Wiki Posts
Search

seeking recomendation for 1/10 4wd buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
You didn't offend me. I have thick skin but thanks for asking. I just laugh when guys like you start spouting off about how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread before even driving one. If you think the car has been proven by Ty driving it then you're wrong from the get go. That kid could have taken an xray or durango or almost any other car and done as well with some setup time. He's that good. So don't overestimate the car based on what he did.

How do you know a center diff is the way to go for wheeler? Have you driven one? Has it been proven yet? From what I've read the recommended center diff weight is 100k to 300k. Ever tried running that in a 1/8 buggy? Might as well not even have a center diff if it's going to be locked down with that much syrup. Not much diff action going on there.

When you actually own one and see how good it is or isn't then come and talk. You might break a part on the first run and find out you can't get it for months. Now that would be funny.
First of all, i never said you were offended, you said i slammed him which i did not. I pointed out that the xb4 needs a few hopups. Oooo what a slam. Get over it. How is what your saying any different than what I'm saying, we are both speculating. So you are just as guilty as I. At least I admit it. The fact is that two b44 broke when tangling with the d413, fact. If you doubt a center is an improvement then how do I put it? Try running your 1/8 en buggy or truly with a slipper/spool or locked center diff. You don't think a center diff would help?! For instance, Mantisworx made a center diff for the new team c wheeler and it works exceptionally well, it makes the car easier to drive which make the car more consistent and faster. There is a ton of empirical data on how center diffs improve off road performance. The facts speak for themselves. ...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Furthermore, the thickness of the c diff fluid Ty is using does not mean the c diff is not being used as a diff. For instance, the slash 4x4 c diff typically uses 100k-300k. The point is that the size and design of the diff and it's internals dictate the range of usable of oils....
Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

And this is all funny because tlr says that ball diffs are the way to go. A lot of the team drivers want gear diffs but the engineers say that ball diffs are superior to gear diffs in handling.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by egobrkr
And this is all funny because tlr says that ball diffs are the way to go. A lot of the team drivers want gear diffs but the engineers say that ball diffs are superior to gear diffs in handling.
I like geardiffs on high grip tracks like astroturf and balldiffs on medium and low grip tracks. It feels and looks like I have better grip in corners With balldiffs on Our med/low bite track.. (TRF511) Could be the oil in the diffs also
Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ridgeracer
I thought the 22-4 was the New car to get until normal racers started to run it. I Guess 30-50% of the cars sold is sitting on the shelf waiting for parts. Parts that the pro racers never broke..
So I agree, The Hb d413 hasnt been proven yet
I never said the 22-4 was the next best thing..... and the 22-4 did break parts at worlds....
Old 04-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

I like geardiffs on high grip tracks like astroturf and balldiffs on medium and low grip tracks. It feels and looks like I have better grip in corners With balldiffs on Our med/low bite track.. (TRF511) Could be the oil in the diffs also
Agreed, I like ball diffs on low bite. With the center diff, gear diffs will have a much better sweet spot on low and high bite....
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by symmetricon
I never said the 22-4 was the next best thing..... and the 22-4 did break parts at worlds....
I thought the 22-4 was the next best thing
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

I thought the 22-4 was the next best thing
Ah...lol
Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
First of all, i never said you were offended, you said i slammed him which i did not. I pointed out that the xb4 needs a few hopups. Oooo what a slam. Get over it. How is what your saying any different than what I'm saying, we are both speculating. So you are just as guilty as I. At least I admit it. The fact is that two b44 broke when tangling with the d413, fact. If you doubt a center is an improvement then how do I put it? Try running your 1/8 en buggy or truly with a slipper/spool or locked center diff. You don't think a center diff would help?! For instance, Mantisworx made a center diff for the new team c wheeler and it works exceptionally well, it makes the car easier to drive which make the car more consistent and faster. There is a ton of empirical data on how center diffs improve off road performance. The facts speak for themselves. ...
I'm not speculating. I never said a center diff was the way to go or not. You did. I hope the car is as good as you say but I'm cautiously optimistic until I actually get one and drive and own it. Point is neither one of us own one so how can it be touted as the best when the only non team drivers that have them are the euros? Damn near any car works good on astro. And I was going by the diff fluids recommended by the designer of the car in a post here. Not what Ty is running.

