R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Has anyone heard of Jconcepts making premounts for the Scorpion?

I saw this picture on the same Japanese blog but can't find anything on JConcepts site about it

http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-75-0e/tanatwo1970/folder/995333/86/69154586/img_4?1406736587
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #92
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I can't answer your question, but those look great! I don't know what size the re-re wheels/tires are but maybe they are the same as the RC10.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:21 AM   #93
Tech Regular

It looks like he fitted rims to the JConcepts tyres made for the re-re RC10, and then he put them back into the ziplock bag.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #94
Tech Regular

The notchy arm movement can be easily remedied by using slightly shorter dog bones. I found a pair a couple of millimeters shorter that came from (i think) a Tamiya F201 4wd f1 car.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:27 AM   #95
Tech Rookie

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here, I was reading about the Scorpion re-release and found this thread on Google. I had a Scorpion back in 1983, it was my first R/C car and - I hated it.

It was too fragile, for me at 12 years old anyway, and that combined with the glitchy 27mhz AM radio and primarily on-road driving in my neighborhood, led to damage from hitting the curb. Lightly hitting the curb... did it break the plastic bumper? Heck no, it bent the soft aluminum frame rails. I couldn't tell you how many times I had the thing apart to straighten them. Sometimes the cast suspension arms broke. Eventually I gave up, my dad got tired of buying me spare parts and I got tired of the car never running. It disappeared by the early 1990s, whether it got trashed or sold at a garage sale while I was away at college I don't know.

All through my Scorpion frustrations, I got to watch my brother bash his Tamiya Frog. I was so jealous of that Frog! Faster, and infinitely more reliable. My brother still has his original Frog and it has never broken. He told me that he upgraded it to ESC in the 1990s but otherwise it is still 100% original. I bought Tamiya's Frog reissue...

That said, I have a strange nostalgia for the Scorpion. I long ago recognized that my radio problems were not it's fault, and that it was an excellent kit... but maybe not the best choice for a little kid. I was bummed when I couldn't find my original. By the late 1990s the internet and eBay would have allowed me to restore it. I can't wait to build one again!

Regards,
Jon

Last edited by JDToumanian; 08-06-2014 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Grammar!
JDToumanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDToumanian View Post
Hey Guys,

This my first post here, I was reading about the Scorpion re-release and found this thread on Google. I had a Scorpion back in 1983, it was my first R/C car and - I hated it.

It was too fragile, for me at 12 years old anyway, and that combined with the glitchy 27mhz AM radio and primarily on-road driving in my neighborhood, led to damage from hitting the curb. Lightly hitting the curb... did it break the plastic bumper? Heck no, it bent the soft aluminum frame rails. I couldn't tell you how many times I had the thing apart to straighten them. Sometimes the cast suspension arms broke. Eventually I gave up, my dad got tired of buying me spare parts and I got tired of the car never running. It disappeared by the early 1990s, whether it got trashed or sold at a garage sale while I was away at college I don't know.

All through my Scorpion frustrations, I got to watch my brother bash his Tamiya Frog. I was so jealous of that Frog! Faster, and infinitely more reliable. My brother still has his original Frog and it has never broken. He told me that he upgraded it to ESC in the 1990s but otherwise it is still 100% original. I bought Tamiya's Frog reissue...

That said, I have a strange nostalgia for the Scorpion. I long ago recognized that my radio problems were not it's fault, and that it was an excellent kit... but maybe not the best choice for a little kid. I was bummed when I couldn't find my original. By the late 1990s the internet and eBay would have allowed me to restore it. I can't wait to build one again!

Regards,
Jon

LOL.. you and I must have been related.. these were my posts at TamiyaClub and RC10talk about the Scorpion

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/inde...73035&p=543160

My first RC was the Brat, loved the body, hated the chassis... Those stupid hex axles would fly off after every jump. Then there was the stupid front suspension design.

My second RC was the Scorpion. It was a much better design than the ORV chassis.. However It broke very often.. Much more fragile than the ORV. So it was a bittersweet relationship back then.

Now that I'm older and more pragmatic, it's pure sweet memories.. As fragile as the car was, 80% of the breakage was because of my radio glitching and the other 20% was me being a kid and not knowing that over tightening parts leads to stripping and damage.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=389481#p389481

+1 my Scorpion used to run off down the street because radio was junk. After the curb would stop it, is have to disassemble the chassis and hammer those rails straight. What a nightmare that was. This bad boy is made of T6061 and will be nice and durable. It's a welcome update.

