R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree33Likes

Old 05-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #1606
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 488 (100%+)

I run the KO RSX Response. The power is not necessary for anything 1/10 scale other than a 4x4 SC [maybe].

I'm definitely going to try to dial back the esc. An 8.0 might not be too much for the truck but it is way too much for me. I want to learn how to drive it with the mod motor. So far I'm a lap slower but I'm going to work at it. All my other stuff is stock. I kind of feel like I need to learn a little more throttle control. With stock I'm wide open most of the time.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #1607
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Took mine outside today for my first time racing 2wd outdoors. Track was big and bumpy for 10th scale and a little small and bumpy for 8th scale. No change in set up from my indoor set-up, only tires. Took the win against a few T4s and a Losi XXX-T. I love this truck.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #1608
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
Took mine outside today for my first time racing 2wd outdoors. Track was big and bumpy for 10th scale and a little small and bumpy for 8th scale. No change in set up from my indoor set-up, only tires. Took the win against a few T4s and a Losi XXX-T. I love this truck.
Agreed... I put on caliber tires and its very fast on a loomy outdoor track. I actually had to tighten my slipper from running on med/high bite indoor.
Bartman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #1609
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I run the KO RSX Response. The power is not necessary for anything 1/10 scale other than a 4x4 SC [maybe].

I'm definitely going to try to dial back the esc. An 8.0 might not be too much for the truck but it is way too much for me. I want to learn how to drive it with the mod motor. So far I'm a lap slower but I'm going to work at it. All my other stuff is stock. I kind of feel like I need to learn a little more throttle control. With stock I'm wide open most of the time.
I've got a Tekin 10.5 in mine and it's plenty for our indoor carpet track. The can timing is exactly as it came from Tekin and I haven't added any timing with the ESC. I've got my ESC current limit set to 80, if I remember right.

You should be able to tame the motor down using a combination of current/punch limiting, assuming your ESC has it, and backing down the throttle EPA in your radio. I started with both my buggies not feeling much more powerful than a 17.5 and I've been adding a little more power and speed back in as my driving improves. Backing things down made a huge difference for me though.

I'm now running both buggies with the EPA at max and I setup my T5M that way from the start. I'm still limiting the current through the ESC on all three though.

-Chris
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #1610
B44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do Ft hubs work on the t5.
B44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #1611
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B44 View Post
Do Ft hubs work on the t5.
Yup!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #1612
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Did some adjustments for the loose outdoor track. I was needing some initial turn in steering. Per suggestion I stiffened the rear springs and went back to original harder fronts. I also picked up some Panther T550 Micro Rib ST tires. Those two adjustments got me TQ. I ended up 2nd on the day though. A1 I led most of it, made one mistake and battled til the end finishing 2nd. A2, I was taken out on the third corner of the first lap and had to fight to get back up to 2nd. I am just loving this truck.
https://youtu.be/Rg4Jlid5dFo
Steve Aldous
Gigasipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #1613
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigasipke View Post
Did some adjustments for the loose outdoor track. I was needing some initial turn in steering. Per suggestion I stiffened the rear springs and went back to original harder fronts. I also picked up some Panther T550 Micro Rib ST tires. Those two adjustments got me TQ. I ended up 2nd on the day though. A1 I led most of it, made one mistake and battled til the end finishing 2nd. A2, I was taken out on the third corner of the first lap and had to fight to get back up to 2nd. I am just loving this truck.
It is pretty awesome right?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #1614
Tech Champion

Raced my T5M at a big race this last weekend, had a chance to test the X-Gear springs. They are incredible! Too bad they are like $21 a pair! Ended up in second place though! Good times!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #1615
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Raced my T5M at a big race this last weekend, had a chance to test the X-Gear springs. They are incredible! Too bad they are like $21 a pair! Ended up in second place though! Good times!
What springs with you running prior and which K springs did you go with?

I feel I've now got a really nice setup that is working quite well for me and my style (and tracks), and I'm being told the K springs will be like icing on the cake. I know golds are popular for rear, and I've heard as soft as gold up front on up to orange.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #1616
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
What springs with you running prior and which K springs did you go with?

I feel I've now got a really nice setup that is working quite well for me and my style (and tracks), and I'm being told the K springs will be like icing on the cake. I know golds are popular for rear, and I've heard as soft as gold up front on up to orange.

Thanks
Was running Red fronts and Gray rears before
Went to XGS Golds all around
It was amazing!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #1617
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Took my T5M out today for the very first time, and I was very impressed. I am currently running a box stock setup with a Reedy 8.5T, Reedy Black box and Savox 1258. For tires I am running micro ribs in front and holeshots in the rear (outdoor hard packed clay). I was amazed at how hard I could push the truck. It had great corner entry and exit. Almost to good lol. My only issue is the way the truck jumps; it is completely different then what I am use to (rear motor). The truck jumps more level/nose down. Any recommendations to help even it out. It's a different feel than your ass end kicking up causing you to nose down.
mhughesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #1618
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughesjr View Post
Took my T5M out today for the very first time, and I was very impressed. I am currently running a box stock setup with a Reedy 8.5T, Reedy Black box and Savox 1258. For tires I am running micro ribs in front and holeshots in the rear (outdoor hard packed clay). I was amazed at how hard I could push the truck. It had great corner entry and exit. Almost to good lol. My only issue is the way the truck jumps; it is completely different then what I am use to (rear motor). The truck jumps more level/nose down. Any recommendations to help even it out. It's a different feel than your ass end kicking up causing you to nose down.
Its throttle control on a mid motor. May want to check your rear springs or shock setup, possible rear is slapping?
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #1619
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughesjr View Post
How is your ride height? Is the front lower than the rear?
Also using any drag brake?
Is the tranny spinning free?
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #1620
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
How is your ride height? Is the front lower than the rear?
Also using any drag brake?
Is the tranny spinning free?
My front ride height is a little low than my rear by a couple of mm, and my rear cvs are completely level. I do have like 15% drag brake, but don't believe that is the issue as there were a couple jumps I was still on the throttle experimenting, and it still nosed down. My transmission and diff feel really good.
mhughesjr is offline   Reply With Quote