R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
Please say it is. Edit: I shot these pics at some event in SoCal, the rc10 wasn't out yet. That chrome one won concourse.
[IMG][/IMG]

I think the blue with sliver is Ron boormans. scorpion and the pic with the girl and her hands in her back pockets is Linda from vineland NJ
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I had a Cox also, till the RC10 came out, had them big kyosho 1/8th scale vantage shocks on it too.. lol, I want one too
Old 05-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgePravata View Post
I think the blue with sliver is Ron boormans. scorpion and the pic with the girl and her hands in her back pockets is Linda from vineland NJ
George, thanks for the memories. Do you recall the name of the shop and the event ? Late 1984. I have more pics of that race as well as a couple ranch visits. So, whats Linda up to nowadays ?

Last edited by asc6000; 05-12-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: speeling
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Would this new Goodyear tires fit the vintage Tamiya wheels
fastatfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to white03

I just put myself on the pre-order list for this awesome re-release. However, i'm curious to know what you guys are considering for power plant for this car? Kyosho's website suggests 30-27 turn motors. Is anyone considering running brushed or brushless systems and what kind of batteries nimh or lipo. Seeing that the car doesn't have the modern 12mm hex for a positive lock on the rear wheels, a high power brushless system may be out of the question. Let me know thanks!
white03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm most likely going to go with a brushed setup in the 15-19 turn range and a 2s lipo.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #37
Tech Regular

19t brushed setup for me too (taken from an Ultima SC RTR truck).
Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #38
Tech Master

I am going to use a NOS Trinity Monster Horsepower Stock Motor (27t) I have had in my box of stuff since like 1987. With a near mint TEKIN 411G.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #39
Tech Adept

I contacted Kyosho customer service and talked to 2 different reps down there. I asked a lot of questions about the car and here's what I got. The cars lower plastic tub is molded in yellow. There is also lots of room for electronics. I was also told that Lipo batteries will fit. Now, using brushless I got 2 different stories.......I was told that it can handle brushless down to 10.5. By another rep I was told that they wouldn't go any lower than a 20 turn or 17.5 brushless. The reason the motor question was brought up is due to the fact that the plastic rear wheel seats against a knurled hub and i'm concerned about stripping the backside of the wheel with too much power. Kyosho did tell me that there is more upgrades (other than the ball diff) for this car to be released. I'm kind of torn to run old equipment in it like brushed motor, brushed ESC, and NIMH batteries or getting a speed control that can run lipo on brushed. So at this stage of the game I'm considering running 1 of these four motors in this car:

Trinity CO27
Traxxas stinger 20 turn or axial 20 turn
Stock Mabuchi (Tamiya motor) silver can.
Lastly (maybe wore out) a OLD.......trinity monster horsepower from circa '87

I'm also looking at ESCs and I'm finding that those are slowly getting limited, but here's what i'm looking at:

LRP A.I. runner reverse V2.0
Traxxas XL5 with LVD

Any further suggestions would be helpful. Or, anybody with experience with this vintage car that can give some further insight would be extremely helpful! Sorry for the long post.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
I am going to use a NOS Trinity Monster Horsepower Stock Motor (27t) I have had in my box of stuff since like 1987. With a near mint TEKIN 411G.
I have old motors too but they seem to have lost all of their magnet strength. I'm thinking about zapping them.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white03 View Post

I'm also looking at ESCs and I'm finding that those are slowly getting limited, but here's what i'm looking at:

LRP A.I. runner reverse V2.0
Traxxas XL5 with LVD
You could run any brushed ESC and add a Novak smart stop. Wiring gets a little messy but it works absolutely fine.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayosaka View Post
You could run any brushed ESC and add a Novak smart stop. Wiring gets a little messy but it works absolutely fine.
I was trying to avoid a lipo alarm that's why I was looking at a traxxas XL5 w/LVD. No additional wiring required. but i'm trying to decide which type of system to run Nimh or Lipo.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

The transmission in the re-re has internal parts from an RB6. The kit will come with a ball diff and a gear diff will be optional. Therefore the transmission can handle any brushless motor that an RB6 could.

The question is what can the chassis handle, because of its dated design. I personally would not put anything more powerful than a 13.5

As for brushless versus brushed. There's a common misconception about brushless being much more powerful than brushed motors.

Brushless motors are more efficient and deliver power more smoothly. Brushed motors however are not efficient and at times have violent power bands. Mind you, I'm speaking of low turn brushed motors now silver cans. Compare a 4.5 brushless to a 5 turn brushed and you will see a big difference.

I plan on running a Novak edge with 17.5 in mine
Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #44
Tech Adept

I'm not worried about the trans. Im talking about the rear wheel hubs and stripping it out on the wheel itself.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

It will not strip that easily. Most the force is going to go through the slipper which you can adjust. Even if you lock the slipper down hard, those tyres would have to bite hard for traction to strip the hub.. Which on dirt is not that easily done... I doubt those tyres will be that grippy.. Most likely they will be good for kicking up some dirt old school style.

The hubs can also be changed out. There's a guy on eBay named Dwayne who makes CNC adapters for the circuit1000 buggies / Scorpion etc. he has versions to hex, RC10, and Tamiya