Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help! Chassis screw damaged - how to recover? >

Help! Chassis screw damaged - how to recover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Chassis screw damaged - how to recover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Amazon will ship them for a logical shipping cost.

Let's make sure though... I need to order an Alden Grabit Pro 3 or 4 piece set - is that right?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have had good luck driving a torx bit into rounded hex screws, you have to be able to support the back side of the screw or what it is screwed into as it requires hammering the bit in the rounded hex, and is not suited for all locations. When you can support the piece sufficiently to drive the bit in with a hammer the screw will come right out after it is "converted" to a torx.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ive use torx drivers to grab a rounded out hex, the torx are a little bigger and can be forced into the round. I would try heating the screw with a slodering iron to break down the locktite and use a torx. You can also get reverse cut drill bits that will unthread the screw as you drill. might also use a dropper with a little acetone to try and break down the loctite just make sure it wont melt the chassis.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

There are a ton of places that sell screw extractors in Europe. Probably at the hardware store down the street from you, they are a very common tool.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...tractor+europe
Old 05-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Instead unscrew the screw try unscrew the battery post. Put the body clip on the post and unscrew it, all it need is break free the loctite. If it didn't work I will use a small drill bit to drill out the screw, don't need to cut it deep just enough to take out the post. You should have about 2mm thread left then heat up the post and use a strong plier to grab the thread to unscrew it.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Heat, lot's of heat. Torch, soldering iron whatever.

I use the super thin easy to break brown ceramic dremel discs. The ones that come in the 50 pack cylinder thing. A little Tag body spray will help the disk grind smooth.

If that fails, drill the head off. When the assembly is off, you can grab the damage screw threads with a set of vise grips.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you guys!

I'll either try the tool or the drill. I will post back.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

One thing that will help is to apply heat to the screw to break down the thread locker compound. Not always an option when plastic is involved like if it is passing through a plastic chassis. All you need to do is heat the screw head with your soldering iron.

After that whatever tool or trick you use to extract it will have less to overcome on the way out.

Also, if it is the last screw in there, and you can get some play in the part the screw is anchored into this can often be enough to make it let go of the bite and back it out without any extreme measures or special tools, you just wiggle the part as you try to back out the damaged screw.

Last edited by lbenton; 05-14-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Before you dremel it, try this. Get one of the sets of drivers that have Torx heads. I have had GREAT success with stripped out allen hexes by worming a torx bit into the hex. Make sure it's firmly in by rocking slightly to seat it and just screw out. Then make sure you toss that screw. Something like below

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-I...4502/100087664

I have a big set something like this, that works everytime
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I removed three stripped screws last night . The drill out method took 5 minutes , the Reverse thread grab it tool took 2 minutes for 2 screws. Love it , worth the 8 $ I dumped on it
Old 05-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Many great tips here!

I'll certainly use heat. It seems the threadlock has become too solid in this one. I got the rest 3 poles out quite easily.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yes the easy out is very common, even in europe, and the most effective. Sometimes they don't work and you drill the head off. start with a small drill bit that is the same diameter as the hex that has rounded and make that hole deeper. Then a medium sized bit, one about the diameter of the bolt shaft. You avoid damaging the chassis at all this way. Just don't do it all at once and overheat the metal and burn the chassis.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Tech Adept

Having a drill handy I opted for the drill process and it worked like a charm. All you need is a 3mm drill bit for metal and 3 minutes time. The head snapped as soon as the drill hit its lower part.

Really easy.

Thank you people for all the great advice on this one.