2wd buggy suggestions/advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2wd buggy suggestions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

If you have to pass up the B5 I'm sure you could find a used 22 2.0 in your price range.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miles514
No offense meant for the TeamC owners but my co racers at our local club always break something on his TeamC buggy. I ran a Cactus and finishing all the qualis and mains in top 5 position with out breaking something. (I replaced the rear axle to Durango unit) I got mine from this store, very good value for money. Im also using the included esc/ motor combo for racing.

http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-cactus...Path=1100_1247
you sure it's not his driving? Team C cars aren't made of glass. I can't see the evo breaking without driver error. I run mine weekly and don't remember the last time I broke something. It was back and forth with a B5 and my Evo in quals last week. the B5 didn't make the main because of a broken shock tower and I took the win. I also have my friends Cactus in a box under my work bench with a broken C hub. wouldn't have happened if it was aluminium like the one on the U.S spec Evo. he's waiting 2 weeks for parts from china, if I broke something, I can walk in to any hobby shop that deals with HRP and have it within a week if they don't stock it. Food for thought. I've driven the Cactus on several occasions, I helped set up my friends, it does perform well but it feels like it has a lot of flex.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vwjuice
Oh really? I didn't know that. I only knew about the front and rear hubs.

Is there a conversion kit to make it mid motor or do you have to purchase the mid motor car as well?
I have the conversion kit that I'm not using. If you get the Evo, I'll sell you my conversion. I have the upgraded rear arm mount and the camber link/shock tower mount.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

save for a nice used 22. if its what you really want, you won't be satisfied until you do.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
I can give you some tips if you are set on the TC02:
-the top plate, the one that connect the bulkhead and the steering system to the chassis needs reinforcement around the rear screws, it's too thin on that place and I broke one easily.
-the bottom plate breaks on the kickup.
-maybe the ball diff was updated, if not then it would need some work and Kyosho parts, the slipper needed a spring change.
-the rear inner ballstuds should be vertical and could be better located.
-you can't tune anti squat and inboard rear toe.
-you can't use tall(~26mm) lipos.
-front arms break usually at the inner hinge pin.
-wear is fair, steering rack, CVD's and arms are the most critical parts.

Drives well but *I* really think it could be even better on that regard.
Thanks for the input. This is the kind of info I've needed. It takes a long time to read thru hundreds or thousands of posts on each vehicle.
I've never broken a top plate there. I've had the mounts for the shock tower break but I landed upside down on my shock tower.
Lower plates do break at the kick up, Team C has released an upgraded version that drastically reduces this. even if you do break there, It a $7 part. On a B4, you're replacing the entire chassis plate.
Ball diff could be better but for now, A BFast diff upgrade is probably the best one you could put in it. I have one in mine and love it. if you don't want to deal with all the maintenance, grab the gear diff.
the inner ball studs are a bit of a pain but 6 screw moves everything out of the way to get at them. I've moved mine once the entire time i've owned my buggy so that's not a big deal to me.
all my lipos are 25mm. unless you're running 3S, it's not something to worry about.
Everything breaks if you hit something hard enough and everything wears if you use it enough.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IntegraMark
I have the conversion kit that I'm not using. If you get the Evo, I'll sell you my conversion. I have the upgraded rear arm mount and the camber link/shock tower mount.
Thanks, but it'll be a few months before I decide anything. I'm just doing the research now.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

I've never broken a top plate there. I've had the mounts for the shock tower break but I landed upside down on my shock tower.
Lower plates do break at the kick up, Team C has released an upgraded version that drastically reduces this. even if you do break there, It a $7 part. On a B4, you're replacing the entire chassis plate.
Ball diff could be better but for now, A BFast diff upgrade is probably the best one you could put in it. I have one in mine and love it. if you don't want to deal with all the maintenance, grab the gear diff.
the inner ball studs are a bit of a pain but 6 screw moves everything out of the way to get at them. I've moved mine once the entire time i've owned my buggy so that's not a big deal to me.
all my lipos are 25mm. unless you're running 3S, it's not something to worry about.
Everything breaks if you hit something hard enough and everything wears if you use it enough.
B-FAST is the only diff parts I use. They have the smoothest diffs made. After using a gear diff in my Blitz and all my 1/8 stuff I would like to try it in a buggy.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ThePanda
save for a nice used 22. if its what you really want, you won't be satisfied until you do.
If I found one locally I might go for it, but I really want a new kit to build.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Serpent Spyder SRX-2. I had much the same experience with the Associated, they just aren't that durable. The Spyder has by far the best out of the box setup I've ever encountered, it's a top shelf product at low cost.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

B-FAST is the only diff parts I use. They have the smoothest diffs made. After using a gear diff in my Blitz and all my 1/8 stuff I would like to try it in a buggy.
I've run my Evo with a b-fast diff and the gear diff. While b-fast is certainly a marked improvement over stock, I'll take the gear diff any day of the week.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 AM
Tech Elite

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the top plate but believe me, I had the "ears" where the screws go broken from the plate and it's clearly a design flaw. I've broke every kickup plate revision except for the kevlar one and the one with the screw, both I never acquired. I just do like you say, it's a cheap part. How about spurs? I've never seen other than the 80 and 81, fine for Mod but not even close for Stock racing. The lipos I was using were the Turnigy 5.0 30-40c, but any ROAR approved fits, and for the record I'm still running the TC02C, I like it very much. As you can see I drive this car since it was known to North America as the TQ SX10
So OP, it's 210$ for the TC02 Evo + Bfast or gear diff, that's B5 territory.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Have you considered Dex210 RTR ?
Replace the diff grease with oil and diff seals with silicone ones and you're good to go.
It handles great and responds to the setup changes well. Parts are not very expensive too...
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
I've run my Evo with a b-fast diff and the gear diff. While b-fast is certainly a marked improvement over stock, I'll take the gear diff any day of the week.
I see a lot of guys switching to gear diffs. They are a lot easier to use and so little maintenance. That's what I would probably use.

Originally Posted by goszu
Have you considered Dex210 RTR ?
Replace the diff grease with oil and diff seals with silicone ones and you're good to go.
It handles great and responds to the setup changes well. Parts are not very expensive too...
I've thought about a Durango, but they cost more than I will have to spend on a buggy. The eye is definitely not what I want either as I have all the electronics that I need.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

The B5 would still need a B-fast diff or a gear diff change as well so that adds to the cost of that car as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the top plate but believe me, I had the "ears" where the screws go broken from the plate and it's clearly a design flaw. I've broke every kickup plate revision except for the kevlar one and the one with the screw, both I never acquired. I just do like you say, it's a cheap part. How about spurs? I've never seen other than the 80 and 81, fine for Mod but not even close for Stock racing. The lipos I was using were the Turnigy 5.0 30-40c, but any ROAR approved fits, and for the record I'm still running the TC02C, I like it very much. As you can see I drive this car since it was known to North America as the TQ SX10
If you haven't used the updated upper and lower plate (part #T02147) I highly recommend getting it. It's a must have.
Spurs available are 86T, 80T, 77T and 75T. The kits come with 80T. we don't have a stock classes where I race but I imagine something like a 30/75 would work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.