Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
little details that can make you really faster? >

little details that can make you really faster?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

little details that can make you really faster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

WOW... One of the best threads on RCTech......

Lots of great advice here. All very good. Keep them coming....

BLINK.... yes don't forget to blink. You don't know how many times I forget to blink when racing and my eyes get all funky when I finally do...

Practice- You really need to practice with good tires and race tires to get the correct feel of what the car will do with the tires you would be racing with. You can't practice with old tires and be fast.

AND again the most important thing is to have fun. Take the good and the bad all in stride. AND some of the fast guys do have fun and laugh while racing
Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

does anyone use or think of VRC as a legit 'tool' for practicing ?

ive been racing it a bit and while the available classes on VRC aren't the same as what I race in real life, I find that its a good way to push my concentration and the length of time I can drive at 100%, because it doesn't matter if you crash. find your mental limits.

will see if it helps this weekend. heres hoping
Old 05-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vikingen
does anyone use or think of VRC as a legit 'tool' for practicing ?

ive been racing it a bit and while the available classes on VRC aren't the same as what I race in real life, I find that its a good way to push my concentration and the length of time I can drive at 100%, because it doesn't matter if you crash. find your mental limits.

will see if it helps this weekend. heres hoping
If I go a month or so without racing I find that VRC is a great way to get back in the groove and increase consistency the next time I am at the track. I think just getting used to holding and "controlling" a car, even if virtually, greatly helps in real life. Its definitely a great way to push concentration and consistency. Its a great "tool" for practicing.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Regular

Great thread!!

I'm no pro, racing for under a year now and a few things i initially overlooked in terms of setup was;

1) tires (and foam inserts)
2) shocks (springs, oils, pistons and actual shock positions)
3) camber link positions

for me the above is 90% of my setup
Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This past month of racing has been a struggle for me. Almost every qualifier i have had to find patience on the drivers stand and focus on controlling my emotions.

Nothing bothers me more than a guy next to me screaming and yelling over some issue with his car or someones marshaling technique. After all these years of racing, the tables have turned and i had to find the patience i wished others had.

This past weekend i had something go wrong every qualifier. The main i had to deal with a speedo that cut off three times over the big jump. So collectively ive had two speedos fail, two rotors ruined, one front motor bearing detonated, a failed receiver, locked rear hub bearings, and thus have been unable to effectively work on my setup.

I forgot to have fun. Its hard to have fun when youre mentally focused on competition. When my receiver failed... i stood on the stand and watched others finish their qual. I took my bug back to the pit, marshaled, and took some time to walk around and talk to others. THEN i went back to the pit and swapped receivers.

Again... its you against yourself at the track. Its mostly mental with a lot of smiles... well smiles are optional. lol
Old 05-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I gave this advice on a similar thread:

When you are struggling on a certain section of the track, GO MARSHALL THAT SPOT! As soon as your race is over, go grab it! I have found that being close to the section(s) I am struggling with will give you great insight into the line, and also the topography of that section. You will see things when watching that corner that you don't have time to see when ripping through that section. It could be something as simple as a small hump that is unsettling the car that you didn't notice. If you have good ears you can also hear braking points and general throttle position through the corners. Helped me a ton. I was coasting through a section that others were applying light throttle through. I picked up serious time after I figured it out.

Also, make friends with your fellow racers! Just talking with other racers and hearing setups, lines, and tire choice can give you tremendous insight.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lol. Yes I want everyone to go slower! Drive smooth, not slow. Lol.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DaveW
This past month of racing has been a struggle for me. Almost every qualifier i have had to find patience on the drivers stand and focus on controlling my emotions.

Nothing bothers me more than a guy next to me screaming and yelling over some issue with his car or someones marshaling technique. After all these years of racing, the tables have turned and i had to find the patience i wished others had.

This past weekend i had something go wrong every qualifier. The main i had to deal with a speedo that cut off three times over the big jump. So collectively ive had two speedos fail, two rotors ruined, one front motor bearing detonated, a failed receiver, locked rear hub bearings, and thus have been unable to effectively work on my setup.

I forgot to have fun. Its hard to have fun when youre mentally focused on competition. When my receiver failed... i stood on the stand and watched others finish their qual. I took my bug back to the pit, marshaled, and took some time to walk around and talk to others. THEN i went back to the pit and swapped receivers.

