R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree25Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #1561
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 93
Default

Just picked one up last night to add to my growing AE stable.

Couple of questions.
A little info first. I race a very high bite, medium size, fast indoor carpet track
We run a 13.5 ST class which is what I'm building this truck for.
Go to tire at my track are MC Primes.
I currently run a B5M Lite in the stock class..I have this buggy dialed

1. Anyone drop the 3 gear trans in yet, and if so what do you think? Worth it or no?
2. looking for a proven starting point setup wise for my above track conditions
3. Would you run a gear or ball diff and why? I have a gear diff in my B5M now (haven't played with swapping the 2 and comparing lap times...I'll do that at my next practice session)
4. I run the slipper eliminator on the buggy, do you think the larger tires with the 3 gear that would be a bad idea on the ST?

Here's a video of our track and layout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtpQ53p4_pY
NWracer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #1562
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Copy everything you've done setup wise to the truck from your buggy and you'll be just fine.

I've finally gotten to the point rear bite wise outdoors that I want to install the three gear, and will get that done this weekend. I'm probably going to go with another mip setup.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #1563
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Copy everything you've done setup wise to the truck from your buggy and you'll be just fine.

I've finally gotten to the point rear bite wise outdoors that I want to install the three gear, and will get that done this weekend. I'm probably going to go with another mip setup.
I was looking at that MIP trans, worth it?
NWracer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #1564
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 278
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

I was looking at all the parts you can get for these things and man, one could easily go crazy spending a lot of cash!!! I just want to build mine box stock and have fun with it on the track without spending a lot if any cash on mods!
Nissanguy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #1565
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWracer77 View Post
I was looking at that MIP trans, worth it?
Worth it is always subjective. If money is tight, it's not mandatory, it doesn't do anything the AE three gear can't do.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #1566
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 93
Default

Money is not the issue...It's 5.5 grams heavier overall even though the rotating mass is less obviously....how does it feel in the car?
NWracer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #1567
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissanguy8 View Post
I was looking at all the parts you can get for these things and man, one could easily go crazy spending a lot of cash!!! I just want to build mine box stock and have fun with it on the track without spending a lot if any cash on mods!
In stock form the truck is just fine. The alloy/brass C Blick is popular because you can use different inserts to change toe and anti squat.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #1568
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWracer77 View Post
Money is not the issue...It's 5.5 grams heavier overall even though the rotating mass is less obviously....how does it feel in the car?
It's about the same weight as the 4 gear. Which to me I want; I'm also running the brass C block and currently am mainly racing outdoors on a medium bite track.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #1569
Tech Regular
 
VegasHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWracer77 View Post
Just picked one up last night to add to my growing AE stable.

Couple of questions.
A little info first. I race a very high bite, medium size, fast indoor carpet track
We run a 13.5 ST class which is what I'm building this truck for.
Go to tire at my track are MC Primes.
I currently run a B5M Lite in the stock class..I have this buggy dialed

1. Anyone drop the 3 gear trans in yet, and if so what do you think? Worth it or no?
2. looking for a proven starting point setup wise for my above track conditions
3. Would you run a gear or ball diff and why? I have a gear diff in my B5M now (haven't played with swapping the 2 and comparing lap times...I'll do that at my next practice session)
4. I run the slipper eliminator on the buggy, do you think the larger tires with the 3 gear that would be a bad idea on the ST?

Here's a video of our track and layout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtpQ53p4_pY
The AE 3 gear is way cheaper and lighter. Definitely stick with ball diff, lighter than a gear diff for the 13.5 super stock class. There's not a bunch of power being put down so the ball diff handles it just fine and should last a long time if built and broken in correctly.

Just finished the same build with mine. Was looking at doing the MIP puck system, just not sure how well they hold up with the 13.5 super stock. I'd imagine it's fine.
__________________
Don't worry about saving pennies, worry about making dollars.
702rcraceway.com, sponsored by my wallet
VegasHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #1570
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 93
Default

Here's my current buggy setup

NWracer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #1571
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 38
Default Turnbuckle, HD Ball Cap, HD Ball Cap

Does anyone know where to get upgraded Turnbuckle, HD Ball Cap, HD Ball Cap Right for the T5M??
johnathanmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #1572
Super Moderator
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 5,693
Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanmsmith View Post
Does anyone know where to get upgraded Turnbuckle, HD Ball Cap, HD Ball Cap Right for the T5M??
The what? I am assuming you mean Ball cup...

It looks like your question has already been answered via Facebook.
__________________
Thanks to: JConcepts ~ Schelle ~ Kustom RC Graphics

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #1573
Tech Regular
 
moto44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 305
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

My T5M is on its way. I wanted to order a motor for it. The two tracks I run at just have a mod truck class so you can run any size motor. The first track is a small indoor clay track and the 2nd is a med to large dirt indoor track. What motor / RX combo would you guys recommend? Thanks
__________________
Barnstormers Raceway
Critters
________________________
moto44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #1574
Tech Regular
 
VegasHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto44 View Post
My T5M is on its way. I wanted to order a motor for it. The two tracks I run at just have a mod truck class so you can run any size motor. The first track is a small indoor clay track and the 2nd is a med to large dirt indoor track. What motor / RX combo would you guys recommend? Thanks
8.5 and add boost as needed in the speed control. Speed controls around $150-200 are all good for the most part, really just personal preference.
__________________
Don't worry about saving pennies, worry about making dollars.
702rcraceway.com, sponsored by my wallet
VegasHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #1575
Tech Regular
 
Jpdanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: TRCR
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto44 View Post
My T5M is on its way. I wanted to order a motor for it. The two tracks I run at just have a mod truck class so you can run any size motor. The first track is a small indoor clay track and the 2nd is a med to large dirt indoor track. What motor / RX combo would you guys recommend? Thanks
Trackstar 8.5 for around $35 and a Speed Passion Reventon R off of eBay brand new for less than $70. I currently use the SP Rev R and have not been disappointed.
__________________
I buy RC cars for my kids like a man buys a bowling ball with his name on it for his wife.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Datsundriver87
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:21 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net