
JJG690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #2021
Tech Regular

thanks guys I did go ahead and get the brass C mount. And I seen a couple different hexes listed which ones do I want, got a part number?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #2022
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Quote:
thanks guys I did go ahead and get the brass C mount. And I seen a couple different hexes listed which ones do I want, got a part number?
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/team-as...c71014/p423520

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #2023
Tech Regular

was looking at this ESC with one of their 8.5T motors, will this be ok for this in a mod class or to much.
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=274
Old 08-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #2024
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
was looking at this ESC with one of their 8.5T motors, will this be ok for this in a mod class or to much.
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=274
I am sure that combo will work fine
Old 08-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #2025
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 488 (100%+)

I don't think you need the brass C mount. My truck use to pull huge wheelies when I had a Reedy 8.0 in it. Even with a stock motor I just recently flipped over backwards at the start of a race. I'm pleased with the mods that I've made to mine which include a 3 gear, gear diff, ti axles, ti turnbuckles, aluminum +4 C mount, aluminum D mount, & Kashima coated shocks. I don't think my truck is super light and I haven't seen another stock truck run away from me [with a full pack]. Traction is the least of my problems. My huge barrier to winning is me.