Again... its you against yourself at the track. Its mostly mental with a lot of smiles... well smiles are optional. lol
Dave,
You know there once was a time, when you never would have had a failure of any type. I know, I was right there with ya. I miss those days for sure. Bummer you've had a bad run as of late. I've seen guys quit for less issues than that. Good to see you still get out and get your race on. Fun. At the end of that day, that's why many of us started in all of this. It is unfortunate that we all will lose sight of that at some point along the way, if we stick with it long enough. Took me a long time to be ok with just having fun racing with guys I enjoy being around and not winning every race I made. Not that I don't want to, but in the end, we're not going to win every time out. I often tell guys around here that you'll have more bad days at the track than good days at some point, it is then at that point, you really need to remember the "why" you do all of this. Sadly some, just haven't figured that out yet.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Dave,
You know there once was a time, when you never would have had a failure of any type. I know, I was right there with ya. I miss those days for sure...

James... you have no idea how often i think back to 'the good ol days'.

On track failures has been something i rarely have. Its that anal retentive preparation that to this day... i still cant shake. You remember the days you had your truck torn down 3 hours after race day ended... im sure. One day i hope to rub fenders with ya again... nose to tail... corner after corner. lol

The fun factor is always there... just not always realized. That competitive spirit pushes through, knowing it can handle better so i can drive it faster. Fun gets set to the side. Ambition steps in. Unfortunately i can then tell my reflexes arent what they were 20 years ago too.

I also agree with the above post. Marshaling a trouble spot can give you an eye on what can be done to better the car. Dont be afraid to take your camber wrench or droop wrench with you (between rounds) to make calculated changes on tough parts of the track. Its the easiest/quickest way to learn what they do w/o having to burn a qualifier to find out. Wheel that section smooth, then on the edge... make changes then repeat the test. If it feels better, get on the stand and make some laps with it so you know it before the next qual.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DaveW
James... you have no idea how often i think back to 'the good ol days'.

On track failures has been something i rarely have. Its that anal retentive preparation that to this day... i still cant shake. You remember the days you had your truck torn down 3 hours after race day ended... im sure. One day i hope to rub fenders with ya again... nose to tail... corner after corner. lol

The fun factor is always there... just not always realized. That competitive spirit pushes through, knowing it can handle better so i can drive it faster. Fun gets set to the side. Ambition steps in. Unfortunately i can then tell my reflexes arent what they were 20 years ago too.

I also agree with the above post. Marshaling a trouble spot can give you an eye on what can be done to better the car. Dont be afraid to take your camber wrench or droop wrench with you (between rounds) to make calculated changes on tough parts of the track. Its the easiest/quickest way to learn what they do w/o having to burn a qualifier to find out. Wheel that section smooth, then on the edge... make changes then repeat the test. If it feels better, get on the stand and make some laps with it so you know it before the next qual.
Ha ha Dave,

I indeed do have an idea. Funny how we're now thousands of miles apart, and yet probably still often think about the same old times and perhaps yearn for a trip back to those very days. LOL.

I know full well, just how few failures you have. Your OCD for that kind of stuff is what keeps you up at night. Yes, I remember just how we'd do a full tear down after every race day. Funny the looks I get when I tell guys how often we'd need new kits back then. It's a priceless Deer in the Headlights look of disbelief. I do owe you immensely for those old times, you always were a good teacher in a time when not too many guys would take the time to actually teach. Funny the things we'd do prep wise on kits some 20 years ago, I still do to this day. Guys will ask why, and when I explain it to them, they don't always get it, but when they see what those little tricks do on the track, they usually have a few more questions and want to be shown how.

Rub fenders with ya again?
Oh man you have no idea, we really need to figure out something to make that happen. No excuses (well there are a few that would be allowed). I'm up for it for sure. Your number still good, not sure if the one I have is still good or not.

Btw,
in a little less than a week, I'm old enough for the old guy classes at some events. Masters class. LOL.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

http://simmymart.blogspot.com/2012/0...and-12-ps.html

Don't forget to pee before the mains too.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silverexpress
Lol. Yes I want everyone to go slower! Drive smooth, not slow. Lol.
Agreed! PLEASE stop with the slower is faster . Slower is slower. Smoother is faster

This is a great thread, and completely agree with the having fun part. I got rid of most of my rc's, and now have only one, my Traxxas Slash/Rally. I have way more fun with it, and turn close to the same laps as I did with my 1/8 e buggy. I drive way more smoothly with the Slash/Rally too
Old 06-06-2014, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nice even I learned some new stuff!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default nice thread

Hello all,

I race on clay mostly in the netherlands.
3 things that really work for me on clay:

1) set the brakes on your radio in such a way that the car doesn't lock its wheels during braking (2 or 4 wheel drive 1/10 buggy)

2) Take the time to set your slipper correctly

3) just a touch of understeer makes a forgiving car

just what works for me!

greetings

Hans