Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo case melted , Opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Lipo case melted , Opinions ?

I was running my stampede down at the beach last week , and put one of my Reedy 7000 65c lipos in it. During the run , the slipper bearing siezed and caused a lot of strain on the system , and My battery melted around the Bullet plug. This is a battery that has held up for months in my sc truck with no heat issues at all , so i know the load must have been big. Here is what I want opinions on ....

The case has melted around the one terminal (neg) and exposed about a half inch of the metal terminal. The terminal is still firmly attatched and does not move about freely , and the cells are all still balanced , and the charger has had no problems with the pack. I am thinking that I will insulate around the terminal , clean inside the terminal well and put it back into service. If it runs too hot in my sc truck , maybe use it in my stadium truck. BUt I would hate to toss it for this .

Ideas , Experiences ?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The melting is due to resistance. The seized bearing was just putting a strain on the battery so it was drawing more amps. I would replace your male bullet plugs with a new solid type plug also. It might be getting wore just enough where its not getting a good solid contact anymore.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have done this twice (before i changed away from the birdcage style bullets)

I tossed the batteries. for me it just isnt worth the risk.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ctsvls2
I tossed the batteries. for me it just isnt worth the risk.
+1

Unfortunate and not cheap... but the risk of damage to the lipo itself and then a fireball taking out the car or the place you keep / transport the car..

I would dispose of that lipo and replace it.

Never use birdcages on your ESC to the battery, but here that may not have been the case since it was an undo load on the system with a mechanical failure.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I never said anything about "birdcage " connectors , this was assumed. I am using the 4mm solid protek bullets on all my esc's.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
I never said anything about "birdcage " connectors , this was assumed. I am using the 4mm solid protek bullets on all my esc's.
How old are they? If the plating is wore replace them. Also you should have them push in kinda hard so they are nice and tight. If they glide right in easy then they don't fit correct.