Everyone knows the b44 series are the most fragile cars out. Comparing the 413 to those doesn't mean anything. Yes the 413 looks beefy but when a noob drives it and crashes the hell out of it then we will see. And hopefully parts support will be good unlike the b5m I bought last month. Or the 22-4 my buddy bought. If ae and losi have issues with parts support then I'm a little worried about hotbodies. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If you have to have some extra parts With you because your track doesnt sell them, so what
thats all well and good as long as you can get the extra parts.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcgod
How do you know a center diff is the way to go for wheeler? Have you driven one? Has it been proven yet? From what I've read the recommended center diff weight is 100k to 300k. Ever tried running that in a 1/8 buggy? Might as well not even have a center diff if it's going to be locked down with that much syrup. Not much diff action going on there.
Looks like speculation to me.... You assume since that heavy a setup would be bad in 1/8 it would be bad in 1/10th. Case in point. As I said, the thickness of the diff fluid is not the only determining factor as to how much diff action there is. My example was the slash 4x4. The team c ts4 and desc410 also did well with thick diff fluids...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

It could use that thick of diff oil because how small the diffs are and something like a 5k or 7k would thin out very fast during a race. Just my thought.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

To get back to the point of this thread, the OP is looking for a wheeler that is easy to drive, similar to a 1/8 scale e buggy.

The most similar would be a wheeler with a center diff, not the front & rear locked together with a slipper thingy.
A C-Diff will make any vehicle easier to drive on regular Joe tracks, sugar & astro, lock it all up.

Any wheeler will break in the hands of the inexperienced, given time behind the wheel, dnf's will be reduced.

I don't know about latest & greatest, but I can say that I think HB is headed in the right direction for the wheeler class doing what they can to reduce breakage and make the buggy out handle most others out there on medium to low tracks that a lot of racers will drive on.

Those that are coming from 1/8 may not be used to building ball diffs so that's something I would put on the can't do without list. A ball diff built by someone that's not a pro at it will have a crappy out of adjustment diff that has terrible performance and will probably be toast after a day of driving.
Gear diff, fill & forget. Consistent settings time and time again by using the same fluid as the last time, not some deft touch with diff screw tension.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fq06
To get back to the point of this thread, the OP is looking for a wheeler that is easy to drive, similar to a 1/8 scale e buggy.

The most similar would be a wheeler with a center diff, not the front & rear locked together with a slipper thingy.
A C-Diff will make any vehicle easier to drive on regular Joe tracks, sugar & astro, lock it all up.

Any wheeler will break in the hands of the inexperienced, given time behind the wheel, dnf's will be reduced.

I don't know about latest & greatest, but I can say that I think HB is headed in the right direction for the wheeler class doing what they can to reduce breakage and make the buggy out handle most others out there on medium to low tracks that a lot of racers will drive on.

Those that are coming from 1/8 may not be used to building ball diffs so that's something I would put on the can't do without list. A ball diff built by someone that's not a pro at it will have a crappy out of adjustment diff that has terrible performance and will probably be toast after a day of driving.
Gear diff, fill & forget. Consistent settings time and time again by using the same fluid as the last time, not some deft touch with diff screw tension.
Good point, but do you really need a center diff in 1/10 4wd to get a car that is easy to drive ? Isnt the center diff there to get rid of push in corners and prolong the life of the driveline?
My TRF511 is MY easiest 4wd to drive. I dont have my fastest lap With it, but I have my most consistent runs With it.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Would the OP be so kind as to clarify something for us. When you say "like a 1/8 buggy" what traits in particular are you after ? Jumps ? Bumps ? Corners ? Acceleration ? While a center diff may be great , it may not have anything to do with what the OP likes about 1/8 buggies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.