Plus it seems Kyosho had vintage racing class in mind when they made this. I think a spec class for the Scorpion is on the horizon.

Would be really cool if they re-released the LeMans 240 motor lol. Probably a long shot since they have the Brushless LeMans now... Come to think of it, they could just do a brushless LeMans with retro anodised end bells and call it a 240
Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #97
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I bought a Re-Re because I liked the look of it. Then I was digging through a box a friend gave me and I find his original. Some parts are missing but I'm going to restore it. The one he gave me is actually the Sidewinder with the Scorpion body. Looks kind cool with the big wheels in front too. The box it came in was for the Sidewinder. Wish I had that body.
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #98
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
LOL.. you and I must have been related..

My second RC was the Scorpion. It was a much better design than the ORV chassis.. However It broke very often.. Much more fragile than the ORV. So it was a bittersweet relationship back then.

Now that I'm older and more pragmatic, it's pure sweet memories.. As fragile as the car was, 80% of the breakage was because of my radio glitching and the other 20% was me being a kid and not knowing that over tightening parts leads to stripping and damage.

+1 my Scorpion used to run off down the street because radio was junk. After the curb would stop it, is have to disassemble the chassis and hammer those rails straight. What a nightmare that was. This bad boy is made of T6061 and will be nice and durable. It's a welcome update.

Would be really cool if they re-released the LeMans 240 motor lol. Probably a long shot since they have the Brushless LeMans now... Come to think of it, they could just do a brushless LeMans with retro anodised end bells and call it a 240
Indeed we seem to have had remarkably similar RC experiences growing up!

After reading more forum discussions and looking at Google Images of Scorpions, I believe mine was the Super Scorpion. I distinctly remember it having red shock bodies and round holes in the front wheels. As for motors, I suppose a vintage kyosho motor is appropriate, but I don't think I want something too fast... Doesn't the new manual recommend 27t-33t? That's almost a crawler motor by modern standards.

My second RC car was a 1/8 gas 4wd buggy, the Thunder Tiger Silver Fox (Kyosho Land Jump), which was even worse for me than the Scorpion was. I had the same radio problems, same soft aluminum frame rails (just bigger!), and the drive train was very high maintenance... Especially the clutch needle bearings. You couldn't idle the engine for more than a minute before they melted! These two bad experiences drove me away from RC cars, and it was not until 2008, when I saw an HPI Baja on YouTube run from Barstow to Las Vegas, stopping only for fuel. I bought one the next day! It really helped me get over my RC car hang-ups, and fueled the nostalgia for my old forgotten cars of the 1980s.

My Scorpion kit is currently in transit, should be here next week. Does checking the UPS tracking number every hour make it get here faster?

Regards,
Jon
JDToumanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #99
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ordered one, I'm thinking of converting to a Tomahawk body as I like it more.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Check this baby out

Over at RC10talk
Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #101
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Testing different wheels/tires. Just about any rear wheel can fit on the scorpion. These Prolines are for an RC10. Gonna dye them black.

SMOKE-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDToumanian View Post
Hey Guys,

This is my first post here, I was reading about the Scorpion re-release and found this thread on Google. I had a Scorpion back in 1983, it was my first R/C car and - I hated it.

Regards,
Jon

How much was the Scorpion back in 1982/83 for U.S. market? I've found an old Kyosho Catalog with price in Yen...

My thought for older Kyosho and Tamiya R/C cars (80s - 90s) was Tamiya had more basher cars and Kyosho had more racing cars.

I will build a re-release Scorpion this year and add to the 80s r/c collection.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
How much was the Scorpion back in 1982/83 for U.S. market? I've found an old Kyosho Catalog with price in Yen...

My thought for older Kyosho and Tamiya R/C cars (80s - 90s) was Tamiya had more basher cars and Kyosho had more racing cars.

I will build a re-release Scorpion this year and add to the 80s r/c collection.
I paid around $160 for mine. What's the YEN price?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #104
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I paid around $160 for mine. What's the YEN price?
21,000 Yen
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
21,000 Yen
That would make it about $90 in Japan circa 1985. That's without US markup. So $160-$180 sounds about right